Places to Watch Yu-Gi-Oh!

Light Lucario

Staff member
Just heard from a Nick Rep if Vrains will air on Nicktoons in the USA..

It's really not surprising that Nicktoons isn't going to air Vrains. If they were, they would have jumped into it not too long after they aired Arc V's third season. Considering that it has been about a year since they aired Arc V and Teletoons has already aired the first season, there's no chance that Nicktoons would get Vrains. I don't think that would be a good thing anyway. Vrains would be on TV, but based on what happened to Zexal and Arc V, they wouldn't air the whole series, so there wouldn't be much of a point to putting it on that channel again.

4Kids4EverFandom said:
Nope. So That Leaves Konami Cross Media with 3 Possible/likely options.
1. Air it Disney XD if they can do it by winter 2020 and get the rights to it.
2. Stream weekly on Hulu/Netflix Release or pair with it per DVD/Blu Ray Digital Release. Or Stream it on Hulu, Netflix/Crunchyroll weekly
3. Make a streaming service for only Yu-Gi-Oh Dubs only (Online Streaming Services for Subs and Dubs) for all smart tv's and streaming devices. And for free or reasonably low price.
Not sure if Universal Kids or Cartoon Network could air it. Universal Maybe but Cartoon Network is a small chance. Unless they do a 180 on airing anime and popular anime shows.
What do you think Konami Cross media might do? Assuming if they are considering these are planning it alternatively.

Out of those possibilities, streaming the series on Hulu or another streaming site would probably be the best option. Disney XD would be their best chance at a TV deal and they'd eventually have all of the other dubs on their website, but I imagine that they aren't interested in getting Vrains. They would have aired it by now if they wanted to. There's no way Cartoon Network would air it either. I don't know about Universal Kids, but that's probably not really an option either. Honestly, I don't think that the Vrains dub has much of a chance when it comes to airing on a U.S. TV channel. Not only because of how the spin-off series have been generally unpopular here, but also because the Japanese version will be over soon. We'll inevitably get a new summoning method for the next series. Granted, I don't know if the next series has a much better chance of airing in the U.S. either, but I don't think that too many channels would be interested in a series that won't even be promoting the newest cards in the near future.

A streaming service just for Yu-Gi-Oh! wouldn't be that practical, especially when there are already quite a few other streaming sites out there. Putting the dub on already established sites like Hulu or Crunchyroll would make much more sense than making a brand new site just for Yu-Gi-Oh! series.

Anyways, From the way it was implied it sounds they Outside of US countries to Air Yu-Gi-Oh and let the card game be here in the us but no anime. If they had just stuck to the streaming plan like they did with Zexal Season 3 Dub on Hulu week - they would've streamed Arc-V and Vrains Dub Weekly either crunchy roll Netflix or Hulu Weekly and it would had success. It's like they want the dub to not air the us anymore..

I don't know if those series would have been successful for a number of reasons, but the release schedule would have been more consistent at least and they could possibly use a streaming format to catch up with the Japanese version. There is no good reason why the dub has to be over a year behind the Japanese version, especially when the dub starts to promote slightly outdated cards as a result.

4Kids4EverFandom said:
Another option they at least try to do is upload the dub weekly to their YouTube like bushiroad. I mean that answer is very clear and literally right in front them. It's proven successful with bushiroad's anime shows so why Konami with Yu-Gi-Oh! I would love for them to try that new method.

Legal streaming will help them a lot and flourish more card game. instead waiting for Canada or Australia to air them.

My guess is that they're just really intent on getting a TV deal. TV exposure is still important and helpful in this day and age, so I can see why they'd want that. But at the same time, it's doing more harm than good to not make the dub legally available at all. A part of me kind of wonders they they even bother to dub the series anymore if they aren't going to make it legally available online at least.

4Kids4EverFandom said:
Although, I am very that Konami is not like 4Kids (Chris Beaumont said on a email reply post from reddit) so I'm very confident they complete Vrains and dub the 7th series at the same time. They do have more a manpower and plenty of financial resource to complete and do it.

They'll be able to complete the Vrains dub, but I don't know about dubbing the next series at the same time. They've had more manpower and financial resources than 4Kids did during its last few years, but we still don't see KCM airing the next series until they finish work on the previous one. That's a big reason as to why the gap between the two versions have only gotten longer over time.

Reactions: RDG

RDG

Aspiring animator/filmmaker and Ugliest Man Alive
I'm not sure either what you mean or where you heard this tv before streaming policy.

I don't remember where I read about it exactly, but I'm pretty sure Konami's Yumi Hoashi (or at least a Konami rep) was talking about that.

Last edited:

4Kids4EverFandom

Soo I found this in regards to the Vrains dub on TV Kids Mipcom Magazine Page 66!

It would appear that they had made a deals with Hulu Netflix and Crunchyroll with the series. Although while it does mentioned throughout all of Europe I wonder if it could mean it will come to the US on those 3 Streaming Platforms. Instresting enough it does say that Konami plans to close new deals to digitaize the content and brand. I Wonder if this means Konami finally admitted that Yu-Gi-Oh! Vrains and future new series will and should be on streaming services since we are in that age?? ::)

Hopefully something will be announced HOPEFULLY at NYCC (I'm Guessing)???

Light Lucario

Staff member
It does sound likely that the dub will come to those streaming platforms in the U.S. as well. It would be kind of strange to only make the dub available in Europe when Netflix and Crunchyroll are available internationally. I was also under the impression that Hulu was only available in the U.S., but I don't know if that has changed or if I have been mistaken.

Admittedly, it seems far too late to finally make this decision for the Vrains dub, but they'd have to do something with it. I'm not sure if Konami is admitting that the series should be on streaming service because of the digital age we're in. It seems more likely that they're just finally accepting that a TV network deal isn't a guarantee and that waiting for that to happen is actively hurting the brand, so they want to make the dubs legally available. We'll probably get some updates on this in the future. If they do make the dub of the next series online exclusive, I do hope that they make a more faithful dub out of it. That probably won't happen for a few reasons, but they really do need to change how they handle the dubs.

RDG

So, the Olympusat and On TV Tonight websites show that ZEXAL has left iSorpresa! for good
Schedules - Olympusat

but Spectrum's guide still lists the show as airing weeknights 7p-8p, 11p-12m and weekends 4p-5p, 8p-9p, 10p-11p, and 2a-3a. Meanwhile on Ultra Kidz, 5D's now airs every day 4p-5p and 4a-5a.

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
From what I know, Yu-Gi-Oh! does not air on American television right now. It may be available on Hulu and other streaming services, but I'm not subscribed to those services so I'm not entirely sure.

Light Lucario

Staff member
From what I know, Yu-Gi-Oh! does not air on American television right now. It may be available on Hulu and other streaming services, but I'm not subscribed to those services so I'm not entirely sure.

They do have the first five series on Hulu. I'm not sure if they've updated to include the rest of Arc V's dub, but I believe that every series aside from Vrains is available on Hulu. Crunchyroll also has most of the series legally subbed, along with some of the dubs available, but I don't think that Yu-Gi-Oh! is available on any other major streaming service.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
They do have the first five series on Hulu. I'm not sure if they've updated to include the rest of Arc V's dub, but I believe that every series aside from Vrains is available on Hulu. Crunchyroll also has most of the series legally subbed, along with some of the dubs available, but I don't think that Yu-Gi-Oh! is available on any other major streaming service.
I wonder why VRAINS is unavailable on Hulu.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I wonder why VRAINS is unavailable on Hulu.

I'm not sure myself, but my best guess is that they still want to get the series on TV, even though that isn't going to happen. With a new series starting up next year that will most likely feature new cards, there wouldn't be much of a reason for any U.S. channel to pick up Vrains over a brand new series. Despite how they're already airing season two in at least Canada by now, there isn't any legal way to watch the Vrains dub. The entire series is legally subbed on Crunchyroll, but there isn't any place to legally watch the dub online. Personally speaking, this doesn't bother me since I loathe Vrains anyway, but it still isn't good from a business perspective. If they wanted to get a bit more money out of the dub, putting it on Hulu or some streaming site would be more ideal than doing nothing with it.

4Kids4EverFandom

Soo this dropped on this latest world screen kids article per Konami Cross Media NY.
Screen Shot 2020-01-16 at 11.14.13 AM.png

So Could this possibly mean that Konami Cross Media is Starting it's Own Streaming Service with Yu-Gi-Oh! including the Vrains Dub? hmmm...

Light Lucario

Staff member
More DM episodes are now officially subbed Yu-Gi-Oh! Subbed – Episodes 145-184 Complete

Man, they are taking their sweet time to sub DM episodes. I'm still glad that they're able to do so at all. It didn't seem like they could with all of the legal red tape surrounding the original version, but it's going to take them probably at least another year before they finally finish subbing it at the rate they're going with it. I'm also still surprised that they haven't subbed Zexal. I don't think that there would be any legal issues behind subbing the series like there was with DM. I don't care much for the series myself, but since they have all of the other current spin-off series completely subbed, they might as well throw Zexal fans a bone. Maybe they'll do that once they finally finish subbing DM, although they may just simulcast Sevens instead.

Soo this dropped on this latest world screen kids article per Konami Cross Media NY.
View attachment 280606

So Could this possibly mean that Konami Cross Media is Starting it's Own Streaming Service with Yu-Gi-Oh! including the Vrains Dub? hmmm...

I think KCM starting their own streaming service would be a really bad idea. There is already a lot of competition with different streaming services. I don't think that they could compete against sites like Netflix, Hulu and Disney + out there. Not to mention HBO Max is coming out this year with a lot of big properties and shows attached to it. The only show that they dub is the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise and the anime isn't nearly popular enough to be the main attraction of yet another streaming service. Their best choice would be to put the dubs on an already established streaming service like Crunchyroll or Netflix. Hulu would also work, but it would only be available to people in the U.S. instead of having a more global reach like the other two services.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Nothing in that blurb suggests Konami is launching their own streaming service. It directly states that most of their partners have or are in the process of doing so.

Light Lucario

Staff member
I don't think that Konami would really have enough shows to create their own streaming service. Aside from the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise, do they have access to a lot of big brand name shows that would attract people to their site?

RDG

Well, it's been over a year since Nicktoons gave up airing rights to Yu-Gi-Oh! for good Nicktoons (the channel) News and Discussion Thread 3

and there hasn't been a new episode aired on U.S. TV ever since (and unfortunately, never will be again). While Konami wouldn't like to admit it, this is pretty much an embarrassment for them.

Last edited:

Light Lucario

Staff member
Well, it's been over a year since Nicktoons have up airing rights to Yu-Gi-Oh! for good Nicktoons (the channel) News and Discussion Thread 3

and there hasn't been a new episode aired on U.S. TV ever since (and unfortunately, never will be again). While Konami wouldn't like to admit it, this is pretty much an embarrassment for them.

I see this more as a result of the anime's dwindling popularity over the years than anything else. This didn't happen overnight. The spin-off series becoming less and less popular in the U.S. to the point where an entire series never aired was sadly not surprising. 4Kids not being able to put out most of GX or any of 5D's on DVD probably didn't help matters in terms of keeping the anime within the public consciousness either. Being stuck on the CW and then later Nicktoons didn't really help provide more exposure to the spin-off series either. I also think that the dubs' qualities played a factor here. Their attempt to make the characters funnier or cooler usually feel jarring compared to what a lot of kid shows nowadays are able to do.

Konami probably isn't happy about this, but to be fair, I don't know if they could have done that much to make the anime more popular again, especially if no other channel was interested in picking up Vrains.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts