Now that Disney is absorbing Fox Studios, when will they make another X-Men cartoon and what should it be about?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I don't really think having a "YouTube Poop" is a sign of how popular or good a show is.

That said, keep in mind this topic is about what you'd like to see in a new X-Men animated series, not debating the popularity of the older shows.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Makes you kind of wondre what era or design style they'd base a modern X-Men cartoon off of...I guess the same could probably be said for the FF :ack:.
With the FF, Marvel always seems to cycle back on the original blue and black. It's so simple but it does work.

With the X-Men, I wouldn't be mad if they picked and pulled what they considered the most iconic character looks from different eras. I don't think you could go wrong with the Cockrum Nightcrawler, or Jim Lee's Cyclops, Rogue or Gambit. I love to see Storm with a cape and tiara. My favorite Wolverine is tan and brown, and I actually like that Bendis got them to use it for his most recent cartoon appearances. I do love the original yellow and blue costume especially when it contrasts with a version of Cyclops' blue and yellow.

Anyway, those are just what I like but I do think they should blend the best things together.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I didn't really think much of how the X-Men might look when/if they receive another show. There are relatively few designs from the comics I wasn't really fond of. It would be nice to see some kind of updates to their outfits that still stay somewhat true to their looks from the comics. Sort of how X-Men: Evolution did. The orange Wolverine costume from that show is one of my favorites, I thought it looked pretty cool.

The recent appearances of Wolverine brought back his classic costume, but I wouldn't mind seeing something like Ultimate Wolverine animated again. There's really not much else to do with his costume at this point, or at least I can't think of anything.

I also kind of liked the modernized F4 uniforms from World's Greatest Heroes. But I imagine they would use something visually different for a potential new show.

Come to think of it, both the X-Men and the F4 have been pretty lucky in regards to how their uniforms have been depicted in cartoons. Even the new stuff introduced in shows like the ones I mentioned before, looked pretty great. Of course there are other things to consider, like animation quality, writing, etc. but I digress. :p

The Overlord

You're joking, right? Wolverine and the X-Men is literally the best Marvel animated series. Why would Marvel be ashamed of it?

Maybe Disney wants to bury ''Wolverine and the X-Men'' because of it aired Nicktoons, which is owned by one of their rivals?

Anyway, I think if Disney brings back X-Men TAS, it shouldn 't be as a TV show for kids, why would they care about a TV show that ended over 20 years ago, just make a new X-Men cartoon at that point. What they could do, is make an X-Men TAS DTV, have to be set in 1997, keep the animation style (though bump it up with a bigger budget), bring back some of the Toronto based actors, bring elements from the X-Men not seen in the TAS cartoon (maybe stuff from the Claremont era that was too dark for Sat morning, like true to the comics William Stryker or some new stuff from say the Grant Morrison era, like Cassandra Nova destroying Genosha) and give it a PG-13 rating.

Now, this would be nostalgia pandering to an extent, but heck DC is doing that with PG-13 DTVS in the DCUA style and heck that is most of the Hollywood output anyway.

I am not saying they should do this, but this would make more sense than trying to revive X-Men TAS as a TV show aimed at kids today.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Maybe Disney wants to bury ''Wolverine and the X-Men'' because of it aired Nicktoons, which is owned by one of their rivals?

Anyway, I think if Disney brings back X-Men TAS, it shouldn 't be as a TV show for kids, why would they care about a TV show that ended over 20 years ago, just make a new X-Men cartoon at that point. What they could do, is make an X-Men TAS DTV, have to be set in 1997, keep the animation style (though bump it up with a bigger budget), bring back some of the Toronto based actors, bring elements from the X-Men not seen in the TAS cartoon (maybe stuff from the Claremont era that was too dark for Sat morning, like true to the comics William Stryker or some new stuff from say the Grant Morrison era, like Cassandra Nova destroying Genosha) and give it a PG-13 rating.

Now, this would be nostalgia pandering to an extent, but heck DC is doing that with PG-13 DTVS in the DCUA style and heck that is most of the Hollywood output anyway.

I am not saying they should do this, but this would make more sense than trying to revive X-Men TAS as a TV show aimed at kids today.
I am perfectly fine with Marvel Animation aimed at older audiences but I also think it's high time we got something X-Men related that kids and all age audiences can sink their teeth into.

That's also not to say I want an X-Men cartoon that talks down to it's audience. Far from it.

The Overlord

I am perfectly fine with Marvel Animation aimed at older audiences but I also think it's high time we got something X-Men related that kids and all age audiences can sink their teeth into.

That's also not to say I want an X-Men cartoon that talks down to it's audience. Far from it.

Sure, but what I am saying if you wanted an X-Men series that appeals to kids today, you have to make something new, to try to use X-Men TAS (or Evolution or Wolverine and the X-Men for that matter) to appeal to kids today, considering that cartoon ended over 20 years ago, does not make sense.

At this point, an X-Men TAS revival would succeed more being aimed towards older fans than to kids, IMO.

You also have things aimed at different audiences, aim a new X-Men cartoon at kids, aim this X-Men TAS reboot at older fans.

I am not saying this to say kids shouldn't have an X-Men cartoon, I am saying this to say an X-Men TAS revival would hold no appeal to kids today.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Except Nicktoons just aired it, they didn't own it. Plenty of shows currently owned by Disney didn't air on networks owned by Disney.

As for PG-13 X-Men: TAS movies, if that were the case, I'd rather the continuity just not come back at all.

The Overlord

Except Nicktoons just aired it, they didn't own it. Plenty of shows currently owned by Disney didn't air on networks owned by Disney.

As for PG-13 X-Men: TAS movies, if that were the case, I'd rather the continuity just not come back at all.

Except I do not think Wolverine and the X-Men has the same nostalgia appeal that X-Men TAS did, even though Wolverine and the X-Men had more hanging plot threads then X-Men TAS (which when you think about it, wrapped up almost everything, they seemed to struggle for new ideas by season 5.) The problem with Wolverine and the X-Men is it only lasted one season and was on an obscure channel, so it did have the reach or recognition TAS or Evolution had.

I am not saying that they should bring back X-Men TAS as PG-13 DTVs, I am saying that would make more sense than trying to bring back a cartoon that ended over 20 years ago and try to make it appeal to kids today.

The most obvious thing is to just make a new X-Men cartoon for kids and if Disney wanted to make new PG-13 DTVS for older fans, I would like it, but I would be fine if they didn't do that.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I love the idea of revisiting old shows as DTVs. It's kind of been on my mind since Spectacular Spider-Man and Earth's Mightiest ended. I don't think any Marvel series ever had a original movie tie-in. I think we've seen some pretty good movies in this vein, and I think it would be a cool throwback treat to the fans if it's done right.

If Sony wanted to revisit Spectacular, or Marvel wanted to revisit X-Men TAS, Evolution or EMH, I'd be happy to watch. A well written TAS or Evolution movie with some studio like Madhouse overseeing the animation could be a pretty sweet deal.

If there was the off chance that they wanted to build a series off of an existing show (highly unlikely), Wolverine and the X-Men would be my pick since it was the most recent, set up a big and interesting Marvel world, and still had a lot of potential material to be explored and developed. I believe that the eventual X-Men series we see will be based on how they intend to approach the property in the MCU though and WATX took cues from the Fox series, so while it may still be fertile ground, I don't see it happening.

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder what is the likelihood that they would make future X-Men/FF cartoons set in the quasi-animated continuity of the Loeb/Wacker era...so Robbie Daymond's Spider-Man could guest star, the Avengers Assemble characters could guest star, etc.

I mean, Fred Tatasciore would probably still be Hulk for his quintessential guest spot, but that's a given :p.

I mean, I guess they're kind of continuing it with Marvel Rising and Marvel's Spider-Man is still going on, but I question whether there's a need to tether future cartoons to versions of characters or continuities that have already ended.

SweetShop209

If he were to get involved, it would have to be during some sort of downtime, much like how Genndy Tartakovsky did Samurai Jack season 5 in between the 2nd and 3rd Hotel Transylvania movies.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It would be very awesome if Joaquicim Dos Santos was involved a with a new X-Men animated series. I think he is very interested in that by giving us his own re-imagining of the 90's series.

Joaquim and Genndy were two guys I always wanted to see involved with Marvel cartoons in some way. A Genndy led AEMH spin-off series would have been a dream scenario for me.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I think the Marvel cartoons in general could benefit from more...I don't know if "visionary" is the right word for it, but some animation directors or showrunners who really know what they're doing and have helped elevate their craft.

I don't feel like we've really had that since EMH. I think Panther's Quest was trying for something like that and Guardians was probably the closest to feeling that way but both were held back by the standards of Marvel Animation.

bigdaddy313

Man I can already see in my head his own take on a Marvel property, great story direction, well thought written characters and the most beautifully stunning Marvel animated series.

I know it won't be with Studio Mir cause they are trying to get independent while being distributed by the a partner. So I guess the next best thing would be Moi Animation Studio who he has worked with before I think.

RoryWilliams

I'd love to see him, but they'd have to pony up the budget to make that happen. As Frontier alluded to, it was clear they were trying to do something a little more distinctive and mature with Panther's Quest, but the lack of money was obvious in every frame.

They need to take off the handcuffs and give these showrunners some actual dough to work with.

Frontier

Staff member
This new Marvel promotional image feels somewhat relevant:

EBIlKl6WwAEewM6

This is a Marvel promotional poster using the promotional art designs for various Marvel heroes, and these are usually used somewhat as a basis for their cartoon looks. You can now see Cyclops, Storm, Scarlet Witch, and Wolverine on the poster.

Of note, Cyclops and Storm are wearing new costumes that I've never seen them wear before.

I mean, this doesn't guarantee a cartoon is in the works, since we've got the Runaways, Phil Coulson, Daredevil, Luke Cage, Korg, Spider-Ham, etc. in it, but I felt it noticeable.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts