No Peanuts Specials on ABC this year (UPDATE: Picked up by PBS)

wiley207

Well, the word has gotten out: ABC is NOT airing "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" this year. I would assume the COVID-19 pandemic had a part to play, but I also know that ABC's contract to air the Peanuts specials was set to expire some time in 2020. Perhaps it has already expired and they don't want to renew it, since they don't show as much interest in the Peanuts anymore as they used to, since Peanuts isn't a Disney property and especially now that DHX/Wildbrain co-owns the Peanuts with the Schulz family. This became especially evident when Pixar came out with "Toy Story of Terror," and ABC, being a Disney company as well, loved it so much that they kicked "Scared Shrekless" (the special that used to be paired with the edited "Great Pumpkin" special) off the network to make room for it, and would often promote TSOT way more while barely mentioning the "Great Pumpkin" special. Oh, the "Great Pumpkin" would air a second time, uncut and paired with an edited version of "You're Not Elected, Charlie Brown," but ABC would just stick it on a random night in a random timeslot where nothing new is scheduled on their network (more often than not pitted against a football or World Series game or some other big TV event.) They didn't even do anything for the 50th anniversary in 2016!
We can probably expect no Peanuts showings on network TV for the rest of the year due to the pandemic, but hopefully next year another network will pick up the Peanuts specials, like possibly start airing on FOX (since they had also shown "Happiness is a Warm Blanket, Charlie Brown"), or maybe they could even go back to CBS!

Any thoughts/comments?

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
I tried to tell my mom that ABC probably won't air it this year, but as soon as I said it, she went into denial.
This became especially evident when Pixar came out with "Toy Story of Terror," and ABC, being a Disney company as well, loved it so much that they kicked "Scared Shrekless" (the special that used to be paired with the edited "Great Pumpkin" special)
Didn't Scared Shrekless premiere on NBC?

wiley207

I tried to tell my mom that ABC probably won't air it this year, but as soon as I said it, she went into denial.

Didn't Scared Shrekless premiere on NBC?

Yes, but in 2011 it moved to ABC, since that was where "Shrek the Halls" was airing every year, and still does. But it was only for a couple years, since ABC gave "Scared Shrekless" the boot in 2013 to make room for "Toy Story of Terror."

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
So....is this the first time in 50 years that "Great Pumpkin" hasn't aired on network TV? I think it looked like they weren't going to air it last year, but they did at the last moment.

And no, I don't think Covid-19 played a role in the decision.

I remember the first year "Toy Story of Terror" aired. So "Scared Shrekless" hasn't aired on network TV since 2012? What about the "Monsters Vs. Aliens" Halloween special? When was the last time that aired on network TV? Seems like it's a new decade, and it may be about time to move on past "Toy Story of Terror"....but with "Toy Story 4" coming out last year, they can probably milk it for a few more years...

wiley207

So....is this the first time in 50 years that "Great Pumpkin" hasn't aired on network TV? I think it looked like they weren't going to air it last year, but they did at the last moment.

And no, I don't think Covid-19 played a role in the decision.

I remember the first year "Toy Story of Terror" aired. So "Scared Shrekless" hasn't aired on network TV since 2012? What about the "Monsters Vs. Aliens" Halloween special? When was the last time that aired on network TV? Seems like it's a new decade, and it may be about time to move on past "Toy Story of Terror"....but with "Toy Story 4" coming out last year, they can probably milk it for a few more years...

I heard the "Great Pumpkin" did not air in 1975 and 1976, as CBS instead chose to air "You're a Good Sport, Charlie Brown" in its' place.
And yeah, "Scared Shrekless" hasn't been on network TV since it last aired on ABC in 2012. As for the "Monsters vs. Aliens" Halloween special, that always stayed on NBC, but hasn't aired for several years now. And also regarding "Toy Story of Terror," I could definitely see ABC commissioning Disney and Pixar to make some new TV specials to fill the gaps left by the Peanuts specials. I could see a "Monsters Inc." Halloween special being made (and maybe actually be about Halloween, unlike "Toy Story of Terror" and its' summer vacation plot), or an "Inside Out" Valentine's Day special and a "Wreck-It Ralph" Christmas special... there are quite a few possibilities.

powerjake

The truth is that channels can be mean spirited and not care about any cartoon specials and do not even bother to air them again.

Besides, websites that have lots of cartoons or streaming services are better than those generic TV channels.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
ABC better not do the same thing with A Charlie Brown Christmas, as that is a major staple of the Christmas season.

Agreed. I like my traditions, and I always want to have the 1950's "The Ten Commandments" air on broadcast TV on Easter weekend, and "The Great Pumpkin" airing in October, and the original "Rudolf", "Frosty" "Grinch" and Peanuts Christmas specials airing in late November/early to mid December. That's what I want to see consistently on broadcast TV each year.

EDIT: I also personally like to watch the original "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" in November, as I think it's a "Thanksgiving" (giving thanks) movie, but that's just me personally. And I also like watching the original "Home Alone" in December, but we're getting into films that are not consecutively on broadcast TV each year.

Last edited:

powerjake

Agreed. I like my traditions, and I always want to have the 1950's "The Ten Commandments" air on broadcast TV on Easter weekend, and "The Great Pumpkin" airing in October, and the original "Rudolf", "Frosty" "Grinch" and Peanuts Christmas specials airing in late November/early to mid December. That's what I want to see consistently on broadcast TV each year.

EDIT: I also personally like to watch the original "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" in November, as I think it's a "Thanksgiving" (giving thanks) movie, but that's just me personally. And I also like watching the original "Home Alone" in December, but we're getting into films that are not consecutively on broadcast TV each year.

You cannot trust channels as it can be very random, on the internet you can pick and choose the holiday specials you want unlike the unfair channels that prefer to doublecross the viewers.

wiley207

ABC better not do the same thing with A Charlie Brown Christmas, as that is a major staple of the Christmas season.

I think I found another reason why we're not getting any showings of the Great Pumpkin this year...

Perhaps they want to exclusively stream them on Apple TV? That's not really a bright idea, IMO, as we know how notoriously expensive Apple can be with their stuff. If the Schulz family and Wildbrain are smart, they'd let CBS also run the Peanuts specials so they can still show on broadcast, and hopefully do so in time for the holiday season so we can at least still get "A Charlie Brown Christmas" airing on broadcast TV...

TheCartoonRailfan

Riding the Rails
I'm pretty shocked to see this happening. If CBS or FOX won't air the series, I'm sure that Nickelodeon and Disney won't be airing the special.

Perhaps Cartoon Network should air the special since they aired a few Peanuts specials and movies during the 90's and 2000's. Even the chances of that happening are low due to Apple TV.

LinusFan303

A fan of Peanuts in their 70th year
I think I found another reason why we're not getting any showings of the Great Pumpkin this year...

Perhaps they want to exclusively stream them on Apple TV? That's not really a bright idea, IMO, as we know how notoriously expensive Apple can be with their stuff. If the Schulz family and Wildbrain are smart, they'd let CBS also run the Peanuts specials so they can still show on broadcast, and hopefully do so in time for the holiday season so we can at least still get "A Charlie Brown Christmas" airing on broadcast TV...
Completely separate contracts, when the Apple specials were announced, it's completely separate from the holiday special rights. All Peanuts rights are split up.

ABC looks like they are aren't airing any Halloween specials this year at all minus an episode of "Supermarket Sweet" and "The Connors". To be reasonable, ABC's schedule was thrown out of whack by basketball, and politics stuff... (debates and town hall) at the same time, they could have bumped Shark Tank on the 30th for this special and the "You're Not Elected" special so they are not complete off the hook.

I do hope this is the last year of ABC and Peanuts, (meaning ABC doesn't renew their contract at the end of the year and another network takes it) I've grown tired of ABC's way of airing them , like airing them on nights against football games (to screw with the ratings), skipping the Easter special, the only good thing is they at least didn't edit the specials or when they did, they aired them un-edited later on that same month.( Or aired Great Pumpkin un edited and You're not elected edited instead.)

Other wise, it's time for ABC and Peanuts to part ways, Hopefully Fox or NBC, maybe CBS, pick it up , (maybe the CW but that'd be weird) it might be a renewal of Peanuts specials caring like when AMC picked up the Rankin Bass specials that Freeform/ABCFamily used to air and airs the ones Freeform/Family stopped caring about.

Spacething7474

Little Deviants is NINE years old now!?!
Minnesota. Or maybe Wisconsin. Or maybe Iowa.
Hoping that A Charlie Brown Christmas will air to fulfill the prophecy.
A5386431-ADC0-4EB4-AC7B-40C6F3B56E00.jpeg

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I wish a happy 50th birthday to Yuri Lowenthal. He's known for characters like Ben Tennyson (specifically as a teenager) from the Ben 10 franchise, Superman in Legion Of Superheroes, and Spiderman in the Superhero Squad Show online game and Spiderman PS4.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Version of Twilight Princess was released in North America. I wouldn't be surprised if it was brought over to the Switch as early as this year.
I'm really not sure how I feel about Paramount+.
So there's this magical fantasy land and all the people lived together in peace. But now they're all divided, until one heroine sets out to bring everyone together. What movie am I talking about?
youtube nickelodeon now streaming live: SpongeBob episodes , youtube NickRewind currently streaming iCarly iKiss and iThink They Kissed episodes,

Featured Posts