Nintendo Reveals Switch Lite

Peter Paltridge

RUN!
Staff member
Is Nintendo working on a smaller, more low-priced version of its hit console/handheld hybrid, the Switch? That’s what everybody has figured for months now, but despite all the insider analyst reports declaring it was definite, Nintendo has never admitted the project. Until today.
On September 20 Nintendo will begin selling the Switch Lite, which has the same guts as its older brother but in a more compact shell, with three designer colors to choose from. It has a smaller 5.5-inch screen, and since it has less to power up, the battery life is longer (up to seven hours, theoretically). Wifi, Bluetooth and NFC (for amiibos) are all supported in the Switch Lite.
It sounds convenient, but are there some downgrades? The short answer is yes, the longer response is….also yes. It CAN’T connect to a TV, which will be a dealbreaker for some people. The controllers do not detach, HD Rumble has been taken...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

SNS

Hopefully the smaller size will make it less of a hassle to carry around but I doubt it will ever be as portable as any of the DS or 3DS systems without the clamshell design. That both saves space and protects the screen.

I tried to preorder it anyway since I could use a second Switch but GameStop still doesn't have preorders for the system set up for whatever reason (even though both the price and release date have been known since the announcement and they have had preorders set up in the past with far less info).

The only real advantage seems to be the addition of an actual d-pad. You have to buy a controller for any game that can't be played handheld mode. It can't be connected to a tv, making the Switch's name and main gimmick obsolete. HD rumble and motion controls were nixed and the internal storage is the same measly 32gb. It's smaller but still too big to fit in most pants pockets. Also, Nintendo will introduce longer lasting batteries in the production of new standard switch models.

I'll wait until next year to see what the "Pro" model has to offer.

I usually don't believe rumors but The Wall Street Journal and that gaming analyst who predicted the Switch Lite are credible enough sources for me. Price, name, release window, features and lack thereof. Everything they said about the LIte was right on the money. Plans often change with companies but I wouldn't be surprised if all the Pro speculation turned out to be true.

Mandouga

So, in other words, "they were right before, so Nintendo must be making a Switch Pro". Long story short, rumors are rumors, no matter how believable they might sound. Any official announcement made afterwards is just a coincidence. Simply put, until Nintendo makes an official annoucement, anything else is just rumor and speculation that must be assumed to not be true.

In other words, there is no Switch Pro in development until Nintendo makes an official announcement that there is/will be.

Eh, if you don't want to believe a Switch Pro is being made that's your prerogative, but the rumors for the Lite didn't come out of thin air. The companies that manufacture the Switch's internal components and accessories leaked the information. When asked about the rumors directly Nintendo admitted they were working on new hardware but the reason they couldn't go into detail is due to the effect it would have on shareholder profits and consumer interest. The president of Nintendo of America himself didn't even deny they were making an upgraded Switch model. He just said don't expect it to come out in 2019 and to look forward to the LIte in the meantime.

In an attempt to not derail this thread with too much Pro talk here's a list of games that can't be played on the Switch Lite without the use of a joy-con: Super Mario Party, Fitness Boxing, Just Dance, and 1-2 Switch. Labo and Labo VR won't work at all even if you have joy-cons. There's also about two dozen titles that require the use of motion controls during certain sections of gameplay so I'm not sure how the Lite will circumvent that issue.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts