Open discussion: What if The Hub Network was a successful competitor(after 2014)?

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
This is something that I had been on mind lately, and I really want to talk about it.

Major apologizes if I come across as a broken record or being too obsessive on this topic, but honestly I felt the concept had a lot of potential to thrive, but got squandered completely and it makes me wish this concept was given a second chance if it was in the right hands.

Before streaming services like Netflix, Disney Plus, and HBO Max dominating the family entertainment industry, we had family networks on cable television. Quite honestly, I'm very fascinated by their history and their programming on how much they evolved over the years to the very end. However, if there's one family network that stood out to me the most, was The Hub Network.

In my personal opinion, The Hub Network had a lot of potential to be next kids and family network that can rival The Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon in terms of quality content. It such a shame that all of stupid complications between Discovery and Hasbro that pretty much gave up The Hub way too soon and it was replaced by the dreadful Discovery Family that is today.

However, when I researched the behind the scenes issues going with The Hub, I sadly realized the concept was a dead on arrival from the start. Which sucks because the The Hub's initial plan was ambitious and extravagate. Discovery don't care because they're were focused on OWN, Hasbro don't know how to run a TV network (keep in mind, this was before they bought Entertainment One and Power Rangers) other than corporate shilling their products, Mattel and Lego backed away from advertising The Hub, relying too much on MLP G4, LPS 2012, nostalgic cartoons, sitcoms and movies for their own good. It was such a mess.

I would blame on Discovery for screwing it up, but Hasbro are also responsible for The Hub's downfall which led them to become a content provider for Discovery Family rather than co-owned the network.

Now, I had been thinking about this for a while, and I said to myself: What if The Hub Network was successful?

(Imagine Netflix was still small it and was a movie streaming service and didn't dominate the streaming market and cable TV was still thriving in a somewhat good shape)

If they do, they should:

1) Sacrifice OWN Network and have Discovery take over The Hub themselves from the very beginning and let Hasbro be the content provider and focus on The Hub if they want to compete against the big three kids networks..

2) Focus on their initial 2010 slate and move forward with it instead of dismissing it a year later.

3) Same thing could said with HubBub and HuBoom blocks. Plus, make new programming blocks to keep it fresh.

4) Rely less on the same movies, create brand new original movies, and put them on weekends.

5) Same thing with classic sitcoms and animated shows, except air them in overnight hours on weekdays and weekends.

6) Market the hell out of The Hub as you can and bring Mattel and Lego back for the advertising of The Hub.

7) Rely less on MLP and LPS, and focus more on brand new original series that's from Hasbro or The Hub Network themselves.

So there ya have it, folks. Like I said, I really love The Hub Network and it does have great potential to be the next kids and family network on cable. Sure, they were other family networks that tried to capture that audience but most of the time, they came and went so quickly for various reasons. Fox Family and Odyssey Network, anybody?

So personally, if The Hub had a chance to succeed if it was given to the right hands, then they'll become a major player in the kids and family market.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

harry580

This is something that I had been on mind lately, and I really want to talk about it.

Major apologizes if I come across as a broken record or being too obsessive on this topic, but honestly I felt the concept had a lot of potential to thrive, but got squandered completely and it makes me wish this concept was given a second chance if it was in the right hands.

Before streaming services like Netflix, Disney Plus, and HBO Max dominating the family entertainment industry, we had family networks on cable television. Quite honestly, I'm very fascinated by their history and their programming on how much they evolved over the years to the very end. However, if there's one family network that stood out to me the most, was The Hub Network.

In my personal opinion, The Hub Network had a lot of potential to be next kids and family network that can rival The Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon in terms of quality content. It such a shame that all of stupid complications between Discovery and Hasbro that pretty much gave up The Hub way too soon and it was replaced by the dreadful Discovery Family that is today.

However, when I researched the behind the scenes issues going with The Hub, I sadly realized the concept was a dead on arrival from the start. Which sucks because the The Hub's initial plan was ambitious and extravagate. Discovery don't care because they're were focused on OWN, Hasbro don't know how a TV network (keep in mind, this was before they bought Entertainment One and Power Rangers) other than corporate shilling their products, Mattel and Lego backed away from advertising The Hub, relying too much on MLP G4, LPS 2012, nostalgic cartoons, sitcoms and movies for their own good. It was such a mess.

I would blame on Discovery for screwing it up, but Hasbro are also responsible for The Hub's downfall which led them to become a content provider for Discovery Family rather than co-owned the network.

Now, I had been thinking about this for a while, and I said to myself: What if The Hub Network was successful?

(Imagine Netflix was still small it and was a movie streaming service and didn't dominate the streaming market and cable TV was still thriving in a somewhat good shape)

If they do, they should:

1) Sacrifice OWN Network and have Discovery take over The Hub themselves from the very beginning and let Hasbro be the content provider and focus on The Hub if they want to compete against the big three kids networks..
I mean, own network would have gone to cbs corporation/viacom instead, discovery can keep discovery health instead of replacing it with own
2) Focus on their initial 2010 slate and move forward with it instead of dismissing it a year later.
I see what you did here
3) Same thing could said with HubBub and HuBoom blocks. Plus, make new programming blocks to keep it fresh.

the hub should have more blocks, imagine a block for teens?
4) Rely less on the same movies, create brand new original movies, and put them on weekends.
I think I can see a gi Joe or transformers or a crossover animated film
5) Same thing with classic sitcoms and animated shows, except air them in overnight hours on weekdays and weekends.
maybe a block like nick at nite would do the trick
6) Market the hell out of The Hub as you can and bring Mattel and Lego back for the advertising of The Hub.
but the hub owner is hasbro, so that's a problem
7) Rely less on MLP and LPS, and focus more on brand new original series that's from Hasbro or The Hub Network themselves.
I agree with that
So there ya have it, folks. Like I said, I really love The Hub Network and it does have great potential to be the next kids and family network on cable. Sure, they were other family networks that tried to capture that audience but most of the time, they came and went so quickly for various reasons. Fox Family and Odyssey Network, anybody?
I like to see a thread on odyssey and fox family next

and
if I running the hub, I would bought out hasbro ownership and add the discovery name to the hub so the hub didn't sound generic or rebrand the hub back to discovery kids

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I mean, own network would have gone to cbs corporation/viacom instead, discovery can keep discovery health instead of replacing it with own

Yeah, why can't they do that?
I see what you did here
;)

the hub should have more blocks, imagine a block for teens?

Yeah, they should.
I think I can see a gi Joe or transformers or a crossover animated film

I can see that.

maybe a block like nick at nite would do the trick

As long they got new and original family sitcoms instead of just reruns, then sure.

but the hub owner is hasbro, so that's a problem

True, but what if Hasbro didn't owned The Hub and just stay as a content provider and Discovery advertised The Hub themselves?

I agree with that
:)

I like to see a thread on odyssey and fox family next
Probably not because I'm not familiar with them so I can't really say besides their existence.

and
if I running the hub, I would bought out hasbro ownership and add the discovery name to the hub so the hub didn't sound generic or rebrand the hub back to discovery kids
Ok, what would be like?

harry580

Yeah, why can't they do that?
I said viacom/cbs because Oprah Winfrey used to have a deal with them for the Oprah Winfrey show so why not have viacom/cbs made a channel for her
Ok, what would be like?
my idea is the same as your ideas for the hub network, but for the movie block it could air movies like willy wonka (1971), rio (1 and 2), ice age 3, kung fu panda, over the hedge, surfs up as well as others and also more hub original movies like the crossover I mention, and give the hub a animation studio division, I would buyout hasbro stake of the network so the network can air commercials from lego and Mattel, also I can rebrand either back to discovery kids or give the discovery word to the hub so it could said discovery hub instead just the hub

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I said viacom/cbs because Oprah Winfrey used to have a deal with them for the Oprah Winfrey show so why not have viacom/cbs made a channel for her
Oh, okay.

also I can rebrand either back to discovery kids or give the discovery word to the hub so it could said discovery hub instead just the hub
Either a) go to the Noggin-The N method by keeping The Hub as a programming block and Discovery Kids should stay or b) go to the Nickelodeon method by having preschool shows in the mornings (Discovery Jr/HubBub), Discovery Kids shows (and some Hasbro shows) in the afternoons, and original family sitcoms and movies at night (Discovery Family).

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
One of the things that I wish The Hub could've added was to have it's own primetime programming block. We already had HubBub, HuBoom!, and Hub Family Movie at their disposal, why not make a primetime block? Granted, we got Hub Primetime, but that's just old sitcom reruns. I'm talking about a primetime block that aired new episodes of their current shows and new original shows.

I mean, take a look at the short-lived HubWorld series. In my opinion, It should've been a block to begin with because it does reminds me a lot of Cartoon Network Fridays, except without the skits. Plus, Hubworld aired new episodes on Fridays at the time, so...

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Sorry for double posting, but I found this interesting Hub Network ad that I wanted to share.

The Hub Network used to had it's own app back in Spring 2014. It's basically the Hub website in app form. Unfortunately, it didn't that last that long. Despite the app was short lived, at least it's better than The Discovery Family Go app.

Also, here's two questions that I want to ask: Why did the CEO of The Hub, Margaret Loesch, left in 2014? Plus, how come Discovery were focusing on the Discovery Kids Channel after they left the NBC block in 2006, yet they barely put any effort on their lineup until Hasbro came along in 2009? Yet, when they did put out effort on The Hub, Discovery decided to quickly bailed out and focus on OWN Network and let Hasbro do all the work? I find that incredibly hypocritical.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Honestly? Discovery didn't wanna do any work and don't care about kid programming. They just saw Hasbro wanting to do something and went with the opportunity. Without Hasbro, there would have been no Hub.
Yeah, that's kinda the sad reality of it all. If Discovery actually does care about kids programming and taking it a lot more seriously, then The Hub would've been in a much better place right now.

So yeah, I blame Discovery for screwing it up. Though, I would blame Hasbro too, but to be fair, they were in a different time before they bought Entertainment One, Power Rangers, and Boulder Media, so I don't blame them for not handling a TV network since it's supposed to be Discovery's job.

Now that Discovery has their own streaming service, Discovery Plus, they didn't even mention Discovery Family nor has any Discovery Kids shows on their service. I get that Hasbro has a 40% ownership of DF, but still it really does show that Discovery didn't care about the channel and just only used it as a recycling bin for Discovery's other channels programming rather than being the next legitimate kids TV competitor.

With the way Discovery Family is right now, I'm predicting that either:

A) Shut down the channel or rebrand into something else.

B) Discovery might as well sell the channel and give it to Hasbro if they don't want it anymore (which I doubt).

or C) Hasbro decided to call it quits and focusing on Netflix and YouTube content instead (which is most likely).

I don't know, The Hub was so refreshing compare to other kids networks at the time and I would love to see the network going forward with their content, you would've think Discovery actually take advantage of kids TV market and compete with the big three? Instead, they just don't want to put any effort. Which is a shame.

Oh well, I'm glad that Friendship is Magic was able to become a big success for the network because if it wasn't for G4, then The Hub wouldn't been as successful as it did.

Hopefully, The Hub will might come back if Hasbro is interested revitalizing it again (or probably rebooting it altogether from scratch), but considering that streaming is more of a priority than cable television, I'm not holding my breath on that even though I do miss it.

Any input?

themidnightlore

That one that banters over Sony TV channels
Now that Discovery has their own streaming service, Discovery Plus, they didn't even mention Discovery Family nor has any Discovery Kids shows on their service. I get that Hasbro has a 40% ownership of DF, but still it really does show that Discovery didn't care about the channel and just only used it as a recycling bin for Discovery's other channels programming rather than being the next legitimate kids TV competitor.

With the way Discovery Family is right now, I'm predicting that either:

A) Shut down the channel or rebrand into something else.

B) Discovery might as well sell the channel and give it to Hasbro if they don't want it anymore (which I doubt).

or C) Hasbro decided to call it quits and focusing on Netflix and YouTube content instead (which is most likely).
Gonna hijack (?) this with a thing. If I'm not wrong, both Discovery Family and DIY aren't on the Discovery+ channels in the USA. For DIY, it's known it will shut down for launch Mangolia (or whatever it's suppoed to be called). So, maybe Discovery Familly will be replaced with something else?

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
Gonna hijack (?) this with a thing. If I'm not wrong, both Discovery Family and DIY aren't on the Discovery+ channels in the USA. For DIY, it's known it will shut down for launch Mangolia (or whatever it's suppoed to be called). So, maybe Discovery Familly will be replaced with something else?
I wouldn't be surprised if DF will be replaced with something else because nobody gives a damn about that channel since Day 1.

AudreySnappy

Cartoon and anime fan.
I fi
Sorry for double posting, but I found this interesting Hub Network ad that I wanted to share.

The Hub Network used to had it's own app back in Spring 2014. It's basically the Hub website in app form. Unfortunately, it didn't that last that long. Despite the app was short lived, at least it's better than The Discovery Family Go app.

Also, here's two questions that I want to ask: Why did the CEO of The Hub, Margaret Loesch, left in 2014? Plus, how come Discovery were focusing on the Discovery Kids Channel after they left the NBC block in 2006, yet they barely put any effort on their lineup until Hasbro came along in 2009? Yet, when they did put out effort on The Hub, Discovery decided to quickly bailed out and focus on OWN Network and let Hasbro do all the work? I find that incredibly hypocritical.
I find it hypocritical too.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.

Here's an interesting interview from Margaret Loesch, the former CEO of The Hub Network, back in 2019. She talked about her experience when she worked on The Hub Network at the time.

Although, here's what I'm wondering. How come she left The Hub Network in 2014? I thought she's doing a great job with her ambitious plan for The Hub and she was able to go forward with it.

Is their any reason why?

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
You know what? I just thought of something today.

What if Hasbro bought Boulder Media and Power Rangers years earlier when The Hub was still a thing?

The reason why I say this because 1. Boulder Media will create more original animated series for The Hub exclusively, and not just tie in to Hasbro.

2. If Power Rangers Samurai were to came out on The Hub instead of Nickelodeon in 2010, it would've been a smash hit. Not to mention, it would be a complete full circle since Margret Loesch worked on Fox Kids at the time when Power Rangers became a huge hit.

If Hasbro were to do that, then The Hub would've had a much longer lifespan.

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
I found the old article that announced Loesch's departure. Turns out they had a five-year contract and she decided not to renew it.
Oh okay.

Would Discovery Kids be a separate channel than being the original name of the Hub Network? Just curious.
Um, no. I don't think so. I was talking about what if The Hub Network (be it Discovery Kids' replacement) continues after 2014.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts