Nickelodeon making Netflix shows, Yay or Nay?

TheMisterManGuy

Recently, Nick has moved some of its animated TV reunion movies and upcoming series to Netflix. This includes the Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim Films, which went to Netflix following the failure of the Hey Arnold Jungle Movie on Cable. And 2 original shows, Pinky Malinky and Glitch Techs, both of which endured 3 years of development hell before being released. With Streaming being practically the new norm, and cable ratings in the toilet, it was inevitable Nickelodeon would turn to Netflix to stay relevant.

What is your stance on Nickelodeon producing select shows for Netflix?

ToonsJazzLover

Yay for mostly everything especially new content and action/serialized shows. That way we don’t have to worry about a show’s scheduling issue and we can watch a new show anytime we want. Also looking forward to the deal they’re having, I hope they’re streaming a mixture of old and new shows.

Dudley

Staff member
I think it’s great for both new shows and reboots or remakes of classic IP. I’m pretty much done with appointment TV, and so is Nick’s targeted audience. Nick and the other kids networks are wising up and getting with the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MegasMilo379

Finally.
It's a Yay from me. If a Nick show airs on Netflix from the jump, it has a better chance - if not a guarantee - of longevity on the streamer (instead of Nick) and not moving to Nicktoons if(/when) it doesn't reach SpongeBob-level (or even Loud House or Rise of TMNT -level) ratings or popularity.

RainbowCupcake

I don't really FEEL like it
Staff member
A big yay for me. If booting shows to Netflix means that they will actually see the light of day and gain a following, I'm all for the change.

superkeegan9100

YTPer, Cartoon Analyst, Artist
Yeah, sorry but this is a nay for me. Netflix originals can burn out with only one season too. You think Nick has it bad with their originals? Netflix is way worse.

The Overlord

Yeah, sorry but this is a nay for me. Netflix originals can burn out with only one season too. You think Nick has it bad with their originals? Netflix is way worse.

How so? So far they rescued projects that would have never seen the light of day otherwise, like Klaus and Castlevania. Most their animated shows: She-Ra, Carmen Sandiego, Voltron, Bojack Horseman, etc, have had pretty decent commitments so far.

Only Tuca and Bertie and 12 Forever were really screwed over and 12 Forever sounds like it had production problems from the start. I would take their record over Nickelodeon's at this point.

The Overlord

I meant in general, not just animated shows...

So far they are treating their animated shows better than Nickelodeon does, so I think that would be a better place for Nicktoons than Nickelodeon itself at this point.

I know they have cancelled a lot of live action stuff over the years rather quickly, but they really have only done that with 2 animated shows so far. But stuff like Castlevania and Klaus would not have seen the light of day without Netflix.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
Yay or nay, it's time for Nick to evolve, or go extinct, just like cable is continuing to do right now (which is the latter.).

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
I would say Yay. Although the deal should be on a "first window" basic, so that Nick can also air the shows at a later date.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
That will give the Nick artists a chance to make shows to air in Netflix and not have to wait a while through TV executive shuffling or looking at ratings.

Mandouga

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I say "nay", because ultimately, this could mean that Nickelodeon might think about using Netflix as a "dumping ground" for shows they otherwise don't want to air on their network (something they already do with the Nicktoons network), and would give them even more of an excu...er, "reason" to use "onge-Spay ob-Bay are-Squay ants-Pay" as a crutch for when things don't go their wa...er, "as expected". The fact is, Nickelodeon is a cable TV network, and making "exclusives" (and I use the term loosely) for any streaming site, let alone Netflix would...even "might" be what they call a "conflict of interest", especially since they technically already have a streaming site (even if it is the kind where you have to sign in with your cable/satellite TV provider).

So, no, I can't support the idea; I mean, not really.

The Overlord

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I say "nay", because ultimately, this could mean that Nickelodeon might think about using Netflix as a "dumping ground" for shows they otherwise don't want to air on their network (something they already do with the Nicktoons network), and would give them even more of an excu...er, "reason" to use "onge-Spay ob-Bay are-Squay ants-Pay" as a crutch for when things don't go their wa...er, "as expected". The fact is, Nickelodeon is a cable TV network, and making "exclusives" (and I use the term loosely) for any streaming site, let alone Netflix would...even "might" be what they call a "conflict of interest", especially since they technically already have a streaming site (even if it is the kind where you have to sign in with your cable/satellite TV provider).

So, no, I can't support the idea; I mean, not really.

It's not really a conflict of interest if Netflix is paying them for their content, is it? There is no rule against an entertainment company making content for a third party.

Also is Netflix really a dumping ground if more kids watch Netflix over Nickelodeon at this point.

At this point, I do not think it matters how much Nickelodeon shows Soongebob, kids starting losing interest in Nickelodeon years ago. Nickelodeon has been mistreating animation for so long, that Netflix is a better home for Nicktoons than Nickelodeon itself and maybe Nickelodeon itself is an archaic institution that simply does not appeal to today's kids.

Frankly I doubt most of these cable channels will exist in a decade or 2.

Mandouga

Either way, linear TV isn't going anywhere, Overlord, let alone the Nickelodeon cable network; at least not for a very long time.

In any case, it doesn't matter. Nickelodeon has their own streaming service one way or the other, and if they're so unsure about airing a show on their actual network, then they should just air it on their streaming service (which, again, you sign into through your cable provider), if anything.

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member
Considering how poorly Nickelodeon treats its own shows, Netflix might be a better home for them than Nicktoons.
A definite yay for me.

5YearsOnEastCoast

I'd say yay, considering how hard it has become for TV shows to become popular on TV nowadays.

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts