Nikki Reed Becomes The Hub's Senior VP Programming & Development, Focusing on Live-Action Series

Latest News & Videos

Sketch

not like those other old guys
Feb 26, 2002
Washington
Disney exec goes to The Hub? I don't like the sound of that. The list of shows mentioned there makes me all the more concerned what she's going to push.

King_of_doom

kiva fan
May 23, 2005
Agreed, not liking where this is going but she only gonna focus on live action shows so as long doesn't mess with the Hub regular live action shows it's fine by me.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
Disney exec goes to The Hub? I don't like the sound of that. The list of shows mentioned there makes me all the more concerned what she's going to push.
Yeah - this stinks of "inevitable harbinger for an actually decent channel" to me as well, considering all the "should-have-been-left-on-the-cutting-room-floor-nonsense" coming out of Disney (and Nick) as of late that isn't animated in the slightest...

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
I'm also worried about this, especially with the press release's mention of "more live-action shows". I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going to be happy if she (to put it bluntly) decides to "spam" The Hub with the same type of generic "original" sitcoms that have been..."overabundant" let's say, at her previous network (among other types of "generic" shows), or otherwise decides to turn it into her vision of what a family network should be like...

Monte

Jul 13, 2009
Long island
www.MonteCreations.com
I'm also worried about this, especially with the press release's mention of "more live-action shows". I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going to be happy if she (to put it bluntly) decides to "spam" The Hub with the same type of generic "original" sitcoms that have been..."overabundant" let's say, at her previous network (among other types of "generic" shows), or otherwise decides to turn it into her vision of what a family network should be like...
I wouldn't be TOO worried about it. One thing to remember is that The Hub is a venture by Hasbro which is primarily a toy company; as such they will always to make they keep plenty of room for the kinds of shows that they can make toys off of, such as animated shows like MLP, Transformers, pound puppies and so on; great rating probably don't mean too much for them if its not also driving toy sales. Those live action sitcoms are good rating grabbers, but not really much worth when it comes to making toys. If i had to guess i would say that the hub is still wanting more viewers and thus is trying to find some more rating grabbers to increase their audience, but they are unlikely to alienate the current audience since they are still dedicated to toys. Though a whole bunch of sitcoms would be terrible for a good network, a couple won't be that bad...

However, i might be worried about the mentality she might approach certain shows... Like if she for instance if she happens to be the type of a person overly concerned with keeping thing "family friendly" and thus would not approve of a more serious action show like Transformers Prime. Now THAT can be a worrisome chilling effect

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
She better understand what you're getting at, Monte - otherwise this channel is in some trouble already - and it's only been 3 years, so that is not acceptable if she ruins this channel just to further spread the disease that is the overly-generic kidcom...

Sparkster24

Feb 14, 2009
I'm honestly scared on the direction this is going so far.. and this is by the same person who had these shows that we're just mentioned! Unless it's not the sitcom matter, then it's fine by me... Because the channel itself is meant to give the appeal of not only just "kids", but for "adults" as well giving a stronger, and much good feel to both the past and the current generation of people.

Seeing this happening just makes me feel unsure what this is going now that this is happening.. :(

barcncpt44

Road, Weather, News Junkie Geek
Feb 23, 2013
Anniston, AL
geekalabama.com
I am thinking this might be a move to develop original series for The Hub on primetime. Primetime on The Hub is lack-luster already so maybe they could develop shows similar to See Dad Run or Good Luck Charlie. If this is going to bring in new kidcom's; it will not be good.

langden alger

Jul 12, 2001
PA
Visit site
Figured it was onyl a matter of time.....this channel was close to perfect imo. It has been my stand-by channel for years since I rarely have to change the channel away from The Hub because somethings coming on that I don't like. And that's been extrenely rare for me for long time....It's only been shows like Kijudo rose of the duel masters or Family game night that have tuned me out.

I hope we don't have to start sitting through music videos of teen wannabe pop stars during the breaks on The Hub now too.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
I wouldn't be TOO worried about it. One thing to remember is that The Hub is a venture by Hasbro which is primarily a toy company; as such they will always to make they keep plenty of room for the kinds of shows that they can make toys off of, such as animated shows like MLP, Transformers, pound puppies and so on; great rating probably don't mean too much for them if its not also driving toy sales. Those live action sitcoms are good rating grabbers, but not really much worth when it comes to making toys. If i had to guess i would say that the hub is still wanting more viewers and thus is trying to find some more rating grabbers to increase their audience, but they are unlikely to alienate the current audience since they are still dedicated to toys. Though a whole bunch of sitcoms would be terrible for a good network, a couple won't be that bad...
We can't really be too sure though, especially with how MLP:FiM was written (long story). Also, "a couple", you say? Oh sure, then after that there's a couple more, then a couple more after that, then a couple more after that, etc, etc, etc, until the network starts becoming less about the wide variety of shows this network needs, and more about one kind of show, which I sincerely hope doesn't happen.

However, i might be worried about the mentality she might approach certain shows... Like if she for instance if she happens to be the type of a person overly concerned with keeping thing "family friendly" and thus would not approve of a more serious action show like Transformers Prime. Now THAT can be a worrisome chilling effect
Now, wait a minute. The Hub already is family friendly; we all know this. That's why it's "a network for kids and their families". This also includes shows like Transformers: Prime, which does have fighting, obviously, and other forms of action, as well as drama (which could ultimately be the show's undoing, but that's for the Transformers: Prime thread), but it's still family friendly for the most part. I will say this: it is my hope that she doesn't turn it into one of those "family" networks that's only convenient for the parents (which I honestly don't think The Hub is, nor does it need to be). For this reason:

I am thinking this might be a move to develop original series for The Hub on primetime. Primetime on The Hub is lack-luster already so maybe they could develop shows similar to See Dad Run or Good Luck Charlie.
As I said in another thread, if they were to do that, it would open the door to the network becoming more like ABC Family (indeed, "See Dad Run" is more of a Nick at Nite show then a Nickelodeon one). I still don't want that to happen either.

Sparkster24

Feb 14, 2009
This makes me question on whatever happened to "Spooksville"? That's supposed to be a live-action show with the spooky elements, but yet we haven't even heard anything on it since last year with the Upfront!

I just hope it's not one of her ridiculous plans for a weak sitcom (or kidcom per say) plan, or something. I just feel it wouldn't be worth it, at least try to give some mix with the properties from Hasbro that would be nice to see, or even have some original elements that at least would given a better appeal, also being true to the channel's roots. i don't mind change, but not a change that would effect the channel, and how it's meant to potray like i said ago! But for now, i'm just not giving some trust on this.

soundmonkey44

Melancholic Man.
Oct 5, 2008
The U.S.A.
I just hope Ms. Reed doesn't ruin the HUB by turing it into another Disney Channel clone, that would be TRULY horrid, and that the addition of more live action doesn't cause animation to be phased out! HUB has spent 3 years building something good, and I fear this person may undo all that, I pray that I am wrong! *knock on wood*

Sparkster24

Feb 14, 2009
I just hope Margert L. is knowing what she is doing when it comes to the situation, knowing this is the same person who isn't well on the live-action development for Disney Channel/Disney XD. I don't mind live-action, but as long it's not being generic "kidcoms" or "sitcoms" for the line-up. Plus, there are some original live-action shows.. "The Aquabats Super Show", "R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour", and even the acquired ones are live-action. I don't think it needs alot more! Just let the channel hold it's share... and don't spare out only for those type of shows!

But this makes me worried on another point, because would this effect the acquired shows, like the WB Silver Age cartoons, or even some of the Action... because i'm really scared about this.

Lord Mawdryn

Board Bad Boy
Feb 6, 2006
Planet Gallifrey
I just hope Ms. Reed doesn't ruin the HUB by turing it into another Disney Channel clone, that would be TRULY horrid, and that the addition of more live action doesn't cause animation to be phased out! HUB has spent 3 years building something good, and I fear this person may undo all that, I pray that I am wrong! *knock on wood*
To a large extent, I think that is what's going to happen. More live-action will mean less animation on the schedule. I don't think they'll completely phase animation out, but it may be confined to mornings.

soundmonkey44

Melancholic Man.
Oct 5, 2008
The U.S.A.
To a large extent, I think that is what's going to happen. More live-action will mean less animation on the schedule. I don't think they'll completely phase animation out, but it may be confined to mornings.

Lets hope and pray that doesn't happen. Or send countless e-mails to the HUB pleading for them not to ruin their network! *which yeah OK that would never work...*

Welp just have to wait & see what happens I guess, both at their upcoming upfront, and the network in general over the next couple of years.

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
Mar 17, 2010
Canada
Hey maybe she'll have Hasbro Studios make a Tomica Hero adaptation to combat Power Rangers. No? Okay :(

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
May 23, 2002
Las Vegas, NV
I just hope Margert L. is knowing what she is doing when it comes to the situation, knowing this is the same person who isn't well on the live-action development for Disney Channel/Disney XD. I don't mind live-action, but as long it's not being generic "kidcoms" or "sitcoms" for the line-up. Plus, there are some original live-action shows.. "The Aquabats Super Show", "R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour", and even the acquired ones are live-action. I don't think it needs alot more! Just let the channel hold it's share... and don't spare out only for those type of shows!

But this makes me worried on another point, because would this effect the acquired shows, like the WB Silver Age cartoons, or even some of the Action... because i'm really scared about this.
You should know Margaret Loesch is famous for helping to create a live-action kids series. From this Adage.com article, that show was called Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I am sure you have heard about it. It may be her greatest career accomplishment, since practically everyone at Fox was doubtful about its potential except for Loesch. There's another interview with Loesch from Blast from the Past TV that focuses on X-Men, but talks about PR. In short, Loesch does know live-action. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Goosebumps, and Big Bad Beetleborgs were all shows made while Loesch was in charge of Fox Kids.

I'm seeing a lot of "it's different, so it's going to be awful" opinions in this thread. I want to see what pilots get made and what shows get ordered first before making decisions. Try to learn from history, and don't be like those at Fox before MMPR went on the air, already tossing out the idea a new show could work. I'm skeptical Ms. Reed will try to "out Disney" Disney, considering that countering her own shows from Disney with exactly similar shows on The Hub may not be the best strategy IMO. Plus, remember, it's not like Disney Channel is a one person operation. There are still people there who will probably continue to do similar projects at Disney after Reed's departure, and the Disney name association is very powerful compared to something similar without it on The Hub.