"Kite Man: Hell Yeah!" ("Harley Quinn" Spin-Off) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A spin-off series from HBO Max's Harley Quinn animated series, "Noonan's", is in the works.
According to Schumacker, "Noonan's" will follow Kite Man as he buys Noonan's Bar, an infamous hangout spot for hitman and henchmen of Gotham that first appeared on "The Demon Annual" in 1993 and is named after hitman Sean Noonan. "He tries to run the bar by himself but it doesn't turn out so easy," Schumacker revealed. "We have Harley and Ivy appear in the first episode, but after that we have with different goons and villains appearing every episode like Lex Luthor and Bane. It will be kind of like 'Cheers' for supervillains."
Though further details are scarce, this sounds incredibly exciting. The "Harley Quinn" TV show is one of the most fun and fresh things DC has done in movies or TV in years — it's a hilarious show with a lot of heart and tons of violence. Likewise, the show reinvents many iconic DC characters — like an alcoholic Gordon, or Bane the life coach. The idea of a "Cheers"-like show with the DC villains is a winning concept, the kind of idea that's so good it is baffling it hasn't been made before. Imagine Bane, Scarecrow, and Lex Luthor just going down to the bar on a Friday evening and lamenting their latest failure at the hands of a superhero.

Comments?

Related threads:

"Harley Quinn (DC Universe)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 1 (Spoilers)
"Harley Quinn (HBO Max)" Animated Series News & Discussion, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I don't think anyone saw this coming o_O.

I'm really not sure how I feel about this...I mean, I like the HQ version of Kite-Man, a villain bar sounds like a fun premise that can have an eclectic rotating cast, but...do we really need a cartoon of this? I'm just not sure if there's the audience for this outside HQ fans :confused:.

And I'm sure some people will look at them putting resources into this and asking why WB still hasn't released a Wonder Woman cartoon or anything that isn't Bat or Gotahm-inspired :sweat:.

EmaHalJordan

I have no interest in this, if I said I want a series of characters that I love like Atom, Hawkman, or Firestorm surely everyone would tell me that's impossible!
And we're talking about heroes top 20 in DC!
But I see this news and say ¿kite man? Really? We are in a crazy world.
We couldn't have a Green Lantern/Green Arrow animated movie but they give us KiteMan!!! What a disappointment.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
This could probably also work as a series of shorts instead of a full show. Just episodic stuff with Kite-Man serving various other villains and listening to their troubles. It would pretty fun I guess. But it is surreal to think they're even considering a Kite-Man cartoon, granted it wouldn't really be aimed at kids but he'd still get a lot more exposure.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
This could probably also work as a series of shorts instead of a full show. Just episodic stuff with Kite-Man serving various other villains and listening to their troubles. It would pretty fun I guess. But it is surreal to think they're even considering a Kite-Man cartoon, granted it wouldn't really be aimed at kids but he'd still get a lot more exposure.
Agreed, same like how past television series got shorts like Batman Unlimited, Justice League Action, and DC Super Hero Girls. They could release them on HBO Max's YouTube channel.

khuddle

Looks like "Kiteman" from HQ:TAS is getting his own spin-off. Not sure about this one.
If DC Animated wanted to create a humorous show I think there are better candidates, like
Booster Gold or Plasticman.

Road to Gotham

I love the concept.
Kite-Man has been a well written character on HQ.
Wonder if the show runners saw B:TB&TB and their villains bar scenes?

1647632468104.png

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah, I think a villain bar series of shorts would probably be more justified than basing a full, 22-minute, cartoon based around Kite Man running a bar o_O.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
HBO Max ordered a 10 episodes long season for the show. Matt Oberg will return to voice Kite-Man.
The show is executive produced by “Harley Quinn” co-creators Justin Halpern, Patrick Schumacker, and Dean Lorey, as well as “Harley Quinn” star Kaley Cuoco via Yes, Norman Productions. Sam Register also executive produces. Lorey will serve as showrunner on “Noonan’s.” Schumacker and Halpern executive produce under their Delicious Non-Sequitur banner. The show is based on characters from DC and produced by Warner Bros. Animation. Halpern, Schumacker, and Cuoco are all under overall deals at WBTV.

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member

Frontier

Staff member
HBO Max sure seems to like their 10-episode orders.

I remember they were talking about using Golden Glider as Kite Man's new girlfriend. I wonder if they were going to add her to season three of Harley Quinn or if they were planning the spin-off that long ago.
I hope Captain Cold and The Rogues show up. We have Scott Porter as The Flash so maybe we could get something going there :).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts