"Planet Hulk" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment on This Feature

• Total voters

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
My plebeian guess would be that they couldn't secure the rights to the FF and affiliated characters by the time this went into production. This is probably why Silver Surfer couldn't appear and why Reed Richards and Black Bolt's faces are constantly obscured by shadows with only recognizable silhouettes.

Barbossa

This was a great movie, but does anyone know how the movie is doing in the sales chart?

zembrianator

This was a great movie, but does anyone know how the movie is doing in the sales chart?

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/2010/0PLHU.php

I was looking for the sales info. on planet hulk as well, but I guess it's too soon for them to have it out yet. The other marvel DTV sales figures on wiki are sourced from the-numbers.com

On a somewhat related note while searching for the sales, i found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Hulk-Two-Disc-Special/dp/B002WNUVK2

Where they show the 6 images from planet hulk, click on the third one where it's a close up of his face staring up to the sky...couldn't stop laughing.:D

GL's Light

Keeper of the Green Flame
The Numbers now has the first week sales figures:

Planet Hulk was #5 on the DVD sales chart in its first week, selling 153,026 units for revenue of $2,323,822. That's just for DVD sales and doesn't include DVD rentals or Blu-ray sales and rentals.

By comparison the first week DVD sales of the last three Marvel DTVs were: Hulk Vs sold 178,894 units and made $3,014,221; Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow sold 61,806 units and made $926,472; Doctor Strange sold 100,218 units and made $1,502,268.

Barbossa

Cool thanks for the info. Thats an ok debut for the film.I also read somewhere it was at number 3 on the blu ray chart in its first week .I only care because I want Lionsgate to renew their contract with Marvel to make more movies

GL's Light

Keeper of the Green Flame
I only care because I want Lionsgate to renew their contract with Marvel to make more movies
I wonder, though, whether Disney will step in and start producing Marvel DTVs instead of allowing a Lionsgate renewal.

Hypestyle

I enjoyed the film-- I hope it continues to be promoted, and gets broadcast on cable soon... heck, they might even be able to get it on MyNetwork TV..

FightingDreamer

Mutant on the Rise
With this, Marvel finally has an animated DTV that can stand on its own alongside the DCU line (Hulk Vs. was great, but that was more like two OVAs). It's a heck of a ride and filled to the brim with great action. Laundry list time!:
-The voice acting is pretty great all around, and that's one nice thing I've always been able to say about Marvel's DTVs: whatever their faults, voice acting is generally not one of them. I particularly liked Rick Wasserman's Hulk, and I hope we hear more of him in the future.
-The action is simply astonishing, perhaps even topping Hulk Vs. in brutality and awesomeness. I particularly love everything with Beta Ray Bill and the end fight. The animation itself loses a bit of fluidity in some of the non-action stuff, but Madhouse thankfully pulls out all the stops for the fight scenes.
-The story is pretty interesting, though I can't help but feel that some of these tropes are a bit well-worn. Still, they're executed very well, and the various character arcs are all interesting.

This definitely makes me want to read the comic now, but as a film Planet Hulk succeeds mightily.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I enjoyed the film-- I hope it continues to be promoted, and gets broadcast on cable soon..
It may have been half a year since the release but it looks like it's finally happening.

http://marvel.toonzone.net/news.php?action=fullnews&id=576

It's cool to see that XD is finally airing one of the animated movies and hopefully more will air in the future. I'm really curious to see how it will be edited though. There's no language to speak of but some of the violence does get pretty intense. While they probably edit something like what happens to the bugs in the arena, the bombing scene will be really hurt if they cut too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaveh77

It may have been half a year since the release but it looks like it's finally happening.

http://marvel.toonzone.net/news.php?action=fullnews&id=576

It's cool to see that XD is finally airing one of the animated movies and more will air in the future. I'm really curious to see how it will be edited though. There's no language to speak of but some of the violence does get pretty intense. While they probably edit something like what happens to the bugs in the arena, the bombing scene will be really hurt if they cut too much.
I saw an ad for Planet Hulk a few days ago and they showed the Marvel logo again. Im happy Disney is serious about this Marvel stuff and that it has a great home on tv.

jph139

Immortal
Watched it earlier, and MAN, that was a good movie. I never really bothered looking into this one, because frankly the concept felt kind of stupid to me, but it was on TV, and in HD, so, why not?

Definitely regret my choice. Loved the characters (the designs in particular; those red guys were just really, really cool looking - reminded me of Korugarans from DC), good action, just a solid movie all around.

macattack

I see you!
Staff member
Reporter
The edited version was . . . interesting. Disney XD kept a lot more than I thought they would, but they also made some jerky, obvious edits. Kaven's death was edited big time, and there was Miek's arm getting slashed off. Odd, considering they kept impalings, people getting vaporized, bleeding, most punches/kicks . .

I don't really have much to say, considering I've already seen the movie. The Ocean Group VAs that participated did great work, as did the Los Angeles VAs. Studiopolis and Ocean Westwood teamed up well together, and I hope we get more cast lists like this. It would be great if they use Westwood for some characters in Avengers down the line. Probably the standout was Lisa Ann Beley as Caiera, that was probably the best acting I've ever heard from her, she filled her Sumeragi Lee Noriega (Gundam 00) voice with emotional depth she never managed with that other role, and it helps that Caiera's story was the most intact of them all.

The animation was great, the score fit well (cellos work better than brass, the traditional Hulk motif, surprisingly), the character designs are memorable, and it condensed the Planet Hulk storyline into a compact yet effective film. Other than there should've been at least one or two moments with Banner I think this movie was an overall success.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The edited version was . . . interesting. Disney XD kept a lot more than I thought they would, but they also made some jerky, obvious edits. Kaven's death was edited big time, and there was Miek's arm getting slashed off. Odd, considering they kept impalings, people getting vaporized, bleeding, most punches/kicks . .
Yeah, the edits definitely felt jerky at times but it was interesting to see some of what slid by. It's kind of funny how much blood they'll allow when it's not red. It's even funnier when it looks like the blood on the Red King's face looks like it's digitally removed (could have just looked that way to my faulty eyes). Some stabbing scenes remain while others are cut (a stab is a stab in my eyes). I was surprised to see the Red King's fate kept fully intact.

All in all, it was nice to finally revisit this movie. The grim nature of it has kept me from really giving it any second views like I normally do with these. I knew that I thought it was really good the first time but I had begun to forget just what I liked about it so it was nice to be reminded. I'm curious as to how this went over with younger viewers.

Azrayel

I just watched the DXD one I recorded and I think I am the only one who dislikes this movie.

in fact this is one of the cheesiest DTV's I've ever seen. So yes I did not like this movie at all, and I really can't put my finger on exactly on what I didn't like because there was so much.

redlion

I just watched the DXD one I recorded and I think I am the only one who dislikes this movie.

in fact this is one of the cheesiest DTV's I've ever seen. So yes I did not like this movie at all, and I really can't put my finger on exactly on what I didn't like because there was so much.

More cheesier than saving Earth from a Kryptonite meteor by piloting a giant Japanese Robot built by a kid, into it?..........Really? To each his own I guess.

Azrayel

More cheesier than saving Earth from a Kryptonite meteor by piloting a giant Japanese Robot built by a kid, into it?..........Really? To each his own I guess.

Yes to me it was. Now there were very little parts in this movie I enjoyed but like I said before I just didn't like it.

How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

City Escape was the best 3-D Sonic level until Sonic Colors. It's so much better than other 3-D Sonic levels (including other levels in the same game).
Blathers' museum in Animal Crossing: New Horizons gives me some Foster's Home vibes
Is it wrong that I think Gwyneth Paltrow is fairly useless? Yeah, she was Pepper. But what good has she done lately besides creating the stupidest headlines imaginable?
Loving the rumor of a BTAS revival. Personally I would far prefer a JLU one, but maybe this could lead to that.

Here is my major suggestion for the BTAS revival:

MAKE IT KID-FRIENDLY

Contd...
I am now old enough to drink! I'm 21!

Featured Posts