Paperless Event Ticket Delivery

Latest News & Videos

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Jul 9, 2008
Dream Land
www.defunctzombie.net
Reading the local newspaper, I noticed that for the upcoming Miley concert the tickets will be by this paperless method. You buy with your credit card and show up to the event with it, your id, and your whole group.

I guess the main purpose is to prevent scalping, but I see a lot of flaws:

1. You have to have a credit card to see the show.
  2. The ticket buyer has to be attending.
  3. Everybody who you buy tickets for has to be there with you when you get in.
  4. You don't get a physical ticket (I keep tickets as mementos).
  5. This has got to take longer to get in.
Does this seem like a good method? I get the vibe that only credit card holders are worthy enough to see an event. I personally don't mind waiting in line to get a ticket. That's why you show up early. :shrug:

Thoughts?

NewcomerDC

Sep 1, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I'm surprised that people are still that crazy about getting Miley Cyrus tickets. I hope they won't have to do anything silly to get them like we saw in the Hannah Montana 3D movie.

Daxdiv

Does this look like the face of mercy?
I find this method stupid for lack of a better term. I mean the whole thing does seem pointless and I'm just going to pick at certain aspects of it

1. You have to have a credit card to see the show.- Well unless you buy the tickets some other way, like via cash at the box office or such, this part is useful part. Unless they supply a temp card for people that wait for that.
  2. The ticket buyer has to be attending.- Okay that is stupid, since you might just want to give this as a gift to someone you know without attending the event yourself, or someone else volunteer to do this
  3. Everybody who you buy tickets for has to be there with you when you get in.- Flawed, cause lets say you bought tickets for little Suzy's Birthday party and you have 7 RSVP, so you bought like 10 tickets, 2 for the folks, one for the birthday kid, and the seven for the guest, however a last minute cancellation from someone due to uncontrollable forces, like you get sick for example, then you are screwed unless you find someone to fill that gap.
  4. You don't get a physical ticket .- I do keep tickets of various ballgames I go to if I feel like it as well, depending on how awesome the game was. After all sometimes, this is like the second best souvenir one can get at any event. For a ballgames I go to, it obviously the foul/homerun ball, even if it is a hit by the opposing team.
  5. This has got to take longer to get in.- With all that cross referencing I can see it being a time waster. I mean with my ticket, all I have to do is get checked from if I have a bag, checked for security to see if I'm not carrying a weapon or anything, and then scan the ticket myself, easy as that. With this, it does seem complicated and something that gets accomplished in under a minute to something that I feel like that take 5x more than that.
So basically here are the reasons I find it to be silly from your points as well.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Jul 9, 2008
Dream Land
www.defunctzombie.net

Tobias

Who you gonna call?
Sep 17, 2002
A, A
bobbydrake2000.livejournal.com
All *new* ideas are essentially flawed when they're first put into effect, and they'll eventually work all the bugs out, but you have to look at it from the point of view of Miley Cyrus's camp.

The last time, scalpers prevented A LOT of her fans from attending the concert by raising the price of the tickets sky high. There were a lot of greedy SOB's out there who ruined this event for a lot of fans. Imagine if the same stunt had been pulled when The Beatles and Elvis were performing. Not that I'm putting Miley on the same level as those legends, but you catch my drift.

The Cyrus camp just wants to be fair to the fans, and while it's not really fair to the families who don't have credit cards, it beats having to pay quadruple the price for scapled tickets.

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
Mar 13, 2002
Winner's Circle

sdp

miscrave
Dec 12, 2004
N.W.
miscrave.com
Another case were this ends up screwing us more than the people they want to stop. And this is retarded.

Trent Reznor explained the problem very well
http://forum.nin.com/bb/read.php?59,548515

As we approach on-sale dates for the upcoming tour, I've noticed lots of you are curious / concerned / outraged at the plethora of tickets that somehow appear on all these reseller sites at inflated prices - even before the pre-sale dates. I'll do my best to explain the situation as I see it, as well as clarify my organization's stance in the matter.

NIN decides to tour this summer. We arrive at the conclusion outdoor amphitheaters are the right venue for this outing, for a variety of reasons we've throughly considered*. In the past, NIN would sell the shows in each market to local promoters, who then "buy" the show from us to sell to you. Live Nation happens to own all the amphitheaters and bought most of the local promoters - so if you want to play those venues, you're being promoted by Live Nation. Live Nation has had an exclusive deal with TicketMaster that has just expired, so Live Nation launched their own ticketing service. Most of the dates on this tour are through Live Nation, some are through TicketMaster - this is determined by the promoter (Live Nation), not us.
Now we get into the issue of secondary markets for tickets, which is the hot issue here. The ticketing marketplace for rock concerts shows a real lack of sophistication, meaning this: the true market value of some tickets for some concerts is much higher than what the act wants to be perceived as charging. For example, there are some people who would be willing to pay $1,000 and up to be in the best seats for various shows, but MOST acts in the rock / pop world don't want to come off as greedy pricks asking that much, even though the market says its value is that high. The acts know this, the venue knows this, the promoters know this, the ticketing company knows this and the scalpers really know this. So...

The venue, the promoter, the ticketing agency and often the artist camp (artist, management and agent) take tickets from the pool of available seats and feed them directly to the re-seller (which from this point on will be referred to by their true name: SCALPER). I am not saying every one of the above entities all do this, nor am I saying they do it for all shows but this is a very common practice that happens more often than not. There is money to be made and they feel they should participate in it. There are a number of scams they employ to pull this off which is beyond the scope of this note.

StubHub.com is an example of a re-seller / scalper. So is TicketsNow.com.

Here's the rub: TicketMaster has essentially been a monopoly for many years - certainly up until Live Nation's exclusive deal ran out. They could have (and can right now) stop the secondary market dead in its tracks by doing the following: limit the amount of sales per customer, print names on the tickets and require ID / ticket matches at the venue. We know this works because we do it for our pre-sales. Why don't THEY do it? It's obvious - they make a lot of money fueling the secondary market. TicketMaster even bought a re-seller site and often bounces you over to that site to buy tickets (TicketsNow.com)!

NIN gets 10% of the available seats for our own pre-sale. We won a tough (and I mean TOUGH) battle to get the best seats. We require you to sign up at our site (for free) to get tickets. We limit the amount you can buy, we print your name on the tickets and we have our own person let you in a separate entrance where we check your ID to match the ticket. We charge you a surcharge that has been less than TicketMaster's or Live Nation's in all cases so far to pay for the costs of doing this - it's not a profit center for us. We have essentially stopped scalping by doing these things - because we want true fans to be able to get great seats and not get ripped off by these parasites.

I assure you nobody in the NIN camp supplies or supports the practice of supplying tickets to these re-sellers because it's not something we morally feel is the right thing to do. We are leaving money on the table here but it's not always about money.
Being completely honest, it IS something I've had to consider. If people are willing to pay a lot of money to sit up front AND ARE GOING TO ANYWAY thanks to the rigged system, why let that money go into the hands of the scalpers? I'm the one busting my ass up there every night. The conclusion really came down to it not feeling like the right thing to do - simple as that.

My guess as to what will eventually happen if / when Live Nation and TicketMaster merges is that they'll move to an auction or market-based pricing scheme - which will simply mean it will cost a lot more to get a good seat for a hot show. They will simply BECOME the scalper, eliminating them from the mix.

Nothing's going to change until the ticketing entity gets serious about stopping the problem - which of course they don't see as a problem. The ultimate way to hurt scalpers is to not support them. Leave them holding the merchandise. If this subject interests you, check out the following links. Don't buy from scalpers, and be suspect of artists singing the praises of the Live Nation / TicketMaster merger. What's in it for them?

* I fully realize by playing those venues we are getting into bed with all these guys. I've learned to choose my fights and at this point in time it would be logistically too difficult to attempt to circumvent the venues / promoter / ticketing infrastructure already in place for this type of tour. For those of you about to snipe "it's your fault for playing there, etc... " - I know it is.

Truth is there is no easy way to deal with the problem. If it were up to me I'd leave things the way they are. Getting tickets to a hard to get concert is kind of a rite of passage. You either sacrifice a lot of your time to get those tickets or pay the inflated price.

defunctzombie

1992 not 2002
Staff member
Jul 9, 2008
Dream Land
www.defunctzombie.net
Penn State did something similar this year with student tickets- they are sold to your ID number, which you need to get in. However, they did allow you to transfer the tickets to another PSU ID. Basically, students get to be in the student section.

I think that if you went to a ticket outlet, say the arena itself, they should give you a card or something that would have a name on it. Like if you were buying as a present for Joe, the card would have Joe's name on it. You'd still do the paperless thing, except this card would be like one of those disposable visa gift cards. That could help solve some problems, right?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Any news about the "Magia Record" anime?
Please stop blaming "Teen Titans Go!" for any cancelation of a Cartoon Network show.
Why did SDCC have to happen during the same weekend as Vinesauce Is Hope?
With how widespread the Joy-Con analog drift issue is, I'm honestly surprised I haven't had that issue yet. I've had my console for almost two years.
Is Nick doing anything for SDCC