Pokemon Legends Arceus News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Light Lucario

Staff member
This was announced earlier this morning as part of the Pokemon Presents event to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the franchise:

Now this was a big surprise. I was expecting D/P remakes, although I also kept questioning if that was getting my hopes too high given how the previous Pokemon Presents went, but this is really different. It's set within the Sinnoh region, but it's in the ancient past. You can choose between Rowlet, Cyndaquil and Oshawott to create the first Sinnoh Pokedex. You can capture Pokemon by observing them, sneaking up on them and then throwing your Pokeball. You can still get your Pokemon to battle for you too.

This is quite experimental. These may be prequels, although we don't know how much they connect to D/P or if they do at all. Having a game set within ancient Sinnoh does fit nicely with the Legendary Pokemon featured in the region. Being able to choose from older starter Pokemon is quite interesting too. As happy as I am that Oshawott is included, I'm so excited that Cyndaquil was chosen. It was my first Pokemon back in Silver, so seeing it get some much needed love makes me extra happy. I really wonder how the gameplay will look like and how many Pokemon from different generations will be featured. They focus mainly on the fourth generation Pokemon during the trailer, but with Oshawott and Rowlet, it's possible that other Pokemon from different generations will be there as well. I wonder if we'll get to see the first Gyms in the Sinnoh regions or if there will be a different goal in mind too. Arceus obviously has a big role to play in the game as well.

The game is set to come out early 2022, which is quite interesting too. The past few generations have last for three years before they introduced a new one. I don't know if they could release Legends and then the ninth generation games later that year. It's possible, but it also might be too much on the developers. Although, I also don't know if I can see them waiting over another year later to release a new game, even though that might be helpful all things considered. It probably depends on when Legends will come out and if they want to incorporate some of its elements into the next game. I am curious to learn more about this game since it looks and sound really great.

Dr.Pepper

I’m intrigued by this. It came completely out of nowhere. Is this a main series game or spin off?

DonTrashRoom

Have a nice trip, see you next fall
I told my brother about this, and he's excited for it. He likes open-world games in the vein of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and he couldn't really get into SwSh because he felt they skewed too young.

the_joker

This game was certainly the biggest surprise as I didn't expect GameFreak to make a Pokemon game that wasn't a set of paired versions. I've seen a number of comparisons to Breath of the Wild, which I haven't played (yet), so those comments are pretty much meaningless to me.

I was wondering if GF would make a new set of games set in Sinnoh instead of a straight-up remake, and I guess this game sort of does that.

Honestly, I don't know what to think or expect, and the teaser didn't give away that much other than the games being set in ancient Sinnoh. On that note, I find it odd that the teaser had some narration only in the beginning. I'm fine with anything as long as the games are fun.

I suppose I wonder if this will be a "main series" game and if so, I wonder if this game will also be able to connect with Home as well as Sword and Shield and the direct Sinnoh remakes.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I’m intrigued by this. It came completely out of nowhere. Is this a main series game or spin off?
I'm pretty sure that it is a main series title. It was included with the announcement of D/P remakes and this was included as part of the updates for the Pokemon Video Game series as they put it. Plus, it is made by Game Freak, so that would make it a main series game. It does give off the impression of being a different kind of series with its setup though. I didn't notice it before, but even the Pokemon logo is colored differently as well.

Light Lucario

Staff member
Since Cyndaquil is the first Pokemon I chose back in the day, I'm definitely going to pick it as my starter in Legends. The thought of having a second file for a different team so I can choose Oshawott does sound rather tempting, especially when I am used to getting two versions, but I'll have to see just what kind of Pokemon are going to be available in Legends. Being able to start off a new kind of Pokemon game with a Cyndaquil is a big reason why I'm happy about the game and eager to learn more about it.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I also forgot to mention the release date for this game. Pokemon Legends Arceus is set to release on January 28th. I'm still a bit surprised with this release date. I know that they said it would come out early 2022, but I was expecting sometime around March or even Pokemon Day since this was possibly the first time they could have pulled that off. It is a much smaller gap from the BD/SP release window than I was expecting too. It does make me think that we'll be getting another main series title next fall as well.

As I mentioned in the other thread, there will be a Pokemon Presents on August 18th featuring news for both BD/SP and Legends Arceus. A part of me kind of hopes that they'll have more focus on BD/SP since it will be out sooner and knowing more about any new features and updates would be nice. Plus, they'll have a bit more time to promote Legends, but having about half of the Presents' runtime devoted to both games would be pretty great too.

Light Lucario

Staff member
A new trailer for the game was featured during today's Pokemon Presents:

This was such a terrific trailer. I love the scenery and the graphics have noticeably improved from its initial announcement trailer as well. I was confused when they called this the Hisui region at first, but they said it would eventually become the Sinnoh region in the future, so that made more sense.

I adore all of the new Hisuian regional forms. I honestly wasn't expecting that when this is still ancient Sinnoh, so I thought it would be focused on mostly fourth generation Pokemon. Hisuian Growlithe is just precious. I wanted a regional form for Growlithe since Sun/Moon. While Fire/Rock isn't the most ideal typing for it, it doesn't really matter when I immediately love it and want a plush toy Hisuian Growlithe. I'm still choosing Cyndaquil as my starter, but I'm sure that I'll raise a Hisuian Growlithe as well. I wonder if Hisuian Arcanine has a different type combination upon evolving. They didn't show it during the trailer. Hisuian Braviary was so cool. Braviary is one of my favorite Flying types and it was such a neat surprise to see it get a regional form. Psychic/Flying is a pretty interesting type combination for it as well. Based on the official site, it doesn't sound like Rufflet has a different form in Hisui.

Wyrdeer is just beautiful. Normal/Psychic makes so much sense for a Stantler evolution and it looks like a forest guardian too. I love that we can ride one through the Hisui region as well. I was not expecting an evolution for a Basculin, let alone something that sounds intense like Basculegion. It has a really solid design and I suspect that there's probably some differences between the Red and Blue Stripe Basculegion. This is why I love regional forms for Pokemon. They help to breathe new life into older Pokemon, give some much needed attention to less popular Pokemon like Stantler and Basculin in this case and help make the region feel more distinct. That's why I think regional forms are much better way of making older Pokemon more marketable than Mega Evolution did.

There's also the Galaxy Expedition Team. People from various regions came to Hisui to study it. The player character can join the Survey Corp to research how Pokemon live. Professor Laventon is a member of the Survey Corp and gives you a starter Pokemon. Commander Kamdo is the boss of Galaxy Team, as well as Professor Rowan's ancestor. Captain Cyllene is the leader of the Survey Corp. While they don't confirm it, she is clearly supposed to be Cyrus' ancestor. I don't know if this means that she'll secretly be a villain. They describe her as being your biggest supporter despite being strict during the Presents, but they could be trying to throw people off her track. I suspect that we'll see Cynthia's ancestor as well. Barry is also pretty likely, especially when his father is also in charge of the Battle Tower in the games, but Cynthia's ancestor being featured in this game is pretty much a guarantee.

The battle and catching methods are much more different here as well. You can enter into a battle by throwing a Pokeball, but it won't be a typical turn based battle. A Pokemon's stats and other factors can determine how many actions you can make and it what order. Seeing the player character being attacked and injured from Pokemon attacks was rather intense. The fact that we have to hide in the tall grass to avoid those kind of attacks is also quite funny. The Agile and Strong Styles also sound really cool. It's a different way to battle to help against some really strong Pokemon too.

I really like that completing the Pokedex involves more than just catching Pokemon. As fun as catching Pokemon is, not having to do anything else with them afterwards might have been an issue, especially when we don't know if there's anything else to do in the game yet. Completing the first Pokedex for the Hisui region is the main objective, but I just wonder if there's more to it than that. Getting to see the creation of Gyms would be really cool. I assume that there will be some kind of trainer battles. That might be more likely if we do have a human antagonist. We also still don't know what role Arceus has in this game either.

Much like the BD/SP trailer, this made me even more excited for Legends Arceus. I love the Hisuian forms and I hope that we'll get a good amount of them in the game, especially when those will be effectively the only new Pokemon here. Being able to slowly explore the Hisui region and getting to interact with Pokemon that I capture and observe in the wild sounds so much fun. The focus on exploration feels especially great and fitting when that was one of the main aspects of Sword/Shield as well. I'm so eager for this game and I hope that we'll get more consistent information on Legends Arceus as well.

the_joker

New regional forms/evolutions for Pokemon that debuted in games after Gen 4, and the game is set in the past. I find it amusing that these new forms aren't in those "future games" or maybe even went extinct, but they obviously exist for gameplay and maybe marketing purposes. Of course, those new forms might be kept in future games depending on how the Pokedex is handled.

It looks like the player character can have more interactions with wild Pokemon such as sneaking around and taking damage from their attacks. You can still battle with them in a turn-based style as usual with your own Pokemon (though there are some new features for battling), but will the player character have any other inputs other than deciding their Pokemons' attacks? I'm wondering how multiplayer battles will work out.

There's still talk about completing the Pokedex, but since that's not exactly a priority when I play the games, what will the main story be about? Notably, there still isn't anything on what role Arceus will play unless they just want to withhold that to prevent spoilers.

Honestly, I still don't have much to say. Sure, they may be trying to do something different, but I feel like I can only judge how good the differences are by actually trying the game since seeing footage can only do so much.

Light Lucario

Staff member
New regional forms/evolutions for Pokemon that debuted in games after Gen 4, and the game is set in the past. I find it amusing that these new forms aren't in those "future games" or maybe even went extinct, but they obviously exist for gameplay and maybe marketing purposes. Of course, those new forms might be kept in future games depending on how the Pokedex is handled.
I think that they'll find someway to include these Hiusian forms in future games. Plenty of people have also speculated that they're extinct, but I think that's too depressing and a bit odd when most of these are evolved forms of older Pokemon that still exist within the games. I'm sure that they wanted to provide something new to the games instead of just relying on older Pokemon, but I don't think it would be that hard to recton these Hisuian forms into modern settings.
It looks like the player character can have more interactions with wild Pokemon such as sneaking around and taking damage from their attacks. You can still battle with them in a turn-based style as usual with your own Pokemon (though there are some new features for battling), but will the player character have any other inputs other than deciding their Pokemons' attacks? I'm wondering how multiplayer battles will work out.
Seeing the player character being struck by lightening was such a surprisingly brutal moment in the trailer. Maybe the trainer can also dodge if the Pokemon attacks aim at them during the battle.
There's still talk about completing the Pokedex, but since that's not exactly a priority when I play the games, what will the main story be about? Notably, there still isn't anything on what role Arceus will play unless they just want to withhold that to prevent spoilers.
I think that completing the Pokedex will be the main objective of the game. I'm sure that there's more to the story beyond that, but there is a large focus on exploration and studying Pokemon. I still like the idea of being able to see how Pokemon Gyms began in the Hisui region. I also wonder if Arecus has a different form in the game. They showed Arecus in non gameplay footage during the announcement trailer, but it hasn't been shown in the newest trailer or featured on the box artwork, so that could be a potential sign that Arecus will have different form.
Honestly, I still don't have much to say. Sure, they may be trying to do something different, but I feel like I can only judge how good the differences are by actually trying the game since seeing footage can only do so much.
I can understand that. There have been times where watching trailers or gameplay footage didn't do much for me, but then I feel much more invested and excited for a game after I actually get a hold of it. That's pretty much what happened with Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee. I just really like the idea behind this game. It's experimental and a creative way to explore new ideas for the franchise. I also really hope that we get a solid amount of Hisuian forms since I love regional forms and the ones featured here thus far are all terrific too.

Light Lucario

Staff member
New trailers for the game came out yesterday as well:

There was quite a bit of news here. We have Noble Pokemon, which are special Pokemon that have received a mysterious blessing. There are also Wardens who serve these special Pokemon. They protect Noble Pokemon by making sure that their territories are safe and provide offerings of food and water. It reminded me a lot of the Island Challenge from the seventh generation games. I think it could be a good way to give the game more structure and so that it isn't all about going on missions. Plus, the Island Challenge felt pretty refreshing and surprisingly challenging at points for me. If this is anything like that concept, then I'd be pretty happy. There are some Noble Pokemon who you call upon to basically be your Ride Pokemon, which is pretty cool.

They also showed off some of the Wardens. Mai is obviously Marley's ancestor, while Arezu is Mars' ancestor. I didn't realize that Lian was Clayton's ancestor until other people pointed it out and I can really see it more with his design and outfit. Iscan has a pretty nice design and I'm sure that being scared of Ghost type Pokemon while he cares for Basculegion will be a bit of a gag. It's also possible that we'll have some trainer battles with some of the Wardens. Given the setting, we probably won't battle trainers as often as we do in other main series titles, but having a few select trainers who we can battle to mix it up from battling wild Pokemon would be nice.

I'm not sure how I feel about Kleavor. I thought it was going to be a new form of Sycther originally, so finding it with a different name threw me off. Seeing it covered in gold light probably didn't help matters either. I think that it is a pretty cool concept. It looks like a really ancient form of Sycther. It works well, but I think that initial confusion upon seeing it is still affecting how I see it. I'm sure it will grow on me more over time.

The Pokemon with the glowing red eyes are called Alphas. They're really strong Pokemon, but they can drop rare items if you defeat them in battle. The official website also mentions the Arc Phone. It is a bit odd to give the players a phone in such an ancient technology, but it's clearly going to connect back to Arecus, so I'm okay with it. It has a pretty cool design too.

They showed off a lot of trainer customization options too. Not too many of the outfits or hair styles caught my attention, but it's good to know that we have options to customize our character. Taking photos with our Pokemon sounds like cute fun too. They also have a ranch area where you can leave your extra Pokemon. I hadn't thought of a replacement for the PC box, but it makes sense. There are some pretty cool details here. I'm curious as to what roles the Noble Pokemon and Wardens will play in the game in particular.

Light Lucario

Staff member
There is a new video out for Legends Arceus. It's relatively short, but I figured it was worth sharing:

It's extremely creepy and quite fitting for the spooky month of October. We only see some Snorunt, but the narrator describes some other Pokemon at the end, which could be a new Hisuian form. My first thought was that they were using the Arc Phone as a recorder, but it could have been a relatively new recorder instead, especially if the Arc Phone is exclusive to the player character. It's also a bit surprising to get even a small update without BD/SP news to go with it since they've been releasing information for both games at the same time.

Light Lucario

Staff member
And we have a clearer version of this footage in a new video:

It confirms that the mysterious Pokemon were Hisuian Zorua and Zoroark. Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that they confirmed it so quickly. I thought that they wouldn't reveal it until the next big trailer for some reason. Teasing it with the first creepy video was a good way to create more hype and speculation about it though.

My initial thought when watching the first video was Hisuian Arcanine, but it wouldn't have been that small and its size probably wouldn't have been round either. Hisuian Zoura was the most common theory going around with the first video and there was quite a bit of evidence pointing toward it. Even its cry could be heard in the first video, Zorua being mixed up with Growlithe or Vulpix would make sense and people even pointing out the 7:06PM and 7:07PM time frames matched with Zorua and Zoroark's Pokedex entries.

I really like their designs. Hisuian Zorua looks so cute. I was a bit caught off guard with Hisuian Zoroark's design at first. I think that the fangs or the way its mane looked just threw me off, but after watching the video again, it looks better than I thought. You can hear footsteps after the person is attacked, so unsurprisingly, he didn't actually die like people kept saying. To be fair, the first video was quite deliberate with how it was made, so I'm sure that they knew how people would respond to that ending.

Hisuian Zorua and Zoroark are also Normal/Ghost types. I thought that it would be part Ice type due to the ice mountain and the focus on Snorunt, but giving them a new unexpected type combination is much better. I really like these Hisuian forms. I really hope that we'll see how Hisuian Zorua and Zoroark look in gameplay footage and in official artwork soon.

Light Lucario

Staff member
A new trailer for Legends Arceus came out earlier today:

We got to see in-game footage of Hisuian Zorua and Zoroark, as well as their official artwork. They both look so great. I didn't realize that Hisuian Zorua had little black paws from the reveal earlier this week. Hisuian Zorua looks so sad yet cute, while Hisuian Zoroark looks more intimidating.

According to the official website, Zorua migrated to the Hisui region after being driven from other lands by people and they were shunned for creating their illusions. But Zorua died due to the harsh environment in the Hisui region and strife with other Pokemon. They were reborn as Ghost types through the power of their malice towards humans and Pokemon. I usually take Pokedex entries about Ghost types with a grain of salt. They often sound too exaggerated and sometimes don't really make sense, such as Bannette being a possessed doll despite being the evolved form of Shuppet. However, the explanations for these regional forms usually make sense and they already had a pretty dark explanation for Basculegion too.

This would be a really sad and heartbreaking reason for how Hisuian Zorua came to be. Even its illusions are created from the spiteful power from the fur around its head and tail. Hisuian Zoroark also sounds intense with how it's suppose to be hostile and aggressive towards people and other Pokemon. Although, I wonder if Hisuian Zorua could evolve via friendship. The official site said that it also has a compassionate streak for those it considers to be like family. I really like these Hisuian forms and hopefully we'll be able to learn more about Hisuian Zorua and Zoroark in the game.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Much like Sandra Equihua, Lauren Faust also tried pitching her own version of Jem And The Holograms. Much like with Sandra, her pitch didn't go through when the live action movie bombed.

According to Xiaolinpedia, "Xiaolin Chronicles" was supposed to be a three-season saga. Instead, a fan made a huge scandal across the internet because of the show's hiatus and demanded the show back. Even worse, the show's creative force and some of the international VAs passed away shortly after the show ended. How about that?

Apparently, Josh Keaton was in a boy band when he was a teenager.
Help me, i have curse of globo 2021 logo, in which graphic is my passion, forcing to change my pfp to that globo logo.
UPDATE: I AM UNCURSED!

Featured Posts