NickRewind News & Talkback Thread Part 2

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I guess, NickRewind must be a separate division within Nickelodeon, if they didn't actually do their research:

Their first logo (from 1979) only lasted a year before they used a new one based on the Pinwheel* logo. The "silver ball" logo didn't appear until 1981.

*The very first show Nickelodeon ever made, and even then it was originally a local show from Columbus, OH on the old QUBE service. Oh yeah, contrary to popular belief, the channel wasn't really called "Pinwheel". The QUBE service just had a channel that was dedicated to one show, and that was Pinwheel. I'm guessing that when Nickelodeon launched in 1979, it took over that channel position on QUBE.
Actually, Nick in general is lazy when it comes to research. There have been times when the main Nickelodeon social media accounts have marked anniversaries on incorrect dates. It seems they just look this stuff up on Google instead of using internal records.

Ghostbuster

Inside No. 9
What about show's that Nickelodeon didn't make but still have a hand in its production? Nick was mentioned in the credits of a few 'non-Nick' shows including Brothers Flub and, in the UK, Bruno the Kid.

Mandouga

Actually, Nick in general is lazy when it comes to research. There have been times when the main Nickelodeon social media accounts have marked anniversaries on incorrect dates. It seems they just look this stuff up on Google instead of using internal records.

Well, let's face it (and I'm just speculating here), Nickelodeon was likely trying to get YouTube shut down because they didn't want anyone to know about their, uh, "secret past" (i.e., they want to make look as though "current" Nickelodeon is the way Nick has "always" been).

Whatever the case may be, however, there's something wrong when you have people who work at a network, but don't know anything about it; who don't even bother to (really) do the research. I mean, are we to assume that the people currently in charge somehow seriously didn't know? I'm seriously wondering if Nick (in general) have some kind of "out with the old, in with the new"/"that was then, this is now" kind of mindset; that somehow they literally think the past doesn't matter. Or maybe they legitimately think that the viewers (now matter how old they are) somehow won't know/care, or that they somehow (dare I say say it?...) won't know the diffefence? Worse yet, they may actually be embarrassed by their past, either literally, or "officially" (i.e., for the sake of the "current" viewers), and that could even be why the main network is what it is now (meaning, it can be better), let alone TeenNick/NickRewind, or anynof its spinoff networks.

Anyway you slice it, you do not work at a network and get it's history wrong. In the meantime, I'm sorry about the long post, but I'm just not happy about this. At all. That makes the second family cable network to get it's own history wrong, after the Cartoon Network (they claimed "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery" was the first thing TOON ever played; it was actually "Rhapsody Rabbit"). Look, there is something seriously wrong with any network, let alone a family network, or even a cable network when the viewers know more about it than the people who run it, or otherwise actually work there...

Tacomaster

I Actually Like Pizza More
Well, let's face it (and I'm just speculating here), Nickelodeon was likely trying to get YouTube shut down because they didn't want anyone to know about their, uh, "secret past" (i.e., they want to make look as though "current" Nickelodeon is the way Nick has "always" been).

Whatever the case may be, however, there's something wrong when you have people who work at a network, but don't know anything about it; who don't even bother to (really) do the research. I mean, are we to assume that the people currently in charge somehow seriously didn't know? I'm seriously wondering if Nick (in general) have some kind of "out with the old, in with the new"/"that was then, this is now" kind of mindset; that somehow they literally think the past doesn't matter. Or maybe they legitimately think that the viewers (now matter how old they are) somehow won't know/care, or that they somehow (dare I say say it?...) won't know the diffefence? Worse yet, they may actually be embarrassed by their past, either literally, or "officially" (i.e., for the sake of the "current" viewers), and that could even be why the main network is what it is now (meaning, it can be better), let alone TeenNick/NickRewind, or anynof its spinoff networks.

Anyway you slice it, you do not work at a network and get it's history wrong. In the meantime, I'm sorry about the long post, but I'm just not happy about this. At all. That makes the second family cable network to get it's own history wrong, after the Cartoon Network (they claimed "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery" was the first thing TOON ever played; it was actually "Rhapsody Rabbit"). Look, there is something seriously wrong with any network, let alone a family network, or even a cable network when the viewers know more about it than the people who run it, or otherwise actually work there...
This. Although an old style guide did apologize for the silver ball era and prior, they gave their reasons(kids apparently didn’t like it and it was too kiddy and generic)

Mandouga

This. Although an old style guide did apologize for the silver ball era and prior, they gave their reasons(kids apparently didn’t like it and it was too kiddy and generic)

I don't know. Personally, I think it was more that the people at the network didn't like it. Again, though, that explanation may have just been for the sake of the "current" viewers, and that NICK may simply consider their own history to be an embarrassment one way or another. Besides, a "kids/family" network can't really be "too" kiddy, I mean, not really. That might just go into different opinions on what's considered "kiddy". I often hear stories about programming from the first three eras being mostly educational (one silver ball promo even talked about being recommended by the National Education Association), but I do wonder. I mean, they had to have had other kinds of shows on there, you know, especially after how one version of the first logo kept talking about "[taking] everything [that was] wrong with [children's television]" and "[getting] rid of it", "[keeping] the part that was good". To me, that makes it sound like it didn't/shouldn't matter whether anything they showed was educational or not.

And how do I know about all this stuff? YouTube! I mean, I'm interested in the history of some of the networks I like to watch. Anyway, until the Nicktoons era (1991), they had "very few" original shows, according to TV Tropes. However, I don't think this is such a bad thing, as some people might be implying...

Tacomaster

I don't know. Personally, I think it was more that the people at the network didn't like it. Again, though, that explanation may have just been for the sake of the "current" viewers, and that NICK may simply consider their own history to be an embarrassment one way or another. Besides, a "kids/family" network can't really be "too" kiddy, I mean, not really. That might just go into different opinions on what's considered "kiddy". I often hear stories about programming from the first three eras being mostly educational (one silver ball promo even talked about being recommended by the National Education Association), but I do wonder. I mean, they had to have had other kinds of shows on there, you know, especially after how one version of the first logo kept talking about "[taking] everything [that was] wrong with [children's television]" and "[getting] rid of it", "[keeping] the part that was good". To me, that makes it sound like it didn't/shouldn't matter whether anything they showed was educational or not.

And how do I know about all this stuff? YouTube! I mean, I'm interested in the history of some of the networks I like to watch. Anyway, until the Nicktoons era (1991), they had "very few" original shows, according to TV Tropes. However, I don't think this is such a bad thing, as some people might be implying...
Interesting. More of Nicks old beliefs on the subjects can be found on the early pages of this: How to Nick

In the early days, according to the style guide, Nickelodeon broadcast shows parents wanted their kids to watch, not what kids actually wanted to watch. It was the green vegetables of TV, so to speak. Their words on a poster from their early years are “It’s too typical, a little condescending. It’s what you would expect of generic kid illustration and design. We’re really sorry we did this.”

Mandouga

Interesting. More of Nicks old beliefs on the subjects can be found on the early pages of this: How to Nick

In the early days, according to the style guide, Nickelodeon broadcast shows parents wanted their kids to watch, not what kids actually wanted to watch. It was the green vegetables of TV, so to speak. Their words on a poster from their early years are “It’s too typical, a little condescending. It’s what you would expect of generic kid illustration and design. We’re really sorry we did this.”

A Flickr page? Is this "David Vogler" (or is it "David V. Ogler"?) someone who used to be a Nickelodeon? Either way, can you be certain it's not just this person's personal interpretation? Even then, apologizing for their own past? Nick may have been just been saying that in order to tell certain groups of people what they want to hear (or even what the network thinks they want to hear). Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Nick really is that embarrassed of their own past, as I've said, so admittedly, it could be either or, or even both. Still, "too typical"? "A 'little' condescending"? Depending on who you ask, they could be referring to Nick's "current" self right now. "Shows parents wanted their kids to watch"? I would say that it sounds more like current Nick Jr., but at last check, the Nick Jr. channel (and maybe even the Nick Jr. block) is supposed to be past the NickMom era by now (I hope), where it was more about pleasing the parents with shows the network tried to reassure the parents were "educational" enough for their "little ones" while also giving the parents a nightly "vacation" away from them (UGH!!). It was awful really. NickMom was basically Nick Jr.'s version of "[adult swim]".

Really, Tacomaster, you make it sound like Nickelodeon was more for the parents to begin with...at least until the beginning of the "orange" era (1985*). You make it sound like current Nickelodeon is what they would have been doing a long time ago if they had the chance. However, I sincerely doubt that.

Still, whatever NICK's past is like, it's still no excuse for them not to know their own history.

*They first used the "orange" logo in 1984, but they were still using the silver ball logo to sign off. Fun fact: before Nick @ Nite, a channel called "Arts" took over when NICK (which was always a part time network) signed off, then they were replaced (I think) by the "Arts & Entertainment Network" (better known as A&E). Nick @ Nite debuted in 1985 when the orange era started. Now NICK is a 24 hour network, with "Nick @ Nite" just being an in-name-only block run by Nickelodeon themselves from 9PM (sometimes 8PM) to 7AM (I think).

Tacomaster

A Flickr page? Is this "David Vogler" (or is it "David V. Ogler"?) someone who used to be a Nickelodeon? Either way, can you be certain it's not just this person's personal interpretation? Even then, apologizing for their own past? Nick may have been just been saying that in order to tell certain groups of people what they want to hear (or even what the network thinks they want to hear). Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Nick really is that embarrassed of their own past, as I've said, so admittedly, it could be either or, or even both. Still, "too typical"? "A 'little' condescending"? Depending on who you ask, they could be referring to Nick's "current" self right now. "Shows parents wanted their kids to watch"? I would say that it sounds more like current Nick Jr., but at last check, the Nick Jr. channel (and maybe even the Nick Jr. block) is supposed to be past the NickMom era by now (I hope), where it was more about pleasing the parents with shows the network tried to reassure the parents were "educational" enough for their "little ones" while also giving the parents a nightly "vacation" away from them (UGH!!). It was awful really. NickMom was basically Nick Jr.'s version of "[adult swim]".

Really, Tacomaster, you make it sound like Nickelodeon was more for the parents to begin with...at least until the beginning of the "orange" era (1985*). You make it sound like current Nickelodeon is what they would have been doing a long time ago if they had the chance. However, I sincerely doubt that.

Still, whatever NICK's past is like, it's still no excuse for them not to know their own history.

*They first used the "orange" logo in 1984, but they were still using the silver ball logo to sign off. Fun fact: before Nick @ Nite, a channel called "Arts" took over when NICK (which was always a part time network) signed off, then they were replaced (I think) by the "Arts & Entertainment Network" (better known as A&E). Nick @ Nite debuted in 1985 when the orange era started. Now NICK is a 24 hour network, with "Nick @ Nite" just being an in-name-only block run by Nickelodeon themselves from 9PM (sometimes 8PM) to 7AM (I think).
...have you even looked? This was an actual style guide. And I never said it was An excuse not to know their own history,

creator

I would be surprised if Nickelodeon kept original documentation outside of scripts. I don't entirely trust the wikipedia articles either because they're frequently missing sources for information on older cartoons. It's not an easy research project.

creator

I'm sorry for the double post. Tonight the flashback facts have been from various shows and I haven't seen any repeats. They also played a Britney Spears music video.

They aired the Hey Arnold! episode Parents Day tonight. It reminded me that I really need to watch the Jungle Movie...

Poyzonist

Effective immediately, Drake & Josh and Kenan & Kel will no longer air on NickRewind. Drake & Josh will return to Teennick on May 9 and will air every Saturday from 7-9 PM eastern time.

The schedule from now on:

10:00 PM - Rugrats
10:33 PM - Rugrats
11:05 PM - Rugrats
11:37 PM - Rugrats
12:00 AM - Hey Arnold!
12:31 AM - Hey Arnold!
1:02 AM - Hey Arnold!
1:34 AM - Hey Arnold!
2:05 AM - Doug
2:36 AM - Doug
3:05 AM - Rocko's Modern Life
3:34 AM - Rocko's Modern Life
4:01 AM - The Ren & Stimpy Show
4:30 AM - The Ren & Stimpy Show
4:58 AM - Danny Phantom
5:32 AM - Danny Phantom

Last edited:

SG-17

Probably Drake and Josh were bringing in less numbers in its NickRewind slot compared to its TeenNick slot.

Though you could make an argument that NickRewind starts at 7pm on Saturdays now.

Dan's Revenge

Turkey Sandwich
Doug is still only having its first two seasons play. Doing that, makes more sense to have it one segment a day like it was prior. Is there some weird contract suddenly to where S3-4 are unavailable? Just strange.

I also wonder what's up for the longest time that not all Ren & Stimpys are played. I can't think of a reason why a number of them (including my faaaaa-vo-rit... "A Yard Too Far") aren't playing when they're not necessarily as bad as others in terms of content.

kanc

Probably Drake and Josh were bringing in less numbers in its NickRewind slot compared to its TeenNick slot.

Though you could make an argument that NickRewind starts at 7pm on Saturdays now.
Drake and Josh will STILL be on TeenNick brand for the return

BillK15

Effective immediately, Drake & Josh and Kenan & Kel will no longer air on NickRewind. Drake & Josh will return to Teennick on May 9 and will air every Saturday from 7-9 PM eastern time.

So basically back to only airing 6 shows but with Danny Phantom.

Guess the schedule change was pointless if they weren't gonna last long....

SG-17

So basically back to only airing 6 shows but with Danny Phantom.

Guess the schedule change was pointless if they weren't gonna last long....
Its pretty clear that the other content isn't bringing in more viewers or actively loses viewers compared to the block staples.

Danny Phantom must be doing well to be sticking around.

Bigawesome2000

The master of cartoons (maybe)

Darn. I was really enjoying the 10PM hour.

Darklordavaitor

Staff member
NickSplat on VRV update:

Recently added-

-Kablam!
-ChalkZone
-All Grown Up

Recently removed-

-Salute Your Shorts
-Rocko's Modern Life
-Zoey 101

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So this is interesting.
Hi everyone! I just joined, i've been reading these forums since I was 13. So happy to finally have an account!
I wish I knew how old Niki Lytton is so I can wish her a proper happy birthday today. She's the script coordinator for Legend Of The Three Caballeros, Muppet Babies season 1, and (since mid-season 1) TOTS. Given how she's mainly a script coordinator, I assume she's somewhere in her late 20s (given how script coordinators are generally young writers).
The old ratings are back!
I just wanna ask you all. Do you like a new redesigh? For me,it looks nice!