Pokémon: The First Movie - Mewtwo Strikes Back Talkback (Spoilers)

Gotta Catch 'em All!

• 10 Poké balls

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • 9 Poké balls

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • 8 Poké Balls

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7 Poké Balls

• 6 Poké Balls

• 5 Poké Balls

• 4 Poké Balls

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • 3 Poké Balls

• 2 Poké Balls

• 1 Poké Ball

• 0 Poké Balls

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters

Duke

Truer Words Were Never Spoken
Don't mess with Mother Nature This is the official talkback thread for the first Pokémon movie "Mewtwo Strikes Back," marking the Pocket Monsters debut on Toonami.

Yes, we all know the Pokémon series doesn't belong on Toonami, and this will probably be the last time this Pokémon movie appears on the block (unless there's a Toonami channel, maybe), so please refrain from any flaming for the show being on the block. Also, please try not to turn this into an Anti-4Kids thread (No matter how tempting it may be), as they're already rampant on the Anime Forum. We know this thing is VERY different from the Japanese version, we don't need endless posts bashing 4Kids for changes. If you are curious about what was edited, here's an edit list, including video changes in the Japanese versions.

Also, if you missed them in theaters or on Cartoon Network's Fridays a few months ago, try and check them out now. There are some really cool moments in the films, and Pikachu gets slapped silly in this one.

Duke

Dogasu's site seems to be down at the moment, for some reason. And just when he left for Japan too.

Duke

Meh, decent intro. I'm surprised they didn't show any battle footage though...

Wait, WHAT!? WTF! They're showing Pikachu's Vacation!? THIS doesn't belong on Toonami! It didn't play on Fridays, so why here!?

MattThomasM2B

The End Is Here.
Duke said:
Also, please try not to turn this into an Anti-4Kids thread (No matter how tempting it may be), as they're already rampant on the Anime Forum. We know this thing is VERY different from the Japanese version, we don't need endless posts bashing 4Kids for changes. If you are curious about what was edited, here's an edit list, including video changes in the Japanese versions.
Well damn, take all the fun out of it why don't you?

Well...............hmmmmmmmmm.........

The Toonami custom intro made the movie look badass. I didn't know that they would show Pikachu's Vacation..........I've seen all this before so...................uh..........................*Changes the channel.*

SNS

Duke said:
Wait, WHAT!? WTF! They're showing Pikachu's Vacation!? THIS doesn't belong on Toonami! It didn't play on Fridays, so why here!?
I'm guessing it's to fit the two hours.

Beat

Retired
Oh, the pain...

Thankfully, this seems like the last time Pokemon will have sullied Toonami.

Vyse

Duke said:
Meh, decent intro. I'm surprised they didn't show any battle footage though...

It's a rare opportunity. Record it now for posterity! Because you know it will not air again!
Hey, maybe we can get the other animated short that came with Pokemon 2000 (not shown on Fridays, as well)?

Duke

Vyse said:
It's a rare opportunity. Record it now for posterity! Because you know it will not air again!
Hey, maybe we can get the other animated short that came with Pokemon 2000 (not shown on Fridays, as well)?
I have all 5 movies on DVD. :p

If they were going to show a movie, they shoulda showed Movie 3, as that is argueably the best of the first 3 Poké-Movies.

Obi

SEVEN. MONDAY.
Duke said:
So they don't have to air PPG later.

Yash

dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura
Duke, the Pikachu shorts were edited out in every Friday airing, I guess for eyecatch time. In every following airing they were restored, since Fridays use more time up for eyecatches.

Umino

Honey Flash?
Ah! Can someone get me a screen of Chansey and Jigglypuff in a hotair ballon? ^^

Did anyone else notice that Omastar in the pool? Plothole :p

William C. Maune

TZ News Editor in Chief
I wonder why the heck they are showing the Pikachu thing when it wasn't on Fridays? Powerpuff Girls fits on Toonami way better than this. Just seeing the 4Kids logo on Toonami made me jump a little, but then this Pikachu thing...

Duke

Loser said:
Duke, the Pikachu shorts were edited out in every Friday airing, I guess for eyecatch time. In every following airing they were restored, since Fridays use more time up for eyecatches.
They coulda played an episode of GT to please FUNimation. :p

I will admit, the water race is one of my favorite moments, because Squirtle rocks. (I miss Squirtle...) Also, the Pikachu/Raichu race is pretty funny. I just Pidgeotto got a real role. At least it actually showed up unlike the main feature... :shrug:

For those of you who have no idea why I said that, and to waste space, Pidgeotto is THE most screwed over Pokémon in the series EVER. It got only 1 spotlight episode (Even Primeape, which appeared for only 5 episodes, had more), it got beaten in every Gym Battle except the final one (the battle against Misty was undecided, but it probably would've been beaten), it didn't participate in ANY Pokémon League battles, and whenever it appeared (especially after Ash got Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle), all it did was punch Team Rocket's balloon or blow smoke away. Poor Pidgeotto...

I should make a Pidgeotto shrine.

EDIT: So Mewtwo, Charizard, Blastoise, Venusaur, and Rhyhorn are all cute? Or is TOM talking about Psyduck?

Y'know, now that I think about it, I'm shocked Toonami didn't use the line "We dreamed of creating the strongest Pokémon...and we succeeded" in any of its promos.

Also, for those wondering about the sound, it was intentional. It was truly made for a surround system. Mewtwo was supposed to be heard on all channels when it was saying something aloud using its psychic powers, and only be heard in the front channels when it was thinking to itself.

And this is probably a record on Pokémon for human deaths. First all the scientists at the beginning, and now the guy with the Fearow. If only they'd played the Uncut Mewtwo's Origin instead of Pikachu's Vacation.

Duke

You know, my roommate hated the English ending songs, so he turned on the CD I had in the DVD Player while playing Colloseum, and it ended up on "Watshi Rashiku," the ending for Nadesico, and you know what? That song was a perfect ending song!

Duke

William C. Maune said:
Did they show a promo for next week's movie? I didn't catch one, but I didn't see the whole thing.
I didn't see one. The next one is Pokémon 2000, right?

MattThomasM2B

The End Is Here.
Duke said:
You know, my roommate hated the English ending songs, so he turned on the CD I had in the DVD Player while playing Colloseum, and it ended up on "Watshi Rashiku," the ending for Nadesico, and you know what? That song was a perfect ending song!
No it's not. Watshi Rashiku is more of a mellow, relaxing beat. That song does not cary a tone that says, "You've just seen an epic movie," like........

Wait for it..........

The original japanese ending music, Kaze to Issho ni. (I think that's the name).

But I must say that I'm embarassed to admit that the American montage of songs wasn't that bad.

Yash

dr. yashouzeke "loser" asakura
I stopped watching after the first part.

Of the real movie. Y'know, when Mewtwo goes beserk.

Everything else... uh, sucked.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts