Official Celebrity Endorsement Cartoon Thread

Mr HooPoe

What do I feed the children? Lengthy sermons!
Something that has been puzzling me is what makes a celebrity endorsement cartoon a celebrity endorsement cartoon-- and all of the shows that fall under such a category. I want to make an official list in this thread and discuss every possible celebrity endorsement cartoon known.

What is a celebrity endorsement cartoon?
-Religious figures are excluded. I want to make this clear here and now.
-The focus of the show is one celebrity (or specific group of celebrities).
-It has to be an entire show about the celebrity, not just a one-time or barely recurring appearance.

Talk about what you think of any and all celebrity endorsement cartoons, while I try to make a list of them. Such is now present:

Shows That Premiered in the 1960’s:

The Beatles (1965-1967)

The New Three Stooges (1965-1966)

Laurel and Hardy (1966)

The Abbott and Costello Cartoon Show (1967-1968)

Shows That Premiered in the 1970’s:

Will the Real Jerry Lewis Please Sit Down (1970-1972)

The Harlem Globetrotters (1970-1972)

The Jackson 5ive (1971)

Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
(1972-1984)

The Osmonds
(1972)

Mission: Magic! (1973)

The Robonic Stooges
(1977-1978)

I Am the Greatest: The Adventures of Muhammed Ali (1977)

The Super Globetrotters (1979)

Shows That Premiered in the 1980’s:

The Gary Coleman Show
(1982-1983)

Mr T (1983-1984)

Hulk Hogan’s Rock ‘n’ Wrestling (1985-1986)

Chuck Norris: Karate Kommandos (1986)

Camp Candy (1989-1992)

Shows That Premiered in the 1990’s:

Kid ‘N’ Play (1990)

Little Rosey (1990)

Gravedale High (1990)

New Kids on the Block (1990)

Hammerman (1991)

Wish Kid (1991)

ProStars (1991)

Life with Louie
(1994-1998)

Waynehead (1996-1997)

The Blues Brothers
(cancelled in 1997 without premiere)

Shows That Premiered in the 2000’s:

Jackie Chan Adventures (2000-2005)

The Slim Shady Show
(2000-2003)

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen in Action!
(2001-2002)

Kid Notorious (2003)

Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi (2004-2006)

Santo vs the Clones (2004)

House of Cosbys (2005)

Sons of Butcher
(2005-2006)

Class of 3000 (2006-2008)

Shows That Premiered in the 2010’s:

The Ricky Gervais Show (2010-2012)

The Governator (cancelled in 2011 before premiere)

The Blues Brothers (cancelled in 2011 before premiere)

The LeBrons (2011-2014)

Ronaldinho Gaucho’s Team (2011-?)

Secret Millionaires Club (2011-2014)

AKB0048 (2012-2013)

Mike Tyson Mysteries (2014-present)

Major Lazer (2015)

Camp WWE (2016)

Last edited:

Mr HooPoe

Thanks, I will add Camp Candy to the list.

I already have The Beatles. Also, I am still unsure as to whether I should add movies as entries for this list, which would lead to a bunch of other entries that I excluded.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Thanks, I will add Camp Candy to the list.

I already have The Beatles. Also, I am still unsure as to whether I should add movies as entries for this list, which would lead to a bunch of other entries that I excluded.
Space Jam for one. Maybe it's best to just stick with TV cartoons.

Mr HooPoe

Okay, I started including images with select titles since Toonzone will let me include up to only 20 images. See them in my initial post.

I removed Partridge Family 2200 A.D. since that was a cartoon based on fictional characters. I am excluding those.

This may sound odd, but would it be logical to include cartoons centred around historical and mythical figures, causing me to break my religious cartoon rule, or should I just leave those excluded?

Mr HooPoe

Rick Moranis in Gravedale High come to mind.

I added that, along with Secret Millionaires Club, Little Rosey, The Ricky Gervais Show, Waynehead, and Mission: Magic!.

Also, should shows that include political figures like Lil Bush and Our Cartoon President be included? I am unsure of this and am tempted to do so.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Okay, I started including images with select titles since Toonzone will let me include up to only 20 images. See them in my initial post.

I removed Partridge Family 2200 A.D. since that was a cartoon based on fictional characters. I am excluding those.

This may sound odd, but would it be logical to include cartoons centred around historical and mythical figures, causing me to break my religious cartoon rule, or should I just leave those excluded?
Leave those excluded. The entire point is the celebrity endorsement of the cartoon.

Mr HooPoe

For the record, we can discuss what we think of celebrity endorsement cartoons in general and each individually listed one. I might as well begin with my general thoughts.

If I had to summarise celebrity endorsement cartoons in one word, it would be “immature.”

As far back as the 1960’s, the occasional celebrity—celebrated for whatever reason—has gotten a cartoon of some sort. This is all much to the approval of the celebrities themselves, often allowing them to make some sort of appearance in the cartoon (whether voicing a character or being featured in a live-action segment), though this would be a recurring theme much later in the future.

What do the cartoons really do, though? They got celebrities to approve a cartoon based on them or featuring them—and that is really where any effort to make something special ends. What we get from these approved shows is not much besides much of what appeals to the target audience without much else to assist it. Adult cartoons become subject to more low-brow, vulgar jokes that include the celebrities. Children’s cartoons do vary regarding this, since the shows tend to span multiple genres. Action shows have action with little attention given to how good it looks so long as the celebrity is there (expect a sports star to receive this). Comedy shows reuse tired gags that children would nevertheless find appealing (anyone else can get this). In general, the occupation of the celebrity may influence the genre of the show (though there are exceptions like Mike Tyson Mysteries with a boxer starring in a comedy).

Why did I pick “immature” instead of, say, “lazy?” That might have been your choice, but mine is a more obscure option and at least worth voicing. Besides, most celebrity endorsement cartoons may be lazy, but then there are those who work to cultivating a unique style that would be deemed fitting to the show. That in the very least shows some effort. The overall tone of these shows, however, is never really something taken seriously. The audience does not matter anymore—the celebrities end up starring in shows that simply put them in silly situations with their overused gags and lack of originality overall. This is not to say that silliness is immature, but the form of silliness that each show uses only makes the shows seem plain pathetic. Not one can be taken seriously. Not even those meant to be taken seriously, like Prostars, can be taken seriously (though I blame this outcome on laziness).

Could we have a celebrity endorsement cartoon that can be taken seriously? Perhaps something about the celebrity facing a situation that only s/he can solve in a signature way. One that resonates the celebrity’s personality but not in an egotistical manner. The celebrity is what s/he is, but whoever makes the cartoon needs to know the celebrity inside and out, so a well-versed cartoon can be made that people can call “mature” or “well-done.” (Granted, there may be a few shows on the list that have some form of maturity. However, are they really enough of a saving grace compared to the other shows that make the entire collection look like a flat-out joke?)

Mr HooPoe

Super Dave: Daredevil for Hire is now part of the list.

Also, I heard that there was a cancelled Red Hot Chili Peppers cartoon. I tried to look for it (the statement was made in 2003) but had no luck. Does anybody know anything about it?

Mr HooPoe

Now let us get this thread active for once.

The Super Dave cartoon might not count because Super Dave Osborn is a character played by Bob Einstein.

I guess so. Removed.

I also decided to change the layout of the list so that is not so clunky and flows in a chronological manner. Not to mention the additions of both webtoons The Slim Shady Show and The LeBrons.

I also still want to know if I should include shows satirising political figures and if there is any evidence of a proposed Red Hot Chili Peppers cartoon.

Tell me what you think of these celebrity endorsement cartoons and my list. Should I fix/change the images? What shows did I miss? What do you think of any of these shows or what I said about their general executions being immature? Discuss!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts