Onyx Equinox Series Talkback (Crunchyroll Original)

Mostezli

Not 4 Everyone & That's OK
Last edited:

Mostezli

I personally didn't dig the second episode as much as the series premiere, but I'm more-so waiting on the rest of the teased cast to show up. Still floored by the unique depiction of gods. Yeah there are giant titans like any other fantasy, but these gods also possess living beings in order to telepathically converse. Their lack of care for the living is underscored by these decaying possessed bodies. Humans are nothing more than useful tools for control of the environment, which sounds about right for these ancient tribe-based cultures.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I've been enjoying the first two episodes. Some of the voice acting is a little iffy, but I'm still happy to see a mostly Latine voice cast. Love the designs and the mythology is such a fresh breath of air after seeing so many takes on Greek and Norse myth.

Mostezli

The "Sokka" twins weren't as goof-bally as I thought they'd be. They do exude the same attitude.
I think this is the first episode for some sort of rock metal ost and definitely the first episode with the most foul language - made perfect sense in every circumstance & each one of them has been the funniest moment of this episode. Another highlight of course has to be the revelation of Izel's childhood and by extension the twins' upbringing. There's no way that paternal figure doesn't become more involved later on:
He comes across as the reverse "Uncle Max" trying to get kids out of their destinies

EP 4:
Now that's quite the revelation.
Evolution according to this mythology is that humans were and will always be the first sentient lifeforms before humans wind up as animals/monsters due to their own misdeeds. After every cataclysmic event, the cycle starts anew with an entirely different generation of humans. That seems to be how they separate their eras of history.
The new girl has a secret and the twins, Izel & her managed to work as such a good team that Mr. Jaguar decided to split away. That was the best written & acted episode to date, so the show must've finally found their groove.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
Yeah, I think episode four is probably my favorite. Izel is more proactive, we are re-introduced to Zyanya, and we even get some lore around the world and some backstory for Yaotl, including a refreshing moment of vulnerability from him. Even the twins' swearing was actually funny instead of awkward and out of place like in episode three.

SweetShop209

Anna Lencioni, the wife of series creator Sofia Alexander (who was also a storyboard artist for episode 4), posted a bit of inside information about the show.

"A little inside info is that Onyx Equinox was written by my wife Sofia following a time in her life when she was isolated from her family and loved ones after unwillingly being outed as gay. Her battle with the depression following that time are baked into the emotional moments."

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
That was pretty interesting. I somewhat knew Sofia and Anna from their storyboarding work. I'm glad Sofia has managed to put her dream out there. I know I mentioned this before, but it's also nice as a Mexican American to see Mayan and Aztec mythology put out there in such a mainstream way. I wanted to have the same feeling with Legend Quest, but that series focused on globe trotting adventures, so it didn't feel specific.

Mostezli

So this is surprising. Crunchyroll announced that season 1 has 12 episodes and the remaining episodes will come out all at once on December 26.

I wonder if they're considering that type of release for the other western shows they have in the pipeline OR did they just not anticipate releasing this later than the anime season as they've been more timely with the other Crunchyroll Originals.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I'm pretty mixed on this move overall. On one hand, I already bingewatch a lot of shows and it was nice to have something I could watch on a weekly basis. On the other hand, I hope this is a "gift" to the show's popularity (as Crunchyroll claims) and they're not just dumping the rest of the series.

I did like this past episode, but I think it is a bit of a step down from the previous one. The bickering between the kids got old, even if some of it was understandable. With Meque here, we're still one member short left before the group is fully formed.

EDIT: So I finally caught up on the series and I think it really picks up after they meet Xanastaku. She really surprised me as a character and she wasn't who the advertisements and even the intro made her seem to be. The story gets increasingly more interesting as the team gets closer to closing the gates.

I really liked how Mictecacihuatl essentially becomes the true main villain of the season. Her Villain Origin Episode was also pretty great, especially in how Yaotl is so important to it all. The dynamic of the gods in the final two episodes was really interesting, and I liked how Izel essentially refused to be played any one, even Quetzalcoatl. There's some blatant set-up for the next season, from Zyanya being a monster full time to the kids heading to Tenochtitlan and Tezcatlipoca setting a trap for them.

I really hope we get more of this series. I know interest isn't as high as other shows and who knows how the Sony purchase will affect things, but at least another season would be great.

Last edited:
How to Make Money as a Kid 2

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
Here's another weekly ideal CN schedule I made, for next week. No longer a "snooze button" all week long.

"There's no such thing as a perfect episode."

[Rewatches Bunny Raven]

"Nevermind."
Joachim Horseley, who did the music for Batman: Soul Of The Dragon, also does the music for Big City Greens.
my bad news: my laptop backspace key is not working... rest other keys in keyboard work fine

Still wish for keyboard backspace to be fixed..
I asked a basic yes or no question about Star Vs. Months ago, and these are the responses I get. Slander.

Featured Posts