Nickelodeon Announces New CG-Animated TMNT Movie

Latest News & Videos

Ghostbuster

Inside No. 9
Oct 23, 2015
London, UK
Nickelodeon and Point Grey Pictures’ Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg and James Weaver are jointly producing an all-new CG-animated Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theatrical motion picture. Marking the Nickelodeon Animation Studio’s first-ever CG theatrical production, in partnership with Ramsey Naito, Executive Vice President, Animation Production and Development, overseeing production for Nickelodeon. Josh Fagen is overseeing for Point Grey Pictures. Paramount Pictures will handle worldwide distribution of the film.

The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theatrical motion picture will be directed by Jeff Rowe (Gravity Falls, Connected, Disenchantment) and written by Brendan O’Brian (Neighbors, Sorority Rising, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates).

RainbowCupcake

Oh yeah. It's all coming together.
Dec 3, 2017
United States
I like having Jeff Rowe as the director. The movies the other guy was involved in sound like typically raunchy R-rated fare, so I hope he can bring something good to the table for this family friendly film.

Reactions: Fone Bone

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Getting rid of Michael Bay/Platinum Dunes was the first right step this project took.
Yeah, getting rid of the Michael Bay obnoxious film making style will help this movie.

I am curious where they will go with this film, WB released a CGI TMNT film back in 2007 and it did not do that well.

So I wonder what would be the story for this film, it's still made by Nick, so it will be light-hearted, but TMNT is one of those franchises that can be silly or dark depending on what the writers want.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Yeah, getting rid of the Michael Bay obnoxious film making style will help this movie.

I am curious where they will go with this film, WB released a CGI TMNT film back in 2007 and it did not do that well.

So I wonder what would be the story for this film, it's still made by Nick, so it will be light-hearted, but TMNT is one of those franchises that can be silly or dark depending on what the writers want.
I seem to recall the TMNT animated film from WB did a respectable box office. Not fantastic blockbuster numbers but I believe it made money.

I also believe the reason there wasn't a sequel was because Nick bought the rights shortly thereafter.

Reactions: The Overlord

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I seem to recall the TMNT animated film from WB did a respectable box office. Not fantastic blockbuster numbers but I believe it made money.

I also believe the reason there wasn't a sequel was because Nick bought the rights shortly thereafter.
I think it did okay, it cost 34 million to make and made 95 million at the Box Office.

It made a profit, but it did not light the box office on fire, I think the story choice was a bit odd for that film, it being this kinda loose sequel to the 90s live-action films. The story with the monsters and the Stone Generals, and an immortal pretending to be a businessman, well its different from the usual battle with Shredder and Krang, but I not sure the story was developed enough to be truly riveting. The fight between Leo and Raph was good though.

I am curious about what they are going to do in this film. My favorite incarnation of the TMNT is the best parts of the Mirage comics, but that has been over minded for content over the decades.

I have not read the IDW comics, but I heard it was good.

One obscure part of the franchise that was good, but mostly forgotten, the Archie TMNT series, which started off as an adaption of the 87 cartoon but quickly became its own thing and was the darkest thing Archie was making at the time.

That series had some good villains, Mr. Null, a businessman/demon who sells the Earth to his ally, Queen Maligna, the hive queen of a colony of humanoid insect warriors.

I heard Maligna was going to be the main villain in a TMNT spin-off cartoon from the 90s, but that never got off the ground.

I actually think adapting some of the Archie stories, like the Null/Maligna saga could be fun, it has be toned down a bit, but it could still fun and different. Though I doubt they would go in that direction, they likely will play it safe and make Shredder and Krang the bad guys, as usual. This is just a story I think would be interesting. Those Archie comics were pretty heavy-handed, but they were trying to say some interesting things.

Last edited:

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012

Based on a book I read, TMNT had a sequel in development, but the studio went bankrupt during the scripting stages, because of the movies they made after the first one were huge flops.

Pooky

Jul 14, 2010
UK
I liked TMNT at the time, but mostly for nostalgia and the novelty of seeing a Turtles film in cinemas again. In retrospect, it was a bit of a waste of the expanded canvas animation provided, I don't feel it really did anything the New Line films couldn't have done; the villains were straight out of Critters. At least the Platinum Dunes films, for all their faults, took some advantage of what CGI could do with the character, for action and plot. I can't quite get excited about another Turtles film at this juncture, but hopefully this will be an improvement.

Reactions: RainbowCupcake

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I liked TMNT at the time, but mostly for nostalgia and the novelty of seeing a Turtles film in cinemas again. In retrospect, it was a bit of a waste of the expanded canvas animation provided, I don't feel it really did anything the New Line films couldn't have done; the villains were straight out of Critters. At least the Platinum Dunes films, for all their faults, took some advantage of what CGI could do with the character, for action and plot. I can't quite get excited about another Turtles film at this juncture, but hopefully this will be an improvement.
TMNT is a text book mediocre film, it's not God Awful, but besides a few bright spots ( the fight between Raph and Leo, the fight with the Foot) there is much great in it either and some of the plot choices are bizzare.

There is a ton of TMNT mythos that can be used for a film.

Reactions: Pooky and Freddy

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
My choice for Shredder in this upcoming film is Mark Dascascos, given that I was impressed with his roles in Hawaii Five-0 and John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum.

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
So what would you guys want this film to be about? I made my opinions known, but what would you guys like to see from this film?
I personally would love to see some kind of adaptation of the still ongoing IDW comics, since those are in my opinion absolutely the best incarnation of the franchise. Pick any of their bigger story-arcs and you could easily turn it into a fun movie, especially since we are going the fully animated route this time, so you don't have to worry about how some elements would translate to live-action.

Buuut, if I was in the writers room and everyone turned to me, asking for a pitch, there is a fun idea for a trilogy of movies I have twiddled in my head for a while (just for the fun of it, obviously I will never get to make it for real and writing fanfiction isn't my thing).

Basically, since revenge is a big part of the origin of the Turtles in almost every single continuity and it is a theme that often pops up in Japanese samurai stories, I thought it would be cool to make that a core theme for this trilogy. There's also a certain character and a certain element from the very first issue of the original Mirage comics, which every single adaptation so far has ignored and I think there's a story to tell by finally brinning them back. I'm not going go in-depth detail nor plan to give beat-by-beat plot summary of each movie, since I don't have one ready and I doubt anyone here would even care to read such, but here is a basic idea how each movie would go.

Movie 1
Pre-credits, we are introduced to young April O'Neil, who is working as an intern for a research company called StockGen (can you guess who owns it?). She is taking care of four test animal turtles (can you guess who their are?) and befriends the janitor of the lab, Hamato Yoshi, and his pet rat Splinter. Suddenly, the lab is mysteriously caught on fire and Yoshi is jumped on by a ninja wearing bladed wrist gauntlests (can you guess who he is?). During the struggle, a vat of Mutagen gets pierced, Yoshi is killed and the four turtles and Splinter are seemingly left to die.

After the opening credits, we would jump forward couple of years, meeting April again, this time working as full-time researcher for StockGen. Here, you would do the classic set-up of April meeting the mutated Turtles and Splinter, becoming their friend and learning about their vendetta against Oroku Saki AKA the Shredder, but this time there's a twist.

After their first fight with the Shredder (who would obviously kick their shells to raise the stakes for the finale), they would learn why Shredder killed Yoshi. His brother, Oroku Naki and Yoshi both loved the same woman, and Naki was killed by Yoshi in their fight for her affection. Suddenly, the Turtles learn that the Shredder had a justified reason to hate Yoshi, and they start to question their purpose in life and possibly even resenting Splinter for raising them to be mindless killers.

Obviously, there would have to be some kind of contrived reason to make the Shredder actually evil and give the Turtles new, justified reason to go after him (I admit, that could potentially kill the message the story was trying to tell, so maybe my idea actually sucks). In my head, the climactig battle would take place at the top of Shredder's tower, during a thunderstorm, where battle weary Leo and Shredder would have one final duel with katanas. If I was directing the scene, I would have Leo decapite Shredder, like in the Mirage's "Return to New York" arc, but use a convinient thunderstrike to hide it, so the movie can stay below R-rating.

The movie would end with the Turtles and Splinter ready to find a new purpose in their lives.

Post-credits scene: A Foot Clan informant flying to Japan to deliver Shredder's battle damaged helmet to his daughter, Oroku Karai.

Movie 2
The main villains would be a street gang called Purple Dragons, lead by The Hun, who are secretly funded by Baxster Stockman in return of them targeting his business rivals. We would also meet Casey Jones, a street vigilante having an one-man-war againts the Dragons, the big twist being that he actually is Hun's son, who he physically abuses during his drunken fits of rage. Basically, The Hun would be an evil reflection of the Splinter, both being imperfect fathers, but one aims to be better while the other is completely irredeemable.

Once the Turtles and Casey team-up, Dragons start to lose their turf inch by inch and the good guys are getting a scent of Stockman's involment. Backed into a corner, Stockman sees no choice, but to get involded, so he makes a new patch of the Mutagen and mutates The Hun and his two most trusted goons into Slash, Bebop and Rocksteady.

The climax would be a big street fight, the Turtles and Casey vs. the evil mutants and Stockman's Mouser robots. At the end, the bad guys are arrested and Casey becomes a part of the Turtles' family.

Post-credit scene: Slash, Bebop and Rocksteady are busted out from their cells by Foot ninjas, lead by Karai.

Movie 3
This would be a loose adaptation of the famous "City at War" storyline, with the various gangs of New York fighting in the power vacuum left by the respective defeats of the Shredder and Purple Dragons. Karai would also get involved, wanting revenge for the death of her father.

Somehow (you can tell I thought really hard about this), Turtles would atone with Karai, breaking the cycle of vengeance between their families, and bring peace to the city by helping Karai to take over NYC's underworld, with the promise of her leaving them and innocent people alone.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Would you believe I was first exposed to Angelica Hale through here?
Oh look at that. My cable provider wants me to pay even MORE money just so I can watch the new Owl House episode on DisneyNow. Are you kidding me?
The winner is "Let's Meet Sonic", which got 3 votes. "Monster Party" got 1 vote. The next matchup is animated crossovers with live action shows. This time it's between "Halloween Night At The Museum" (Ultimate Spiderman & Jessie) and ScoobyNatural (Supernatural & Scooby Doo).

If schedule listings are to be believed, it appears as though Toonami will be airing reruns of DBS' Universe Survival Saga starting tonight.
Can we talk about how a French home video company had an opening logo consisting of an animated Groucho Marx set to disco music? I especially like the Fender Rhodes solo during the second half, even if it's just the warning message.