"Nightwing" Feature Film Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

Green-Ghost

Nightwing will get his own feature Film set in the DCEU!
Chris McKay (The LEGO Batman Movie) is set to direct, Bill Dubuque (The Accountant) is writing the script.

Source

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
This coming from someone who finds Nightwing to be pretty boring when he's not on the Titans I'd really prefer a Titans Movie.

Frontier

Staff member
Hmm...interesting that they're having McKay headline this when he has more experience with animation, but WB must've been really impressed by him :).

I'm down for a Nightwing movie, and to see what they might do with it and who they'll cast/include, though I imagine we'll see Dick debut in The Batman first :cool:.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Man, this will be the first live-action appearance of Dick as Nightwing after several failed attempts. The closest was in yes, Batman and Robin when Robin wore a blue-grey variant of his costume in the climax.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

the greenman

Nothing surprises me with DCWB anymore. They are reactionary no matter what. So Lego Batman was successful, let's leech off that. . .
download (4).jpg

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It's tough for me to feel excited about the DCEU right now but I'm always hoping for the best. We need to see more of Batman's world before they explore Nightwing.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Mixed feelings.

I like Nightwing as a character, and I think a film could be exciting, and since they got the LEGO Batman director, I feel this is WB's way of telling people that, yes, it will be fun.

On the other...this, coupled with Squad 2 and Gotham City Sirens, has me a bit worried that WB is prepared to make the DCEU mostly Batman spin-offs in case their other films don't do well. I don't want this to be another case of Batman characters getting the majority of screentime.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
What a bonus! I'm stoked to be in a position as fan to finally be flooded with live action DC content. No surprise the Bat mythos is getting few movies in the pipeline. If this is what led to the pause on the Reeves negotiations and they came back to him accepting a NW movie in addition, super! With McKay onboard, feels like a nice convergence of properties - how often does an animation guy get to work on a live action title?

Frontier

Staff member
With McKay onboard, feels like a nice convergence of properties - how often does an animation guy get to work on a live action title?
Brad Bird is the only name that screams out to me on that front, though I think a better question is how often does an animation guy translate well to a live-action title :sweat:?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Brad Bird is the only name that screams out to me on that front, though I think a better question is how often does an animation guy translate well to a live-action title :sweat:?
Hopefully, we'll be able to debate that with many examples in the years to come.

Frontier

Staff member
I guess another question is what kind of story they'll go with for this movie, given how versatile a character Nightwing is o_O.

Will we get a street-level Bludhaven movie ala the Chuck Dixon Nightwing run ;)?

A globe-hopping spy thriller ala Grayson :cool:?

A stealth pilot for a Titans movie? This one's my personal favorite :rolleyes2:.

the greenman

What a bonus! I'm stoked to be in a position as fan to finally be flooded with live action DC content. No surprise the Bat mythos is getting few movies in the pipeline. If this is what led to the pause on the Reeves negotiations and they came back to him accepting a NW movie in addition, super! With McKay onboard, feels like a nice convergence of properties - how often does an animation guy get to work on a live action title?
Well, Tim Burton is the most famous. Followed by Gilliam and Mike Judge. Stanton did John Carter. There have been some VFX guys too over the years, i.e. David Fincher.

Greg91

Reporter
This is pretty exciting because we'll finally get a live-action Nightwing and hopefully a great actor who truly brings the character to life.

At the same time, I am tired of Warner Bros announcing more DC movies when their current released titles have left a very divisive reaction. I want to see some really great movies before they announce more.

But I'm totally up to see what Chris McKay can do with this movie. I enjoyed his character development of Dick Grayson in The Lego Batman Movie. Hopefully we'll meet Nightwing in the Batman solo movie or at least hear about him.
Nothing surprises me with DCWB anymore. They are reactionary no matter what. So Lego Batman was successful, let's leech off that. . . View attachment 89682

I'd like to see some success for the DCEU, so if that means working with proven talent for a new movie, I'm all up for it. It's not like other studios are different like Fox with the success of Deadpool or Disney with MCU projects like the Ant-Man sequel that was added to the Phase 3 slate.
Will we get a street-level Bludhaven movie ala the Chuck Dixon Nightwing run ;)?
Most likely in my opinion.
A stealth pilot for a Titans movie? This one's my personal favorite :rolleyes2:.
Some people seem to think Cyborg will be a Teen Titans prequel of sorts. I think Nightwing can carry his own film moreso than Cyborg, so I'd prefer him to have a truly standalone movie.
I think Zac Effron would be prefect for Dick Grayson/Nightwing.
Personally, this is the kind of cast I do not want to see at all. I hope they get an actor who both feels and looks like Nightwing.

the greenman

I'd like to see some success for the DCEU, so if that means working with proven talent for a new movie, I'm all up for it. It's not like other studios are different like Fox with the success of Deadpool or Disney with MCU projects like the Ant-Man sequel that was added to the Phase 3 slate.
I think all of us fans truly do, but we are getting to a point of "fool me once. . .". If Wonder Woman is not Great, but just good, trust me our collective sigh of relief will be heard around the world. If it sucks, the studio will continue the same trajectory, because it made close to a billion. Enough initiative to continue on with no real plan, cause like Paramount with Transformers, they know it'll make bank. I guarantee you, if they started marketing these films "From the Studio that brought you. . .'Batman & Robin'; we might see things in perspective. WB ruined the genre before, just don't let 'em do it again.

Greg91

Reporter
I think all of us fans truly do, but we are getting to a point of "fool me once. . .". If Wonder Woman is not Great, but just good, trust me our collective sigh of relief will be heard around the world. If it sucks, the studio will continue the same trajectory, because it made close to a billion. Enough initiative to continue on with no real plan, cause like Paramount with Transformers, they know it'll make bank. I guarantee you, if they started marketing these films "From the Studio that brought you. . .'Batman & Robin'; we might see things in perspective. WB ruined the genre before, just don't let 'em do it again.

I do agree that studios definitely follow box office success more than critical success most of the time. But just as WB screwed things up with Batman & Robin, they started it all with Superman The Movie and I most certainly will not forget that.

I do hope Wonder Woman is at least good because that alone would be a major victory for the DCEU. I think Justice League could be good, but I'm not holding my breath. It could also be disappointing. I just want DC to work out their next few movies after Justice League instead of announcing a bunch of movies with no dates that could all be out by 2023 or something.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts