Opening Theme Music 2

dumbfoolkid5

I know it's been asked before but humor me please, Cartoons are never gonna have opening and closing theme music like Japanese anime are they? I'm not asking for big name musicians or a minute and a half theme songs but theme songs that don't say the title of the show in the lyrics and no sound effects in the song as for the closing same thing. And be great if they change it every season if they could. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

dumbfoolkid5

Yeah but remove the sound effects and itll be a great example but the best example would be American Dad although I don't like the show that much.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I have no idea how it works but it felt like the anime I've seen that have ever changing theme songs they usually use songs from actual bands and singers that are sold as their real singles. Are the songs owned by the record companies are by the anime studios? I feel like that would be a big issue here.

As I'm trying to think of shows that had songs where they used actual recording artists and the songs didn't feature the name of the show, the first that comes to mind was Generator Rex.

I generally liked when they got bands to make a song and I've hated how intros have been shortened so much now. Music has always been a huge thing for me and it's a essential part of the show, from the theme song to the score to licensed or original songs to the end credits music. It's all an important part of the package and I hate to see any sort of slight.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

dumbfoolkid5

I have no idea how it works but it felt like the anime I've seen that have ever changing theme songs they usually use songs from actual bands and singers that are sold as their real singles. Are the songs owned by the record companies are by the anime studios? I feel like that would be a big issue here.

As I'm trying to think of shows that had songs where they used actual recording artists and the songs didn't feature the name of the show, the first that comes to mind was Generator Rex.

I generally liked when they got bands to make a song and I've hated how intros have been shortened so much now. Music has always been a huge thing for me and it's a essential part of the show, from the theme song to the score to licensed or original songs to the end credits music. It's all an important part of the package and I hate to see any sort of slight.

Oh my gosh, this Rex's theme, nice.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
There are plenty of cartoon theme songs that don't say the title of the show. Just off the top of my head:
-Aaahh! Real Monsters
-Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
-Batman TAS
-Beavis and Butt-Head
-Bob and Margaret
-Bojack Horseman
-Brak Show
-Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
-Cartoon Sushi
-Critic
-Dexter's Lab
-Doug
-Dr. Katz
-Duckman
-Eek! the Cat
-Futurama
-Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
-Jackie Chan Adventures
-Jonny Quest (both old and new)
-Jumanji
-Justice League
-King of the Hill
-Mission Hill
-Ren & Stimpy
-Rugrats
-Shnookums & Meat
-Stressed Eric
-Superman TAS
-Tick, The
-Totally Spies!
-Tripping the Rift

And there are plenty I left out.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member

https://youtu.be/3tEL9u_TPTY

Just thinking about this a little more. These are lyrical songs I have thought of as highly memorable, and that I always think of in connection with their shows, that also managed to not have to constantly use the name of the show title or main character. Outside of the Star vs the Forces of Evil intro, I don't think any of these lyrically feel like they specifically only reference the show that they exist for, though I can be wrong. They don't really feel like jingles for the character ImHO.

surchicham

The majority of the time, entertainment shows feature songs that were written specifically for the project or songs by lesser-known musicians. Then these songs become cult classics. The animated film Shrek and its amazing opening music All Star-Smash Mouth are a perfect example of the latter. Because the rights to utilize the song are significantly cheaper for songs that aren't well-known, this method is used. To market a song, several studios use music promotion services. This is convenient given that you previously paid a low price for the rights. After that, the song became well-known. By doing so, you have ensured even greater interest in your project.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I have been watching the Droids series for the first time recently and its theme song has gotten stuck in my head, so it feels coincidental that this thread resurfaced.

And another favorite comes to mind as well...

The majority of the time, entertainment shows feature songs that were written specifically for the project or songs by lesser-known musicians. Then these songs become cult classics. The animated film Shrek and its amazing opening music All Star-Smash Mouth are a perfect example of the latter.

All-Star's connection to Shrek always surprised me since I remembered when I couldn't escape it on the radio a few years earlier, around the time that it was on the Mystery Men soundtrack; a movie that was thoroughly overshadowed by the song. I guess it's all due to how well they incorporated it into the opening of Shrek, and how much of an impact that had on the generation that grew up with the movie.

Last edited:

username3

God damn, Classic Speedy, Totally Spies was a banger. Got so many great memories watching the show, and the music was just something else. Sadly, there were no ad companies, like Buy Spotify Plays - Streaming Famous: Get Noticed!, to spread it out, as anime does. However, our dreams may come true with the reannouncing of the 7th season. I remember vividly how emotionally stunning the spy theme was when the girls started their adventure and reassembled a team. It's something that modern film production could only dream of, but we had it as our crazy childhood.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts