Paper Mario: The Origami King News and Discussion Thread

Latest News & Videos

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
New York

The kingdom has been ravaged by an origami menace! Join Mario and his new partner, Olivia, as they battle evil Folded Soldiers, repair the damaged landscape, and try to free Princess Peach’s castle from the clutches of King Olly in this comedy-filled adventure, only on the Nintendo Switch™ system.

Mario and Luigi receive an invitation from Princess Peach to attend an origami festival and excitedly hurry to Toad Town…but something’s amiss. After investigating the eerily empty town, the duo finds a fearsome (and folded) Princess Peach—she’s been turned into origami by King Olly, ruler of the Origami Kingdom! With five giant streamers under his control, King Olly binds Princess Peach’s Castle and transports it to a distant mountain as part of his plan to re-fold the world.

On his journey to liberate Peach’s Castle and repair the ravaged paper landscape, Mario meets Olivia, King Olly’s sister, and the two join forces to put a stop to Olly’s origami onslaught. Even Bowser falls victim to Olly’s plot when his minions are turned into origami Folded Soldiers and betray their Koopa king, forcing him to ally with Mario and Olivia!

Battle the Folded Soldiers in ring-based battles that challenge you to strategically line up enemies to maximize damage! Out of battle, Mario can use the arm-extending 1,000-Fold Arms ability in specific spots to interact with the landscape to pull, peel, hit, and more! Join Mario, Olivia, and their companions on a journey of laughter and emotion, thrills, and a whole lot of folding.

Game launches July 17, 2020. You can pre-purchase it now.

Official Website

Reactions: Pooky and Fone Bone

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
That trailer looks pretty cool. I've heard rumors of a new Paper Mario game for the Switch, so I was glad to see it confirmed. I also hope that this means that the rumor of more Mario titles being ported to the Switch is true. I've only played Sticker Star on the 3DS and while that game seems to be unpopular, I thought it was a lot of fun. I'm sure that I'll get this game at some point since it looks like fun too.

Reactions: Pooky and Fone Bone

creator

Apr 19, 2020
Chicago
I've never played a Paper Mario game, but the art in this one looks fantastic. I hope we see some gameplay soon.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
New York
I excited for this game. Can't wait to see more about it.

The only other Paper Mario games I've played were the original N64 game and Color Splash. I liked both games but I prefer the combat system in 64 because it was simple.

The problem with Color Splash's combat system is the clumsy UI. All of your cards are lined up in a row, so if you're looking for a specific card you have to keep scrolling left to find it. They should have had it to where all similar cards are stacked ob top of each other. This would severely cut down on the scrolling. Also it takes too much time to paint cards. It should be as simple as tapping it.

One thing I liked about Color Splash was the world map. You go into specific parts of the world by selecting "levels", but they still make the world feel connected with each other. So if you want to go somewhere far away, you can just go on the world map and walk straight to that level. No need to backtrack through a large amount of land.

Pooky

Jul 14, 2010
UK
Looks great. I'm glad that they seem to be doing what they want rather than pandering to fans with a Thousand Year Door reprisal.

Terror of Death

Aug 1, 2007
US
Doesn't look bad but there's definitely some red flags. Nowadays revealing something two months before its release usually only happens for stuff like remasters, ports, download only and licensed games. It's not that common for mass release $60 AAA titles. There's a possibility it had a very short development window or they might be reusing certain assets from Color Splash. Then there's the trailer itself which was mostly focused on the dialogue, cutscenes and exploration. Very little was show of the combat which is said to be using yet another new system. One of major gripes of many die hard Paper Mario fans for the most recent entries has the been the increased focus on gimmicks over traditional rpg elements such as levelling up and being able to use an assortment of party members.

I personally find the original games to be a bit overrated and think the newer ones get more flak than they deserve but its pretty fascinating Nintendo seems to be intent on sticking with the current model. Especially since sales for the series have been dropping and reception from professional reviewers have become more mixed. But with the Switch and its games being so successful I guess they're right to assume Origami King will follow suit and do better than the 3DS and Wii U iterations.

Reactions: creator and Pooky

Pooky

Jul 14, 2010
UK
I think Sticker Star's sales were actually pretty healthy and I believe the Wii game was actually the most successful of the lot. Colour Splash sold poorly but it was a late Wii U release long after it had been left for dead.

Reactions: Light Lucario