"Onward" Pre-Release News & Discussion

TsWade2

I agree. They remind me of the characters from Prep and Landing.

I’m not keen on that. It’s starting to get to a point where you can’t visually tell the difference between Disney and a Pixar film. Times like this I wish they could’ve kept Disney a 2D animation studio instead of CG.

Based on the trailer and synopsis, I’m looking forward to this more than Toy Story 4. Mainly because I rather have an original story than a fourth installment to what should’ve stayed a trilogy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First, I agree that Disney should've kept 2d animation. It's just like the same old cgi animation and it seems like people are not tired of it. But, I'm still going to see Toy Story 4.

And as for Onward, I like it. THat's very interesting. It's not much right now, but just be thankful it's original this time, not a sequel.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
I know it's not much, but I like what I see do far. It's got animation that's pretty cute, has a few good laughs and has a great cast list. I'm real eager for this one right now.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Okay though I do appreciate getting what the plot is about and though it does follow the standard Pixar formula of "two people having to go on this journey together to get what they want that are pretty different personalities" I can see the possibilities now of Ian and Barley's adventure. The idea of having formed half their father and needing to get the other half back and do like how they are acknolwding magic and wonder can exist again. On the other hand though... not really any of the jokes land in this trailer (some of Chris Pratt's dramatic energy sounds like it can be fun but not against stuff like "oh I think you made everything small because I see it as big- oh wait a minute" which hasn't been funny in... this decade) and now that we know the story it does seem more generic in a way then I was expecting. However that doesn't mean the movie is bad because well Pixar has a habit of making terrible trailers. Mostly because they need to sell the movie to kids and that's usually done with the lowest common denominator or stupid jokes that thankfully are only in a small part of the movie. Again remember one of the big jokes of the Finding Nemo trailer was thinking an explosion was a fart and a squid inking themselves. So sadly if this is what it takes to sell the audience on this movie it's a necessary evil but the film itself will likely be a lot better. Guess we'll find out soon enough. Weird though we're getting a trailer now for this. Was this because Addams Family is coming out so there needs to be yet another animated film trailer out in order to hype and someone just sent this? Probably cause I can't think of any other reason it'd be out now.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
I appreciate that this trailer gave us more insight as to what the quest is about. Having a wizard staff that is able to bring you back from the dead for one day is a pretty interesting concept. And the fact that the brothers are only able to bring back the dad's legs at first is hilarious. I think this will be an entertaining story at least. Pixar has never really done a fairy tale setting before (aside from Brave), so this will be somewhat new territory for them. The fairy biker gang are probably going to be the popular joke characters of the film. And there were some other decent gags sprinkled throughout.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
"Onward [...] features a lesbian character: Officer Specter, a cyclops cop played by out actor Lena Waithe."
I don't mind this development, and I applaud Disney and Pixar for featuring an openly-LGBT character in one of their films. I just hope they don't go more than barely subtle with it, because I can see a lot of parents and other grown people get ready to make a big fuss and tear them a new one for this character, when they really don't have to.

Frontier

Staff member

TsWade2

I don't mind this development, and I applaud Disney and Pixar for featuring an openly-LGBT character in one of their films. I just hope they don't go more than barely subtle with it, because I can see a lot of parents and other grown people get ready to make a big fuss and tear them a new one for this character, when they really don't have to.
And I hope these crazy witch hunting group called One Million Moms isn't going to attack this movie, but I have a feeling it might happen. If they didn't attack Onward, I would be surprise. I'll try to accept Disney Pixar including a LGBT character, but my concern is if they include it, the parents (especially One Million Moms) will go crazy and go boycott Disney like they almost did for the Live action film of Beauty and the Beast and surprisingly Toy Story 4. But, that's just me. I just hope Disney and Pixar know what they're doing.

MegasMilo379

Finally.
And I hope these crazy witch hunting group called One Million Moms isn't going to attack this movie, but I have a feeling it might happen. If they didn't attack Onward, I would be surprise.
Of course, it's gonna happen (or at least might). They waste too much time vulture-circling over the wrong things on TV and in movies to get all Helen Lovejoy over - seeing them as the dumbing down of quality family entertainment, instead of telling parents what the kids should watch (which would probably ruin it for them anyway lol).

TsWade2

Of course, it's gonna happen (or at least might). They waste too much time vulture-circling over the wrong things on TV and in movies to get all Helen Lovejoy over - seeing them as the dumbing down of quality family entertainment, instead of telling parents what the kids should watch (which would probably ruin it for them anyway lol).
I guess you're right. Like I said, I hope Disney and Pixar know what they're doing.

5YearsOnEastCoast

"Onward, a new fantasy Pixar film about young elves (Tom Holland and Chris Pratt) who discover a wizard's staff, features a lesbian character: Officer Specter, a cyclops cop played by out actor Lena Waithe."

People are already criticizing this move. I even heard from some people online that they won't take their children to see Onward. Which could potentially hurt it. Which is sad because I am looking onward forward to it.
Also from what I read, that LGBT character appears in only ONE scene. So much about Disney being "progressive".

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
People are already criticizing this move. I even heard from some people online that they won't take their children to see Onward. Which could potentially hurt it. Which is sad because I am looking onward forward to it.
Also from what I read, that LGBT character appears in only ONE scene. So much about Disney being "progressive".
A select amount of people are always going to react poorly to these kind of announcements. Luckily that amount is usually very small. The best thing to do is ignore them.

Cave-Cat-87

As a long-time Pixar fan, ever since I first saw the first "Toy Story" years ago, I'm actually looking forward to this movie. I like the idea of fantasy creatures in a suburban setting, as well as the plot, even if the road trip plot has been done to death lots of times.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts