Old pc game from 2000 doesn't start in Windows 10

• Enter to win two tickets to MIRAI plus Merch. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,589 67 1
Belgium
Hello everyone :)

Today I tried to install Donald Duck Quack Attack. (It is called Goin' Quackers in the US)
The installation was easy, everything worked like it should, but then I tried to start the game and I just got a white screen with "Donald Duck" in the upper left corner.

The game worked just fine on Windows XP.

Someone asked the same question in a German forum, but for Windows 7. They told him/her that you have to turn on a Compability Mode. Does anyone know how this works for Windows 10?

EDIT: I have tried the compability mode for Windows 98, XP (Pack 2) and XP (Pack 3) and none of them worked :(

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,589 67 1
Belgium
Well, I can't help you with downloading... It should be straightforward :sweat: You can try downloading it with compatibility mode on?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You need to download DirectX 9, 10, 11 or 12 and turn on the compatibility mode for Windows XP or Windows 2000.

DirectX 9 on microsoft.com (it's legal and free)
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/dow...02X558040X47a9805c5a3e4e1c68e3ebc9f3e2fad2)()
(286 kilobyte in total)

Compatibility mode:
Right mouse button => Properties => Compatibility => "Run the program in compatibility mode for:"

Choose Windows XP or Windows 2000.

When you want to defeat the second boss (the Beagle Boys), do not wear the vacation costume! The game will block completely. You need to play this level with the original costume. You can use Gyro Gearloose's machine to change your costume.

Last edited:

bistoboy

Sep 17, 2018
England
Thanks for the reply! It says that alredy have that version of DX9 (or higher) installed. and just wondering is your laptop a 32 bit OS as I think my 64bit pc is the problem as the CD launchers the first pop up, I click install and it just closes creating a background task called "32 bit setup launcher" and nothing happens

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Ratings
3,589 67 1
Belgium
Google is your friend:

I had this exact problem earlier, I solved it by closing a program that was blocking the installation from continuing.

Solution: go to Task Manager, on the details tab, right click on setup.exe and 'analyze wait chain', this may show you the program that is blocking the installation from continuing. In my case it was Evernote, I closed it and it worked again.

Step by step instructions + Screenshots
Source: Reddit (link)

bistoboy

Sep 17, 2018
England
yh thanks for the help I did find the same reddit thread lol, but now I get error 103 cant find _setup.dll which I think is a compatibility issue that I cant solve, im gonna try running on a virtual machine instead, thanks any way!

Spotlight

Staff online

Latest profile posts

DISH had recent upgrades on the 61.5 orbital slot this early morning. My signal strengths got increased and transponders were moved to another.

How Cartoon Network and TBS moved to other transponders. :P
What I love from the commercial studio Psyop, is the Cricket Wireless critters (known as the Cricketters) in different shapes and colored in Green, Yellow and Blue. So imaginative and cute! :)
Most Europeans here don't know about the old Grinch Christmas special. Even in Portugal.
When Is the Nickelodeon Highlights usually up for December? I Was just wondering...
I just had a bizzaro dream that Frank Welker was in my computer lab on campus! o_0