No San Diego Comic-Con For 2020!

Latest News & Videos

dth1971

Banned
Sep 19, 2003
Inverness, IL
Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a recent announcment that the July 2020 San Diego Comic-Con won't take place this year. This is the first time in its 50 year history the SDCC has been canceled, but the SDCC plans to return in July 2021.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
I think based on recent statements by governor's office, 2021 might be a question mark as well. I think they do have to consider putting Comic-Con in another location at the very least. The outgrew San Diego and the SD Convention Center a long time ago. WWE should also be looking at a Plan B, C, and D options for WrestleMania 37.

Honestly, I was more hurt about CinemaCon cancellation this year than Comic-Con.

I think though, you can do some virtual panels and online announcements this year. Funko did some virtual stuff for C2E2, so I imagine they will follow suit here as well.

Reactions: SweetShop209

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
It's easy. Move ComicCon to Los Angeles. There's plenty of large venues in the area.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
If we move SDCC to LA, I'd prefer it be at SoFi Stadium. There's no better place to hold something like this than an indoor football stadium.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
It's easy. Move ComicCon to Los Angeles. There's plenty of large venues in the area.
That isn't a viable solution. A larger venue wouldn't negate the health risks involved in holding a huge convention where thousands of people gather from across the country. It may be awhile before cons, especially huge ones like Comic-Con, can function like usual again.

ComicCon is an in-person event. A virtual version is the same thing as not holding it.
I don't know about that. While it won't have the same kind of excitement as people being able to go there in person, it still provides a venue for new stuff to potentially be announced and it might give people something to look forward to as well.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
That isn't a viable solution. A larger venue wouldn't negate the health risks involved in holding a huge convention where thousands of people gather from across the country. It may be awhile before cons, especially huge ones like Comic-Con, can function like usual again.
I didn't say move it this year. I meant in the future. I was replying to the person who said CC has outgrown SD.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
Well, it is true that CC has become too big for San Diego to handle. It, like the Chargers before them, will eventually move to LA.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
www.411mania.com
SDCC has indeed outgrown San Diego, and San Diego has failed to adequately fix the issue. CCI hasn't done much to fix it either.

As for the virtual stuff, it's making the best out of a bad situation. Other conventions will have virtual access or events. I think it's a way to do something for the fans. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The winner for this Media Brackets competition is Phineas And Ferb: Star Wars, which got 4 votes. Quack Pack got 1 vote. Thanks to everyone for participating. The article is next week.

So, this is fitting. Also, why does this meme only go until September?

Here are the most notable South Asian voices.
The 2015 Fantastic Four film was released 5 years ago today.
Kitschensyngk wrote on Harley's profile.
Who do I contact over at Popgeeks about server problems? I've having difficulties accessing the server to update my website.