Overrated cartoons

AnimatedFan01

What cartoons did you never get the appeal of and think are overrated? For me, I have quite a list that will result in polarities from others....

Dexter's Laboratory - I was never fond of this show. It had a cool premise, but the characters were obnoxious. Dexter's high-pitched, nasally German accent and mad scientist voice grated on me to no end. Not helping is that I found him to be egotistical and vain, in other words an insufferable genius. His sister Dee Dee was no better either. Her naivety and hyperactivity made her really detestable. The plots were pretty boring and stupid. There wasn't much humor to it that made me laugh, most of it just being corny and falling flat. Sorry, I can see the appeal, but this show just isn't for me.

Adventure Time - If there was another synonym for overrated, I would look no further than Adventure Time. I used to love it as a tween, but now, after looking back at it, not so much. Its combination of adventure and comedy just doesn't work for me, it feels outlandish. Flapjack did that combination leagues better in my opinion. Sometimes it can be so incredibly random and disturbing that it just makes me question what the heck I'm watching. One example would be the episode where a possessed spell lives in Finn's belly button. Another was the one where Finn turned into a giant foot.... The premise, while I give it credit for its creativity, is too drug-induced for the sake of it. Foster's was able to have a ton of random characters without being too acidic, but not AT. The humor was mainly just fart jokes or embarrassing cringe concocted with surrealism. I perceived Finn as a whiny little brat who overreacts and freaks out too much. And Jake was mostly just a failed comic relief, being the butt of butt and fart jokes. Plus, the amount of innuendoes felt a little uneasy and out of place.

Regular Show - Pretty much what I already said about Adventure Time. Overt randomness (a talking gumball machine, a weird human with green skin, a talking lollipop in this world with animals and humans???), but also the main characters having little depth beyond being "dude"/" bro" stereotypes. Muscle Man got on my nerves with his my mom jokes and was nothing more than a gross slob. Pops was annoyingly dumb to a fault. At least Mordecai was the more tolerable half of the duo due to having more sanity, but Rigby was just an obnoxious troublemaker and arrogant jerk IMO. Benson rubbed me the wrong way - I get having to deal with two slackers who cause nothing but trouble, but at times his anger crossed the line and was unjustified, like when he ate the guys' burgers at the end of The Best Burger in the World. Can't say much more about it, but man is it anything but regular.

The Amazing World of Gumball - I have the same complaints regarding its drugged-up premise like AT and RS, but I'd also add that Gumball was an annoying, self-absorbed protagonist who overreacted too much like Finn.

Gravity Falls - Darkness and humor don't go well together, and this show proved. I found Mabel to be annoying, Soos to be more of a nuisance than funny, and Dipper to be bland and predictable. Also the random nature of the show was another thing I think it went overboard with.

The Loud House - This is just a generic slice of life show that's pretty much Malcolm in the Middle and The Brady Bunch in animated form. While I give it credit for its heartwarming family dynamic, it really offers nothing new to the table and everyone is stereotyped to the max. Plus, all too often Lincoln behaves like a selfish jerk who's focused more on what he wants than needs, and the sisters treat him coldly even when he hasn't done anything wrong. Lincoln himself is just a typical Charlie Brown clone, Lori is an obnoxious bratty girl stereotype, Leni is so stupid she gives Cosmo and Patrick Star a run for their money, Luan gets on my nerves with her cheesy puns, Lynn is abrasive and vain when it comes to sportsmanship, Lisa is an insufferable genius, Lola is a spoiled brat, and the parents are too unaware of their kids' wrongdoings or too pushover-y. The plots are just done-to-death cliche storms and recycled from other shows, with the same cheesy resolutions and startups. I like the animation though, but overall I just find TLH to be boring and nihilistic. No Such Luck was the worst episode, Lincoln was unnecessarily tortured in this episode even by his parents. Can you spell child abuse?

Clarence - Ugh, this show. Now I do like the kids being kids vibe of this show, but slice of life hardly goes together well with that concept without some slapstick and more comedy. This is basically an Ed, Edd 'n Eddy clone with all the good parts squeezed out. The animation is hideous, with the characters all having disgusting facial features (especially Clarence himself and his mom's boyfriend), weirdly shaped body proportions (Jeff's head anyone?), and stiff movement. Clarence himself was an idiotic troublemaker who really deserves a good beating. Jeff was waaaay too compulsive and paranoid. Sumo was obnoxious and dumb. The voice acting is another area where this show fell apart drastically. Clarence sounds like Elmer Fudd's mentally challenged son whose voice is unusually deep for a 9-year-old's. Sumo's was way too nasally and sounds like a younger Beavis whose mother smoked 10 cigarettes before his birth. Also the humor was mostly just unnecessary crude grossout, or character abuse.

Those are my picks for the most overrated cartoons.

Last edited:

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
I know I've said things before on some of these, but I don't mind repeating myself, if it means getting it out there, honestly:

Star Vs. and Steven Universe royally suck, as I've pointed out numerous times in the Unpopular opinions threads I attend occasionally around here. 'Nuff Said.

MLP:FiM also gets a definite mention from me in this specific case - simply because (and FORGET THE HATERS and people who called it a ripoff of this!) I preferred Littlest Pet Shop (2012), so much more, despite my own issues with that show, as well.

I humbly disagree with everything you said about Gravity Falls, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, and Clarence, however. Unless you're talking about mid-season 5 to all of season 6 of Gumball, of course - that's when that show really did begin to suck, honestly.

TLH is mediocrity incarnate - you're not wrong about that, however. Casagrandes is only slightly better, by simple virtue of being nothing special. Episodes of Casagrandes are consistently better than TLH's overall output, either way.

A show like Dexter's Lab would also be universally hated today for all the reasons you just pointed out. Like some have pointed out by now, similar things could be said about something like Ed, Edd, n Eddy, as well (especially in terms of characters and most of the episodes being weak-sauce.).

Good points all around, even if I disagree with a majority of what you're saying, but whatever.

Last edited:

aegisrawks

Look I dont have any problem with your opinion but boy you seemingly dont like most cartoons. What do you like? I am not condemning you. More power to you!

Dr.Pepper

I’m going to disagree with Clarence being overrated. If anything, I think it’s underrated. Many people regard it as one of CN’s worst but I think it’s pretty good. Anyways...

My Little Pony: FiM: I thought it was nice for younger kids, but it was just that. I don’t understand how it became an obsession for so many teens/adults.

Star Vs Forces of Evil: I watched season one on Hulu and it was alright but I am not dying to see more. Downplayed, as I heard it got worse as it went on.

Regular Show: the characters were all unappealing to me. I agree with the overt randomness. That didn’t bother me in Adventure Time since it was a fantasy.

Last edited:

AnimatedFan01

Look I dont have any problem with your opinion but boy you seemingly dont like most cartoons. What do you like? I am not condemning you. More power to you!
I like Rick and Morty, Futurama, earlier seasons of The Simpsons and Family Guy, South Park, Billy and Mandy, the first five seasons of SpongeBob, and Looney Tunes, Tom and Jerry, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Popeye, etc. I'm more of an adult cartoon guy than a kids one, especially in regard to newer kid's cartoons, though I do like Phineas and Ferb, Craig of the Creek, We Bare Bears, and Over the Garden Wall. I don't view things nostalgically; I view them based on the overall quality. Hell, even as someone who's more of a 2000s kid than a 2010s one, I'm willing to admit that there are even some shows from when I was younger that I detest, such as Mr. Meaty, Wayside, El Tigre, Mucha Lucha, and Ying Yang Yo.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Ed Edd n Eddy - All of the characters are insufferable. They are way too loud, half of them are egotistical brats, the other half is too stupid for words, and Edd is whining all the time. This leaves you with NO ONE to root for. This is like a heartless version of Clarence / Hey Arnold / Craig of the Creek.
Dexter's Laboratory - I was never fond of this show. It had a cool premise, but the characters were obnoxious. Dexter's high-pitched, nasally German accent and mad scientist voice grated on me to no end. Not helping is that I found him to be egotistical and vain, in other words an insufferable genius. His sister Dee Dee was no better either. Her naivety and hyperactivity made her really detestable. The plots were pretty boring and stupid. There wasn't much humor to it that made me laugh, most of it just being corny and falling flat. Sorry, I can see the appeal, but this show just isn't for me.
Dexter's Laboratory is fantastic in Dutch, French, Swedish, any language that is not English. I can't stand the English voice actors. Insufferable is indeed the right word.

Also, season 3 and 4 are bad in any language. All characters are flanderized and too much episodes are like: "Hahahahaha, look how boring this is! Boring = funny, right!" The Dad Cartoons are the worst examples.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I feel like I've participated in a topic like this before, so I'll add a couple ones I haven't talked about.

Blood of Zeus wasn't bad, but it's probably the weakest of the Powerhouse Studios trio. The main character is so boring, the way the gods are portrayed is underwhelming, and I never felt the characters were as engaging as they were in Castlevania or the atmosphere as charming as Seis Manos.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is pretty great, but I do think the constant praise and comparisons to it are getting incredibly annoying. It's gotten to the point where people think it invented serialized storytelling in all of animation.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Kick Butowski == absolute trash that makes TLH/Casagrandes look like masterpiece material, even when the truth is clearly otherwise (one on the left is mediocrity incarnate and the other on the right is simply nothing special.).

the greenman

I feel like I've participated in a topic like this before, so I'll add a couple ones I haven't talked about.

Avatar: The Last Airbender is pretty great, but I do think the constant praise and comparisons to it are getting incredibly annoying. It's gotten to the point where people think it invented serialized storytelling in all of animation.

Avatar was great for its time. I personally see it as an extension of what Gargoyles was doing in the 90's. I mean, the only part that is annoying are certain things that make you realize you are an adult watching a children's series. Other than those, I had no problem revisiting Avatar, but I can see the childness is a turnoff.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

kanc

I'd say in my opinion, SpongeBob. The early seasons were better, but latest seasons seemed to be losing quality, and... characters getting more goofy than ever.. I can't think of way to describe it..

Also FOP - they jumped the shark, Season 9 had Sparky, Season 10 was Chloe.. I never understood why they add characters.. and disappearance were never explained..

AnimatedFan01

I'd say in my opinion, SpongeBob. The early seasons were better, but latest seasons seemed to be losing quality, and... characters getting more goofy than ever.. I can't think of way to describe it..

Also FOP - they jumped the shark, Season 9 had Sparky, Season 10 was Chloe.. I never understood why they add characters.. and disappearance were never explained..
I wouldn't count examples as 'overrated' if the consensus is that the older seasons were at least good.
Ed Edd n Eddy - All of the characters are insufferable. They are way too loud, half of them are egotistical brats, the other half is too stupid for words, and Edd is whining all the time. This leaves you with NO ONE to root for. This is like a heartless version of Clarence / Craig of the Creek.
I like how you compare EEnE to those two shows when it came waaaay before them. :lol:

There are a few other picks for my list which I forgot in the original post:

-My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Yeah, I absolutely detest it, and not just (or even) for its bad side of the fandom, but the show itself is literally nothing beyond a generic toyline promotion and overly girly show, and I don't normally hate cartoons just for having primary female protagonists (I liked PPG, Kim Possible, and The Buzz on Maggie). It's incredibly cringeworthy for me to watch due to the overbearing girliness and obnoxious characters (Twilight, Rainbow, and Rarity for being vain and egotistical, Pinkie for being annoyingly dumb, and Applejack was just a boring Sandy Cheeks rip-off). It pains me to talk badly about it when I enjoyed Lauren Faust's work on PPG and her husband's on Foster's and Wander Over Yonder, but I'll at least give her credit for creating a show that has enough elements for its core audience of little girls to enjoy, but I certainly don't fit in the periphery male demographic.

-Star vs. the Forces of Evil: Boring, typical, uninspired, obnoxious. Need I say more?

-Beavis and Butt-Head: If Mordecai and Rigby had any human-form PG-13 predecessors, it'd be these guys. I never got the appeal behind two idiotic teenage guys obsessed with sex and doing "Don't try this at home" things. It was incredibly boring and moronic.

-Ren and Stimpy: Yes, the original, not just the Adult Party Cartoon (even though that one sucks as well and is much worse than the original). I just found it to be edgy for the sake of triggering the censors and couldn't handle the amount of dark and crude humor which felt out of place. While Stimpy does have somewhat of a loveable Patrick Star and Ed-like personality to him, more often than not I found his stupidity to be grating than funny. As for Ren, I saw him as a melodramatic and obnoxious jerk.

ToonsJazzLover

Not too fond on Amphibia. It has a great premise, but the execution is hit or miss. And I feel the same way with Bob's Burgers as the show has become more repetitive over time.

khuddle

Blood of Zeus wasn't bad, but it's probably the weakest of the Powerhouse Studios trio. The main character is so boring, the way the gods are portrayed is underwhelming, and I never felt the characters were as engaging as they were in Castlevania or the atmosphere as charming as Seis Manos.

Avatar: The Last Airbender was, on balance, a great show, but there were way too many filler episodes, especially early on. I have the complete DVD collection, and the show meanders a lot in the initial "Water" series. Its gotten to the point that whenever I re-watch this show, I skip the "Water" series (except for the first disc where we have the introduction of all the characters).

I wouldn't characterize Avatar as overrated though. As the greenman pointed out, it was great for its time, and, despite its dated animation, its still very watchable today, with its interesting characters (particularly Iro and Azula ), top notch voice acting, and decent humor.

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts