"Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney+ Series)" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

the greenman

obiwankenobi.jpg

Streaming Service Season One
Filming: January 2021
Release: May 25, 2022

Lucasfilm quietly confirms they are working on an Obi-Wan Kenobi film:

'Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi Film in the Works (Exclusive)

Stephen Daldry is Star Wars’ newest hope.

The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars stand-alone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal makes, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi stand-alone is one of several projects being developed by Lucasfilm and Disney that fall outside the trilogies telling the saga of the Skywalker family. A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard, and Lucasfilm is also considering movies centering on Yoda and bounty hunter Boba Fett, among other characters.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
No surprise there but glad to have it and the others confirmed. No script yet but I guess the question is McGregor or recast?

the greenman

I still think it's McGregor. He mysteriously was a no show for the 40th Anniversary panel at Star Wars Celebration. Not even a video correspondence. I mean granted there were some plausible reasons. 1. He was tied up with "Trainspotting 2" press junket schedule which released just the month before. 2. He may have simply cost too much (he's been pretty busy just this year). 3. They may have already told him this was in the works, and told him to sit this year out until an official announcement.

The question I have is are they going to delve into a pre-Episode 1 Obi-Wan or just time jump between that and senior Obi-Wan pre-Episode 4?

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
The question I have is are they going to delve into a pre-Episode 1 Obi-Wan or just time jump between that and senior Obi-Wan pre-Episode 4?
I think the latter. I believe either Rebels or the current comics or both are starting to peel at those stories. It was left pretty wide open to be explored, well, now.

Greg91

Reporter
Yes! Obi-Wan is one of my favorite characters so I was hoping for this to become a reality like many others. I expect the movie to take place not long after Episode 3 to avoid the comics and Rebels stories.

It would also allow some flashbacks from the prequel era as Obi-Wan takes in all the changes that have taken place in his life. It would be great if characters like Yoda, Anakin, and Mace Windu could show up again and even the live-action debut of Ahsoka Tano.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Yes! Obi-Wan is one of my favorite characters so I was hoping for this to become a reality like many others. I expect the movie to take place not long after Episode 3 to avoid the comics and Rebels stories.

It would also allow some flashbacks from the prequel era as Obi-Wan takes in all the changes that have taken place in his life. It would be great if characters like Yoda, Anakin, and Mace Windu could show up again and even the live-action debut of Ahsoka Tano.
And I'll say this: Ewan McGregor needs to return since his portrayal of the character was one of the good things from the prequels.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Lucho

'Ja think I'm a cowboy?
Looking forward to this more than Solo.
Last Jedi wandering the desert and galaxy alone, awaiting "The New Hope" to come of age.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
5/10: Reported it is now in pre-production at Pinewood Studios. Ancillary work is also being carried out at Industrial Light & Magic in London. Both are using a number of concept artists, prop modellers, and storyboard artists. Contracts have also been extended to a number of crew who have worked on various Star Wars films produced at Pinewood under the Disney era and will join the production when their work on Episode IX ends. It is scheduled to move onto stages in mid-January 2019 with principle to begin in April 2019. It is tentatively set for release in December 2020.

5/17: TMZ reports from Production Weekly, Stephen Daldry still listed as director and the plot details were:
Obi-Wan is on Tatooine being an elusive hermit and stuff, but secretly watches over an infant Luke Skywalker, whom he delivered to his uncle, Owen. Tensions between the local farmers and a tribe of Sand People — headed by a ruthless war chief — eventually brings Obi outta hiding … and into Jedi kickass mode. Scene.

the greenman

My biggest question after Last Jedi will Qui Gon show up to train Obi-Wan in Force Ghost training. That is very mysterious still. Remember Obi-Wan said in New Hope, "If you strike me down, I will be more powerful."

the greenman

I think it's pretty much confirmed by not showing up to the 40th anniversary. They're probably waiting until after Solo's theatrical run for official announcement. Celebration is in April, so we might get it there too.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
My biggest question after Last Jedi will Qui Gon show up to train Obi-Wan in Force Ghost training. That is very mysterious still. Remember Obi-Wan said in New Hope, "If you strike me down, I will be more powerful."
Hm, interesting. I was under the impression Yoda was communicating with Obi-Wan telepathically and taught him the Force Ghost between III and IV.

Is MacGregor in or out?
He always said he's game to reprise the role. The question is do Kennedy and co. want him back or do they want to recast, imo.

the greenman

I seem to recall Yoda telling Obi-Wan in Ep 3, he had training yet to do on Tatooine, from an old friend.

If that aforementioned synopsis is correct, I highly doubt they would recast now. MacGregor is just about old enough (and young enough) to actually begin a trilogy if they want. Alec Guinness was older than MacGregor, but that works out. He's still young enough to do some stunts and stuff.

the greenman

Hm, interesting. I was under the impression Yoda was communicating with Obi-Wan telepathically and taught him the Force Ghost between III and IV.

It was bugging me, so I will post the correct dialogue:

Yoda- In your solitude on Tattooine, training I have for you.

Obi-Wan- Training?

Yoda- An old friend has learned the path to immortality. One who has returned from the netherworld of the Force. Your old master.

Obi-Wan- Qui-Gon?

Yoda- How to commune with him I will teach you.

So, as I assumed both Yoda and Qui-Gon were instrumental in training Obi-Wan in the ways of being a Force Ghost. Something I haven't read about in my years of reading up on Star Wars.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It was bugging me, so I will post the correct dialogue:

So, as I assumed both Yoda and Qui-Gon were instrumental in training Obi-Wan in the ways of being a Force Ghost. Something I haven't read about in my years of reading up on Star Wars.
Thanks for the correction, I misremembered that scene. Meant to rewatch it a few months ago when TBS was doing a marathon.

the greenman

Thanks for the correction, I misremembered that scene. Meant to rewatch it a few months ago when TBS was doing a marathon.
Oh I don't think you were completely wrong. As we really don't know exactly how this training was conducted. Was Luke ever trained in Episodes 4 through 6? No. So, IMHO, I feel like there's gonna be some retconning. I'm excited to see if they give us both Yoda and Qui-Gon in this film.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts