Over 11 Years - Your Top 5 Shows that aired on Toonami

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soul

From March 17th 1997 to September 20th 2008
Over 60+ Shows
Your Top 5 Shows that ever graced Toonami.

(I know Sketch had one during the 10th anniversary but this I hope will be here for a quite a while, as more and more people come to the forum due to the end of the block)

SO!
I'll start up.

1) Rurouni Kenshin - For me, Kenshin has developed into one of my favorite series ever. A show with visual action that captivated the viewer and a character so deep, almost Shakespearean if you've read the manga or seen the Trust & Betrayal OVA.

2) Yu Yu Hakusho - A [adult swim] cast off or at the time, just what Toonami needed? For the people who weren't DBZ-a-holics, and wanted a more down to Earth and relative Teen protagonist? YYH was it. I was around 12 and was going through a lot stuff at home and school but Yusuke was the type of character who didn't give a care about anything, if anyone got in his face, he'd get right back. Didn't hurt if the story was superior in my opinion to some if not a majority of DBZ's arcs and the action leveled it.

3) Outlaw Star - Ah yes, Gene Starwind and his misfit band of buddies in their search for the Galactic Layline. A somewhat epic journey; it dragged in some places but it was unbelievably awesome none the less. Most of all, it forced questions into the mind of 10 year old you wouldn't expect until you were full on teen. And the Broken Promise (Dreams) video helped it all the more.

4) The Tenchi Saga - An awkward young man and a bunch relatively hot chicks filled with their crazy antics and adventures along with some insane action? Dude. Love Does Stink huh? But the show sure didn't.

5) IGPX - This WAS IT. The combination of everything you loved in a Toonami series; action, mecha, a decent storyline, even hints of romance. This was a show for the ages in terms of Toonami itself.

The Ulimate Honorable Mention:
Dragon Ball Z - The greatest Action Cartoon EVER made.
What else do you wanna hear? It was just Epic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayngfet

RAWR!
Tenchi- I rewatch the original continuity constantly, and sometimes universe for the sake of Kiyone.

DBZ- Defined toonami for years, for better or worse it gave toonami it's popularity.

Sailor moon- one of the few magical girl series I've seen, full of "talent".

Hamtaro- Loved this show, screw anyone who disagree's

Space ghost- without it there would be nothing.

GingaDaiuchuu

DBZ - This was the perfect show for Toonami, the best action cartoon ever on the best action cartoon block ever, and the reason I started watching Toonami every day, and every week when that time came.

Tenchi - Action anime series about a guy and a bunch of hot chicks.

Rurouni Kenshin - Some of the best action and storytelling I had seen at the time, and the reason I bought Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal, one of my favorite anime ever.

Yu Yu Hakusho - DBZ with a badass teenage protagonist.

Outlaw Star - The second best 26-episode 1998 Sunrise anime series.

Xoie

DBZ (and dragonball and dbgt really)
Naruto
Tenchi
Yuyu Hakusho
Justice League (and unlimited)

But I'd also like to mention Rave Master, Teen Titans, Sailor Moon, Kenshin, the Miyazaki movies, Hellboy movies, MAR, the He-Man remake, IGPX, and Zatch Bell. There were many reasons I loved Toonami over the years.

Raidon Makoto

Long Live The Heroes
Let's see:

1. Bo^7: Probably my most favorite show on Toonami. It was action combined with all the zany antics of Bobobo, Don Patch, and Jelly Jiggler. I wish this show's DVDs were still coming out.
2. Dragonball Z: This show earned Toonami its title of being the greatest action block. It was certainly the Greatest Action Show ever. TOM's words are so true.
3. Fun Piece: Awesome. Just... Pure... Awesome.
4. The DCAU: Perhaps the greatest cartoon universe, the DCAU's home was Toonami. Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill will forever hold a special place in my heart for their portrayals of Batman and the Joker.
5. G Gundam: My favorite Gundam series of them all, G Gundam was non-stop action and awesome all rolled into one.
6. Naruto: Yes, I realize its top 5, but Naruto was so close to be #5 that I had to include it. I literally screamed in joy when I saw it was rated TV-PG the first night it aired.

Bang.

Zeonic Freak

Make MD Geist Great Again!
Mine would be:

1. Gundam Wing/other gundam

2. Dragonball Z

3. Tenchi Muyo series/Sailor Moon (Yes, both count for number 3)

4. Reboot

5. Rurouni Kenshin

after showing half of Gundam Seed (or at least i thought), i just plain gave up on toonami at that point.

Plus, if i got into it at the beginning, i would have probably gotten into Robotech at that point in time...

toonami012

1. Dragonball Z- My favorite anime/cartoon ever. If it wasen't for toonami, I would not have known about the awesome show. Thats like 50% of the reason I loved toonami.

2. Teen Titans- I loved this show. At first I hated it, but my friend told me about it so I checked it out. and All of the sudden I started to like it. I missed it alot when it ended. :robin:

3. Naruto- I loved this show also. Again, if it wasen't for toonami, I would not have found this show. I remember i dident even watch the Japanese version and just wait for every weekend for the new episodes. Memories...

4. IGPX- I liked this show also. It was a very cool anime, but not as good as DBZ or Naruto. Again I was very sad when it ended.

5. BoBoBo- A very weird funny anime I liked. I dident watch this that much in toonami because most of the times i forget, but I don't regret it because i can watch episodes onlne :)

SurgeV1

DBZ
Dragon Ball
Naruto
One Piece
Teen Titans

I miss Toonami already..Bang.

Ajax

Sailor Moon - Idk why, just a very special anime for me. Introduced me to the magical girl and shojo anime which is fav anime gerne.

DBZ - The gateway anime, its what got me to love anime.

The Tenchi Saga - I think the series speaks for itself, it was also inadverntely the first anime movie I ever saw.

Gundam: The 08th MS Team - Since I was never truly a fan of Gundam Wing, this Gundam show is what introduced me to the greatness that is Gundam, by far my most fav Gundam to ever air on Toonami.

Rurouni Kenshin - This was a toss up really between YYH and RK, but RK gets the nod, I loved this show and would be one of the last shows on Toonami that I went out of my way to watch everyday.

jph139

Immortal
Hmm...

5) Yu Yu Hakusho - A classic, through and through. A fantastic cast, and a great storyline, despite the fact it's really just a sequence of tournaments with some diversion in between.

4) Batman: the Animated Series - I don't remember anything about it other than it being unbearably awesome.

3) Dragon Ball/Z/GT - It's influence on Shonen, action, and anime in America is astounding - and, through all its flaws, it's really a great show. Well, shows. Dragon Ball and Z, at least. GT... ehh, not so much. But as a whole, the Dragon Ball legacy is astounding.

2) One Piece - Personally, I think it's everything Dragon Ball is and more. So far, it's one of my favorite shows EVER, and it still has a decade or so left. Characters? Perfect. Comedy? Hilarious. Action? Fantastic. It's far from flawless, but that which does not ruin it only makes it stronger.

1) Rurouni Kenshin - My favorite series of all time, defintely. Drama is top-notch, action is great... all-but-perfect. Even without the Revenge Arc, it's the best action that Toonami's ever shown, as far as I'm concerned.

Honorable Mentions - Gundam SEED, Tenchi Muyo, Ronin Warriors, Big O... hell, pretty much everything! :tom: Too much awesome to list.

zoid9000

Turn A Turn
Top 5? With 11 years worth of shows? That's...too hard.

I ended up with a top 7...after much cutting. This list leans more towards shows that I enjoy, but also associate with Toonami. If you took the Toonami aspect of it out, well then, the list would be a little different.

(In no specific order)
  • DB/DBZ saga - Going to get this one out of the way first, as it is the most obvious. Definitely one of the most epic action shows ever to grace the block, I can't think of Toonami without DB/DBZ coming to mind. From the young adventures of Goku taking on the Red Ribbon army, to fighting various incarnations of Buu for the fate of the universe. I fondly remember it all and it definitely was what put the block on the map in many ways.
  • IGPX - This show was, as far as I am concerned, the epitome of everything that Toonami stood for: Never giving up, rising up, making a difference, being passionate about what you do. Not to mention: the ninja tune beats, the well thought out characters and the intense racing action battles. This show had it all, it even spiced it up with some swearing, which was a big surprise. Toonami's own series, I think the show had the same charm as the block and I loved every minute of it.
  • Outlaw Star - Gene Starwind and his ragtag crew going on adventures through the stars in one of THE coolest ships ever. This show was a ton of fun and a great fit for the block. And Broken Promise (Dreams) tied it to the block forever.
  • Zoids: Chaotic Century / Guardian Force - Yeah, what can I say, Zoids was one of the most influential series for me. CC had great characters, awesome robot animal mechs and a story that blew me away. Tom's announcement of the airing of the Final Four after months of waiting is one of my favorite Toonami moments.
  • Megas XLR - Man...this show was awesome. It was so...unique and well thought out. I was so excited when I heard it was becoming a series after I saw the Lowbrow pilot, and it was going to be on Toonami no less! It was the perfect place for an awesome show about a crazy giant robot and its fun loving pilot. I honestly hope this series comes to DVD one day.
  • Samurai Jack - One of the best animated action shows I've seen. Great storytelling and animation style, I felt it really fit well on Toonami and I was glad to see it get more exposure. I loved the intros/bumpers they had for this. And like with Zoids, Toonami was the home to the final four episodes after some waiting.
  • Justice League / Unlimited - This show was great. Superheroes are awesome and this show took it a step beyond, the best heroes you can think of teaming up my favorite action block. Blew my mind, even more so when we had stuff like the Cadmus arc and really Unlimited as a whole. It was a really amazing action show and helped beef up Toonami's non-anime arsenal. Also, this show is forever associated with Amon Tobin's verbal, in my mind.
This list would be pretty different if I didn't consider Toonami as part of it. It wasn't just that the show aired on Toonami, but it was shows that I enjoyed more because they had custom intros/promos/bumpers, and stuff like that. I hope that makes sense, I can't really explain it as well as I would like to.

Creme

Outlaw Star
Mobile Suit Gundam
G Gundam
Rurouni Kenshin
Batman: The Animated Series

Alzatia

DB/DBZ: C'mon...DBZ made Toonami the Toonami we fell in love with. >.>

The Tenchi Series: Probly one of the most memorable and one I adored as a kid. I really loved the fact that it was random and hilarious.

Rurouni Kenshin: It was different becuase it not only brought forth good action, it also had a good story and good drama. A unique, but amazing series for Toonami.

Gundam Wing: It's what got me into model kits and it's one I hold close.

Zoids Chaotic Century/Guardian Force: Zoids just HAD to make my top 5. Zoids impacted me in way no other franchise has, it's a huge part of my life now. 'Nuff said.

purplehairedwonder

No woman should suffer at the hands of men
Staff member
Oh boy, this is difficult.

1. DB/Z: The obvious choice because DBZ was Toonami. It was how I got hooked on Toonami and anime in general and is just the original. It may not be one of my top favorites, but it holds a special place in my heart and it is just too influential not to mention.

2. Yu Yu Hakusho: My all-time favorite series. My favorite collective cast, my favorite character, some amazing fights, and it actually made you think. I've heard it described as "DBZ with brains" but I think it's more than that. It's just a classic.

3. Rurouni Kenshin: Classic samurai awesomeness. Drama, awesome fights, great characters... a really excellent series.

4. Zoids Chaotic Century: A underappreciated series, I think. People know about it from Toonami and the consesus seems to be that it was good, but it just never gets talked about. It's definitely in my favorite series list. The Final Four apology commerical/marathon is one of my favorite Toonami moments.

5. Justice League/JLU: Superheroes teaming up and doing what they do best. It refused to dumb itself down and that made it all the more entertaining to watch. An American gem among the many anime series that aired on the block.

Honorable Mentions: Gundam SEED, Batman Beyond, Cyborg 009, G Gundam, IGPX, Megas XLR, One Piece, Naruto, Teen Titans

The more I think about it, the more series I remember loving and the list just keeps growing. I better stop xD

Zach Logan

We are Maji!
I've been watching since 1999...but these are my Toonami Top 5...

1) Gundam Wing - It's the show that brought me in to Toonami. It's the show that revolutionized Toonami to become more then just the hits.

2) Dragonball/Z - DBZ and it's predecessor are what brought Toonami it's viewers in bulk, 'till it's end DBZ has been Toonami's #1 series, and though it over aired, it helped make Toonami what it was at its peak.

3) Outlaw Star - Outlaw Star was the little show with a great plot, great characters, and explicit material, that managed to make its way to air on CN, and it's all thanks to Williams Street that we saw it.

4) YuYu Hakusho - It's not a series that started or ended on a Toonami, but it defined the only bastion in a move that began its demise. It should have been the DBZ for the next generation, but CN knows when to kill a good show...

5) Reboot - Reboot is that series you'd never expect to see, it was ahead of its time, and very different from anything else you've seen on TV, but there it was, on Toonami.

What Toonami Revolutionized:

The Intruder - This is how you make fans, you get them involved, and you show how cool the result can be...
Giant Robot Week - Though there were bad ratings galore, the experiment that took place made Toonami an even greater block.
IGPX - Toonami made it's own series, how many blocks on basic cable do that?

MetroSparkster

...has nothing to say.
G Gundam- Its concept for the Gundam controls and the legendary Gundam Fight and action sequences made me love this more than Gundam Wing. Plus the promo was awesome!
Zoids Zero- Saw this before the Chaotic Century series. Plus like G Gundam, I liked the Tornament concept.
Bobobo-Weirdest anime ever imo. Don Patch is the true star!
DBZ- One of the firsts! Period! (I didn't even know what anime was back then!)
Beast Wars-Even though this was aired somewhere else, it's still my absolute favorite Transformers series. I think they did the Transmetals promotion contests during its phase here...

Honorable Mentions:

Sailor Moon-One very first anime I ever watched
Johnny Quest: The Real Adventures- Don't know why but was pretty cool.
Teen Titans
Hamtaro (It was just strange to see a cutesy anime like this in an action block, but I watched it anyway)
Tenchi
SD Gundam
IGPX
Megas XLR
Duel Master (Parody induced YuGiOh series)
GI Joe mini-movies
Astro Boy
Batman Beyond- Spent some time here after its run on Kids WB.

Events:
DBZ New Year's Eve Marathon- I stayed up from midnight to 5 or 6 in the morning watching the ENTIRE Garlic Jr. Saga!
Toonami/Kids WB week: I missed out on most of this... I don't think it was that big.

RockmanDash

Retired
Dragonball Z- My very first anime and I use to love watching the old episodes with my older brother. It's very strange how fast time can pass by since I was so young back then xD.

Zoids Chaotic Century- The best Zoids Toonami has ever aired and was really enjoyable as me and my cousin would always talk about it. It's sad to say I forgot most of the plot and I never did get to see the final episodes.

Outlaw Star- I forgot a lot about Outlaw Star also but I do remember I did love to watch it when it came on. I remember taking a trip to New york when the last episodes were being aired in re runs and I had to watch it and made sure I did not miss it.

Rurouni Kenshin- My cousin first started watching this and kept on telling me about the first episode so I decided to watch the second episode and seriously found it to be one of the best action shows on Toonami. Kenshin really did win in the weekday block as I would always rush home to watch it.

Hamtaro- When I was a kid I really did like Hamtaro xD. Of course I never really told anybody as I thought it was a girl show but.. it was actually very fun to watch. And the theme song was catchy, little hamsters big adventures my best friend.:sweat:

Bo7: The crazy and wacky adventures of Bobobo were always what I enjoyed most on Toonami when it aired and I am really happy all the episodes were able to air when Toonami still had it's 4 hours of awesomeness.

G Gundam: It was a really different Gundam show indeed and just the tournament fights and the story really amazed me. And this line never did escape my head "TAKE THIS MY LOVE, MY ANGER, AND ALL OF MY SORROW!"

Those are all the ones I can really say anything about. Of course I enjoyed Tenchi, Naruto, Zatch Bell, SD Gundam, Gundam Wing, and a whole other load of shows that Toonami aired.

Droopy McKOOL

1. Gundam 8th Ms team -My favorite Gundam series
2. Mobile Suit Gundam -For me the first Gundam series has aged remarkably well
3. Reboot -This show was just fun, I have many great memories of it.
4. Dragon Ball Z -one of the shows that got me into Japanese Anime
5. Sailor Moon -the other show that got me into Japanese Anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts