"Peacemaker (Max Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
HBO Max ordered a "Peacemaker" series, a spin-off for the upcoming The Suicide Squad with John Cena reprising his role. The show will explore the character's origins and is supposed to have 8 episodes in its first season.

James Gunn and Peter Safran will be executive producers, and Cena will be a co-executive producer. Gunn will also write all of the episodes and direct most of them.

Season One: January 13, 2022 to February 17, 2022
Season One Blu-ray/DVD: November 22, 2022
Season Two: TBA

Peacemaker will be produced by Gunn’s Troll Court Entertainment and The Safran Company in association with Warner Bros. Television. Peacemaker is scheduled to begin production in early 2021, prior to Gunn beginning work on the next Guardians of the Galaxy film.
The TV series will extend the world that Gunn is creating for the feature film, which is scheduled to be released in theaters by Warner Bros. Pictures on August 6, 2021.
“James Gunn has the unique ability to create an expansive universe while also bringing to life the soul and wit of each character. We look forward to a deep dive into the world of Peacemaker,” said Casey Bloys, Chief Content Officer for HBO and HBO Max.
James Gunn said, “Peacemaker is an opportunity to delve into current world issues through the lens of this superhero/supervillain/and world’s biggest [censored]. I’m excited to expand The Suicide Squad and bring this character from the DC film universe to the full breadth of a series. And of course, to be able to work again with John, Peter, and my friends at Warner Bros. is the icing on the cake.”
John Cena added, “I have said before that it has been a tremendous honor and an incredible opportunity to be part of The Suicide Squad and to work with James on what is going to be a fantastic movie. I am unbelievably excited to have the chance to team up with him again for Peacemaker. We can’t wait for fans to see this.”

Comments?

Related thread
:
"The Suicide Squad" Feature Film Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)
"The Suicide Squad" Talkback Thread
DC on HBO Max General News and Discussion

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well yeah if you read the article it says it is a prequel and is all about the origins of this character. And though I do get the feeling this HBO Max wanting to latch onto getting as much content as possible and profiting from associated licenses, it does feel off to have one of their first big DCEU related series come from such an obscure character. Like Marvel is going to launch like 5 series first with already established heroes and worlds before trying to build any new ones and even then some of those are based on things already established while yeah we're getting of all things a Peacemaker show likely even before that talked about Green Lantern HBO Max show. Which does seem odd but I think there's two big reasons WB/HBO is singing up on this.

1. Though there is a lot of talk that the rivalry between Marvel and DC over the various talent and related individuals is blown up to hyperbole and mostly just in the fan's imagination... you know there's at least some of it there. Maybe it's not in the writers or director or actors as much but I'm sure a lot of the studio heads feel that way. Thus I'm sure a studio head is excited to delay Gunn working on Guardians 3 even more to have him do work on this Peacemaker series.

2. I think the bigger factor and reason that Peacemaker got pushed to get his own series is because yeah they got John Cena to play the guy. Considering how ridiculously popular Cena has been on WWE and how he's handling his filmmaking career now it's pretty clear at least a few people in the industry are linking him as the next Rock aka Dwayne Johnson aka the only real Mega A+ Celebrity Actor really working today. Since let's face it the only reason Black Adam's getting such a push is because of Dwayne Johnson and I can see Cena getting to that level and I'm sure some people feel he's already coming close so why not get him to launch a series while you still can before he's too big for even that?

Honestly to me those are the two reasons we're getting this. Since yeah Peacemaker isn't a big enough draw on it's own for a series. Like yeah a character as super popular as Harley Quinn I can see getting it as well as wanting to promote certain oddities like say Doom Patrol but let's face it; this is only a show happening due to whose attached to it not based on the character or idea on it's own.

the greenman

Is this the first time (with the Suicide Squad reboot) that one of DC's Charlton characters has made it into live action? I know that Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) was under development at one point.
I believe so. The other characters are mostly too obscure. The closest I remember anything else was, I think there was a rumor of a The Question feature film years ago.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Otaku-sempai

I believe so. The other characters are mostly too obscure. The closest I remember anything else was, I think there was a rumor of a The Question feature film years ago.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
I don't recall that, but I do think that The CW has had a Question television series under consideration.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts