Nickelodeon has no classic cartoon series?

cheril59

I remember how prior to after 1995, Nickelodeon had lots of classics in their lineup: Looney Tunes, "Rocky and Bullwinkle," "Underdog," "The Alvin Show," the UPA and 60s Paramount theatricals (aired as part of "Weinerville" and "Cartoon Kablooey"), "Batfink," "Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse," "Gumby" (though the 50s and 60s shorts aired with their redubbed 80s soundtracks) and even "Yogi Bear"-related stuff at times! But in late 1995-early 1996, most of the pre-1980s cartoons except for "Looney Tunes", "Gumby" and "Bullwinkle" were removed from the schedule (and even then, "Bullwinkle" remained until that spring, when it moved to Cartoon Network.) A few years ago I wrote a fanfic about Alvin being distraught to learn Nickelodeon took "The Alvin Show" off the schedule...

There was also "Jim Henson's Muppet Babies", "Tiny Toon Adventures", "Animaniacs", and "Pinky and the Brain"

wiley207

Yes, but all of those were post-1980. I was only listing pre-1980 shows, which Nickelodeon mostly removed after 1995, except for "Looney Tunes," "Bullwinkle" and "Gumby" (as the 50s and 60s episode aired redubbed alongside the 80s episodes.) And when including post-1980 acquired shows, Nickelodeon also used to air "Inspector Gadget," "Heathcliff and the Catillac Cats," "Beetlejuice" and "The Adventures of Tintin" in the 1990s.

To be honest, if any channel should be renamed NickRewind, its TeenNick. That's basically what it is at the moment: no original programming, with repeats of slightly older Nick shows.
I think that's the way it will go...cable networks are trending down from where they were and it's only going down. But they'll merge it into a newer/cheaper format to get viewers. Younger viewers are gone...so older eyes looking for nostalgia is the goal. It will probably end up being a streaming channel on PlutoTV...Pluto(owned by V-CBS) has a bunch of specialty channels...and they'll probably do a big bunch of Nickelodeon type of channels.

I think you'll see leaner packages combined with bigger on-demand options to save cable. Networks like TeenNick will go away....CBSViacom will probably just keep it on as long as they can get carriage fees & some ad dollars w/o having to invest much more. I think you'll see Nick, MTV, Paramount, & maybe VH1 be the big ones they put on the big "new cable" with much more On-Demand options...combined with live TV (news, sports, talk shows, local, premiers, etc.).

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Power Rangers Reboot! An entirely new universe of shows and movies!
This year is cursed. Every single time there is a spark of hope or excitement, it's extinguished.
I don't even know if it's worth posting weekly schedules for Nicktoons, NickJr, and TeenNick? Barely there were any changes, except for a little and then I would post..
Hi everyone! I just joined, i've been reading these forums since I was 13. So happy to finally have an account!