Nickelodeon has no classic cartoon series?

powerjake

Banned
I've noticed nickelodeon does not have really classic cartoon series characters like the way other companies do, Warner Bros has properties of classic Hanna-Barbera and Looney Tunes and Disney has properties of classic cartoons like Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Donald Duck.

It's odd how nickelodeon does not have their own equivalents of really old cartoon properties like Disney and Warner Bros?.

5YearsOnEastCoast

Probably because they were nowhere near as old like Disney and Warner Bros.

I mean DIsney and Warner Bros were at least 40 years older than Nick.

ToonJay723

Staff member
Paramount sold their Famous Studios characters to Harvey Comics in the 50s. That's why Nickelodeon can't freely use Betty Boop or Herman & Katnip.

powerjake

Banned
Probably because they were nowhere near as old like Disney and Warner Bros.

I mean DIsney and Warner Bros were at least 40 years older than Nick.

I can't think of any very old cartoons that are owned by nickelodeon. Did they even try to get really classic cartoon properties?.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
Does Nick need any 'classic cartoons', though? I'm happy with Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy and Doug being Nick's version of 'classic cartoons'. Just because a show was made half a century (or more) ago doesn't automatically make it good. TMNT was only created in the '80s and it's still one of the most-loved franchises.

powerjake

Banned
Does Nick need any 'classic cartoons', though? I'm happy with Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy and Doug being Nick's version of 'classic cartoons'. Just because a show was made half a century (or more) ago doesn't automatically make it good. TMNT was only created in the '80s and it's still one of the most-loved franchises.

I guess thats as far as nickelodeon can go when it comes to owning classic cartoons from the 1990's.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
Nickelodeon should definitely utilize the Terrytoons properties.

In fact, my proposal to turn NickRewind into a 24/7 operation involves sourcing kids and family programming from other sectors of Viacom including Terrytoons.

Whereas new shows based on Terrytoons would be on the OG Nick.

the greenman

When I was growing up, they did play alot of old cartoons. Dangermouse, Heathcliff, Maya the Bee, even Bullwinkle at one point. Older then those, don't know, and owning them was beyond me.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

harry580

well if viacomcbs going to turn something into a cash cow like spongebob, they should reboot terrytoons because they own them

Spongebob is the Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, & Scooby Doo of the new Millennium.

I was 6 when Spongebob premiered & watched it like crazy....today I'm 27.....my 7 year old cousin & his friends love Spongebob....my 17 year old family friend and all his friends were obsessed with Spongebob. I'd dare to say people 5-6 years older than me loved Spongebob. So that's a 25-30 year range of people (growing every year) that are obsessed with Spongebob...not to mention the parents (my 60 year old mother loves Spongebob)

-2 HUGE movies& a 3rd on the way.
-Meme/vine/tik tok culture has proven it has cultural significance
-Merchandise Sales & ratings have made it a powerhouse
-Changed the industry & everyone tried t make a Spongebob Clone

As a 90's/2000's Kid...I can say that Rugrats at this time should be considered a classic & paved the way for Spongebob. Nick became the powerhouse it is because of Rugrats. It's popularity & ratings is basically what moved the power away from Saturday morning cartoons to cable. They came back from cancellation/episode limit. I had 3 movies & a merchandise army. It was the reason Viacom was able to invest more into Nick & then led the way for Nick to become the #1 Network for so long.

wiley207

I remember how prior to after 1995, Nickelodeon had lots of classics in their lineup: Looney Tunes, "Rocky and Bullwinkle," "Underdog," "The Alvin Show," the UPA and 60s Paramount theatricals (aired as part of "Weinerville" and "Cartoon Kablooey"), "Batfink," "Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse," "Gumby" (though the 50s and 60s shorts aired with their redubbed 80s soundtracks) and even "Yogi Bear"-related stuff at times! But in late 1995-early 1996, most of the pre-1980s cartoons except for "Looney Tunes", "Gumby" and "Bullwinkle" were removed from the schedule (and even then, "Bullwinkle" remained until that spring, when it moved to Cartoon Network.) A few years ago I wrote a fanfic about Alvin being distraught to learn Nickelodeon took "The Alvin Show" off the schedule...

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
Nickelodeon only licensed the rights to air those shows for a period of time, and didn't own them outright.

Looney Turtles

Nickelodeon should definitely utilize the Terrytoons properties.

In fact, my proposal to turn NickRewind into a 24/7 operation involves sourcing kids and family programming from other sectors of Viacom including Terrytoons.

Whereas new shows based on Terrytoons would be on the OG Nick.

Or like I suggested in the other thread, take Nicktoons and turn that into the 24/7 NickRewind channel, while turning the block on TeenNick into a NickGAS block.

It certainly would be better than what Nicktoons is now.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
To be honest, if any channel should be renamed NickRewind, its TeenNick. That's basically what it is at the moment: no original programming, with repeats of slightly older Nick shows.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts