Nickelodeon making Netflix shows, Yay or Nay?

Latest News & Videos

TheMisterManGuy

Oct 23, 2014
Recently, Nick has moved some of its animated TV reunion movies and upcoming series to Netflix. This includes the Rocko's Modern Life and Invader Zim Films, which went to Netflix following the failure of the Hey Arnold Jungle Movie on Cable. And 2 original shows, Pinky Malinky and Glitch Techs, both of which endured 3 years of development hell before being released. With Streaming being practically the new norm, and cable ratings in the toilet, it was inevitable Nickelodeon would turn to Netflix to stay relevant.

What is your stance on Nickelodeon producing select shows for Netflix?

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I think it’s great for both new shows and reboots or remakes of classic IP. I’m pretty much done with appointment TV, and so is Nick’s targeted audience. Nick and the other kids networks are wising up and getting with the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MegasMilo379

MegasMilo379

Okay.
May 28, 2016
It's a Yay from me. If a Nick show airs on Netflix from the jump, it has a better chance - if not a guarantee - of longevity on the streamer (instead of Nick) and not moving to Nicktoons if(/when) it doesn't reach SpongeBob-level (or even Loud House or Rise of TMNT -level) ratings or popularity.

RainbowCupcake

Put that thing back where it came from!
Dec 3, 2017
United States
A big yay for me. If booting shows to Netflix means that they will actually see the light of day and gain a following, I'm all for the change.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, sorry but this is a nay for me. Netflix originals can burn out with only one season too. You think Nick has it bad with their originals? Netflix is way worse.
How so? So far they rescued projects that would have never seen the light of day otherwise, like Klaus and Castlevania. Most their animated shows: She-Ra, Carmen Sandiego, Voltron, Bojack Horseman, etc, have had pretty decent commitments so far.

Only Tuca and Bertie and 12 Forever were really screwed over and 12 Forever sounds like it had production problems from the start. I would take their record over Nickelodeon's at this point.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I meant in general, not just animated shows...
So far they are treating their animated shows better than Nickelodeon does, so I think that would be a better place for Nicktoons than Nickelodeon itself at this point.

I know they have cancelled a lot of live action stuff over the years rather quickly, but they really have only done that with 2 animated shows so far. But stuff like Castlevania and Klaus would not have seen the light of day without Netflix.

Nexonius

Ten, count em', ten years!
Jun 28, 2007
Earth Two
That will give the Nick artists a chance to make shows to air in Netflix and not have to wait a while through TV executive shuffling or looking at ratings.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I say "nay", because ultimately, this could mean that Nickelodeon might think about using Netflix as a "dumping ground" for shows they otherwise don't want to air on their network (something they already do with the Nicktoons network), and would give them even more of an excu...er, "reason" to use "onge-Spay ob-Bay are-Squay ants-Pay" as a crutch for when things don't go their wa...er, "as expected". The fact is, Nickelodeon is a cable TV network, and making "exclusives" (and I use the term loosely) for any streaming site, let alone Netflix would...even "might" be what they call a "conflict of interest", especially since they technically already have a streaming site (even if it is the kind where you have to sign in with your cable/satellite TV provider).

So, no, I can't support the idea; I mean, not really.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I've been thinking about this for a while, and I say "nay", because ultimately, this could mean that Nickelodeon might think about using Netflix as a "dumping ground" for shows they otherwise don't want to air on their network (something they already do with the Nicktoons network), and would give them even more of an excu...er, "reason" to use "onge-Spay ob-Bay are-Squay ants-Pay" as a crutch for when things don't go their wa...er, "as expected". The fact is, Nickelodeon is a cable TV network, and making "exclusives" (and I use the term loosely) for any streaming site, let alone Netflix would...even "might" be what they call a "conflict of interest", especially since they technically already have a streaming site (even if it is the kind where you have to sign in with your cable/satellite TV provider).

So, no, I can't support the idea; I mean, not really.
It's not really a conflict of interest if Netflix is paying them for their content, is it? There is no rule against an entertainment company making content for a third party.

Also is Netflix really a dumping ground if more kids watch Netflix over Nickelodeon at this point.

At this point, I do not think it matters how much Nickelodeon shows Soongebob, kids starting losing interest in Nickelodeon years ago. Nickelodeon has been mistreating animation for so long, that Netflix is a better home for Nicktoons than Nickelodeon itself and maybe Nickelodeon itself is an archaic institution that simply does not appeal to today's kids.

Frankly I doubt most of these cable channels will exist in a decade or 2.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Either way, linear TV isn't going anywhere, Overlord, let alone the Nickelodeon cable network; at least not for a very long time.

In any case, it doesn't matter. Nickelodeon has their own streaming service one way or the other, and if they're so unsure about airing a show on their actual network, then they should just air it on their streaming service (which, again, you sign into through your cable provider), if anything.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Disney is having such a bad time this month. With removing of Love, Simon and moving it's series to Hulu because it is too "mature", stopping production of Lizzie McGuire because it was also too "mature", having a "LGBT representation" in Onward and she only appears in ONE scene, few DisneyParks shutting down temporarily due to Coronavirus, their stock went down, Bob Iger left, and is being replaced by Bob Chapek
I know I’m saying this out of nowhere but, I wish The Hub was still around. My favorite shows were Dan Vs. and The Aquabats Super Show.

Cort Lane leaves Marvel animation.
Asa
I'm hoping at some point this decade, Netflix will finally pick up one of Fresh TV's new projects instead of Cartoon Network (not to sound offensive but seven shows seem quite enough).

Also if Total Dramarama does get cancelled at some point, Fresh needs to put the Total Drama franchise to rest (not abandoning it) for a little while and focus on other projects like Lucas the Spider.
Low Spark of Lyman wrote on PinkiePie97's profile.
I've noticed in my "Alerts" that you've commented on the Flintstones video I posted today, yet no comments from you are visible on the page for it via my laptop/mobile device (I see other comments, though). Not sure what's going on.