Once AS loses all their FOX shows, is there any hope for them to be brought back?

Tacartoon

This is something I've wondered ever since hearing the news that AS was to lose their entire FOX lineup next year - Is there any possibility that they might come back at some point? Or was it pretty much confirmed that they would be going permanently...?

SpaceCowboy

Disney's not gonna license those shows out, especially when they could build their own Adult Swim-esque block to counter program.

Last edited:

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Disney's not gonna license those shows out, especially when they could build their own Adult Swim-esque block to counter program.

This would work best if FXX was the sole Disney network airing adult animation including first-run and rerun shows. This means The Simpsons, Family Guy and Bob's Burgers all have to ditch Freeform. Any adult animated shows being planned for Freeform also go to FXX instead. Furthermore, Fox animated shows currently licensed to Comedy Central should be moved to FXX at the earliest opportunity.

As for what AS can do, perhaps WB Animation should produce adult animated sitcoms on ABC, CBS and NBC. WB has a strong relationship with CBS, which airs many sitcoms produced by the studio (most of them from Chuck Lorre). Then if any of these series hit 100 episodes, they can go on AS.

SpaceCowboy

This would work best if FXX was the sole Disney network airing adult animation including first-run and rerun shows. This means The Simpsons, Family Guy and Bob's Burgers all have to ditch Freeform. Any adult animated shows being planned for Freeform also go to FXX instead. Furthermore, Fox animated shows currently licensed to Comedy Central should be moved to FXX at the earliest opportunity.
Whatever. I wouldn't know what plans Disney has for these shows, but once they get complete control over their cable airings, they're going to corner that market.
As for what AS can do, perhaps WB Animation should produce adult animated sitcoms on ABC, CBS and NBC. WB has a strong relationship with CBS, which airs many sitcoms produced by the studio (most of them from Chuck Lorre). Then if any of these series hit 100 episodes, they can go on AS.
I think WB cares more about HBOMax at the moment. Adult Swim needs to partner with other studios/creators to make reliable exclusive content they can evergreen. And faster.

Last edited:

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Perhaps my reorganization of FX Networks could look like this:

FX - exclusively drama programming
FXX - live-action comedy programming
FXXA - adult animated comedy programming (though shows with more extreme content wouldn't air in the daytime)
FX Movie Channel - newer movies from all studios 24/7 with ads
FXM Retro - classic movies from the Disney library 24/7 with no ads

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
This is something I've wondered ever since hearing the news that AS was to lose their entire FOX lineup next year - Is there any possibility that they might come back at some point? Or was it pretty much confirmed that they would be going permanently...?
Like Daikun said, the latter.

Fox liked the money from the syndication. Adult Swim was good to draw eyes to their Animation Domination block. It was mutually beneficial. FX & FXX were fine on their own, so they didn't care to buy the properties.

Disney bought all of those Fox properties and need to fill up programing time and streaming rights. Disney+ & ABC, Freeform, FX, & FXX need to stay on the air and get enough viewers to justify the carriage fees. Family Guy, King of the Hill, Simpsons, Bob's Burger's reruns are guaranteed to get viewers(I wonder why Fox didn't think of a network like that years ago?). They don't have to pay rights fees and they can air them to get ad revenue, easy money.

Family Guy is a breadwinner for AS forsure, but Rick & Morty has the feel of what Family Guy was back in 2003-04 when AS started to rise. And now that AT&T owns Adult Swim....they have money to figure some things out. Heck, move Conan O'Brien's show to Adult Swim! American Dad is on TBS...why not move it to Adult Swim?

I think Conan's contract is with TBS. Same for American Dad. It may not be easy to move the shows over nor warranted.
Possibly, and I doubt they'd change it....but look at what ViacomCBS is doing with all their shows switching around Paramount/MTV/VH1. With At&T now, theres more money to work with and they want content to go out. I think Conan's niche audience works better with AS viewers who are younger...interesting guests and concepts. It also would allow him a bit more creative freedom.

To be honest, Conan was one of the minds behind the best era of the Simpsons...I'd love for them to do some projects with him supervising and providing input.

TheCartoonRailfan

Where's my senior discount?
I would definitely say that Family Guy and the other Fox shows will not be coming back to Adult Swim now that Disney owns Fox.

There are quite a few possibilities of what could happen after Fall 2021. Adult Swim could focus more on their own original content and possibly acquire more shows from Netflix or any other sources besides Fox. Cartoon Network could permanently take back the 9-11pm time block or Adult Swim could go back to 3-5 nights a week.

It is unlikely that Toonami will expand beyond three hours of airtime; weekday evening and Saturday Morning Toonami will not come back. Maybe some additional anime series and action shows could air under the AS name rather than Toonami, but only late at night.

I highly doubt we will have an Adult Swim channel in the U.S. unlike Canada.

Orange Mo

orangemo
For shows with 20th Television as copyright holder, nope, they won't be coming back. For new IPs like Housebroken and Dan Harmon's project under Fox only, I'd say they might have a chance.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts