Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl News and Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Light Lucario

Staff member
Pokemon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are now available:

I'll be able to pick up my copies later on today, but hopefully I'll have fun playing through them, exploring Sinnoh again and picking out my new teams.

the_joker

I haven't gotten my copy yet as I wanted to read more about its contents before deciding whether it was worth buying, and I'm feeling a tad mixed based on what I'm seeing.

The biggest bones I have to pick are the lack of a Battle Frontier and the entire National Pokedex not being in the game. I actually spend a majority of my time in the battling facilities in theses games, and I definitely would have liked other kinds of facilities instead of just single and double battles with streaks. And I would have also liked to use Pokemon from future generations in an "older" region. It's also much easier than ever to get a legit competitive Pokemon especially when compared to the DS games, so why not include a Battle Frontier to make that effort pay off? On a sidenote, I still would like breeding to be easier/simpler as it can still be time-consuming, but at least the steps that have been taken are something.

On another sidenote, I also read about the Platinum outfits being available via code. Why not just put that in the base game? It's hardly a deal-breaker, but that doesn't stop me from saying that these limited-time codes are still pointless.

Thankfully, there were some things that caught my interest upon reading about them.
The biggest one is the rematches with the Gym Leaders and Elite 4 being quite challenging with their Pokemon having 31 IVs in each stat, being EV trained, and having a useful nature. Their Pokemon can even have their hidden abilities, and that minor bit actually surprised me the most as I actually appreciate that touch for trying to make them a little more difficult. Now, if they tried to make the postgame battles more challenging, why couldn't there be a Battle Frontier?

I'm still waiting for more info about the Battle Tower. At least it seems that the nature mints, ability capsules, ability patches, and bottle caps seem to be around in the games and likely much easier to obtain than in Sword and Shield.

I might pick up the game at some point, but it's not a priority for me at the moment.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I haven't gotten my copy yet as I wanted to read more about its contents before deciding whether it was worth buying, and I'm feeling a tad mixed based on what I'm seeing.

The biggest bones I have to pick are the lack of a Battle Frontier and the entire National Pokedex not being in the game. I actually spend a majority of my time in the battling facilities in theses games, and I definitely would have liked other kinds of facilities instead of just single and double battles with streaks. And I would have also liked to use Pokemon from future generations in an "older" region. It's also much easier than ever to get a legit competitive Pokemon especially when compared to the DS games, so why not include a Battle Frontier to make that effort pay off? On a sidenote, I still would like breeding to be easier/simpler as it can still be time-consuming, but at least the steps that have been taken are something.
Honestly, I wasn't surprised by them not including the Battle Frontier. After what happened with OR/AS and how they were sticking pretty close to D/P specifically, I kind of expected it to not have it. While I was able to go through the Battle Frontier relatively easier than the first one in HG/SS, I don't have a lot of fondness for it either. I was mainly disappointed with the Battle Frontier being removed in OR/AS because I wanted to have another chance at getting those symbols. I can understand the disappointment and having something like that to make use of the competitive Pokemon you can get in-game would be nice, but it admittedly doesn't really bother me.

As for not including the entire National Pokedex, I also thought that was going to happen. I recall FR/LG and HG/SS having the then recent generations available post-game, but I don't remember if that was the case for OR/AS. Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee also just stuck to the first generation of Pokemon, so this wouldn't be the first time a remake stuck to its specific generation. As cool as it would be to travel through Sinnoh with later generation Pokemon, I can't really blame them for sticking with the first four generations. If they included the entire National Pokedex in this game, then that probably would have made people even more upset over Sword/Shield.

On another sidenote, I also read about the Platinum outfits being available via code. Why not just put that in the base game? It's hardly a deal-breaker, but that doesn't stop me from saying that these limited-time codes are still pointless.

Yeah, I think that they should have been available in-game too. I can kind of understand why they'd want to have another limited event to encourage people to get the game sooner rather than later. They often have specific Pokemon available for early purchase bonus like the Manaphy egg, but doing the same thing for the Platinum outfits seemed a bit excessive, especially when plenty of people would want those outfits but wouldn't be able to get the games that fast.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Then something bad is intensifying!
Asa
Peanuts creator Charles Schultz would've turned 99 years old today.
Lost of Christmas stuff on tonight Frosty and Frosty Returns is on CBS tonight, it's always on the night after Thanksgiving, so is Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer on The CW, and NBC has the Original Grinch, ABC has Santa Claus is Comin' to town (though if you prefer to watch this one un edited Freeform is the better place to watch it )
Nick@nite finally got new Christmas brand just today started 6am!

Featured Posts