Nickelodeon and Netflix Announce New Multi-Year Deal for Original Shows/Movies

The Overlord

I'm wondering how this will affect CBS All-Access? I naturally assumed that a lot of Viacom's properties would eventually show up (or it at the very least, would seem logical) there come the finalization of the merger.

Can Nickelodeon return to dominance in kids TV with all the streaming competition?
SOURCE: LOS ANGELES TIMES
Nickelodeon, which signed an exclusive deal with Netflix this week, once dominated kids TV. But it's lost nearly 60% of its viewership over the past decade. “We have to move fast, and continue to evolve as the business evolves,” says Brian Robbins, who's been trying to re-create Nickelodeon's excitement via reboots of classic series since he took over as president 13 months ago. “We want to get back to that creative-driven culture that used to exist here.” Robbins adds: “I knew that there were enormous headwinds confronting television. But then my wife asked me the question that I like to ask everybody, which is: ‘Why not?'"

Man, I kinda think this kinda threw CBS All Access under the bus. What does CBS All Access even have? Star Trek and stuff like ''God Friended Me?'' What do they have for kids at this point? Danger Mouse?

It seems Viacom and CBS cannot get on the same page in terms of streaming strategies, that kinda hurts them as a combined entity in the streaming wars, CBS wants to be a player in its own right, while Viacom wants to sell their content to other players, pick one or the other, you can't do both and thrive.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
"It seems Viacom and CBS cannot get on the same page in terms of streaming strategies, that kinda hurts them as a combined entity in the streaming wars, CBS wants to be a player in its own right, while Viacom wants to sell their content to other players, pick one or the other, you can't do both and thrive.

@Fone Bone Viacom recently said (I think during their recent conference call) that Viacom and CBS are currently working on a streaming plan.

The Overlord

"It seems Viacom and CBS cannot get on the same page in terms of streaming strategies, that kinda hurts them as a combined entity in the streaming wars, CBS wants to be a player in its own right, while Viacom wants to sell their content to other players, pick one or the other, you can't do both and thrive.

@Fone Bone Viacom recently said (I think during their recent conference call) that Viacom and CBS are currently working on a streaming plan.

Viacom is selling some of its key content to other players, South Park to HBO and Nickelodeon content to Netflix, if CBS still wants to be a player in this market, what can Viacom offer them if they sold key content to other platforms?

The Overlord

I read an interesting article about Nickelodeon recently from the LA Times:

I think the people in charge of Nickelodeon are realizing the same thing people here have been saying for years, that Nickelodeon's mistreatment of shows that are not getting Spongebob level ratings was going to bite them in the long term.

Shows like Harvey Beaks and Welcome to the Wayne could have successful shows, but since they did not get Spongebob level ratings right away, they were sent to Nicktoons to be forgotten about, maybe these shows would have done well on streaming.

With streaming TV ratings and scheduling are not important, maybe Nickelodeon can treat creators better and have more creative-driven shows that are given a chance to thrive. I think Nickelodeon has to stop mistreating creators if it wants to thrive in the digital age.

Last edited:

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
I think the people in charge of Nickelodeon are realizing the same thing people here have been saying for years, that Nickelodeon's mistreatment of shows that are not getting Spongebob level ratings was going to bite them in the long term.
If they were realizing that, they would be greenlighting new cartoons right now...

the greenman

I'm wondering how this will affect CBS All-Access? I naturally assumed that a lot of Viacom's properties would eventually show up (or it at the very least, would seem logical) there come the finalization of the merger.

Can Nickelodeon return to dominance in kids TV with all the streaming competition?
Nickelodeon, which signed an exclusive deal with Netflix this week, once dominated kids TV. But it's lost nearly 60% of its viewership over the past decade. “We have to move fast, and continue to evolve as the business evolves,” says Brian Robbins, who's been trying to re-create Nickelodeon's excitement via reboots of classic series since he took over as president 13 months ago. “We want to get back to that creative-driven culture that used to exist here.” Robbins adds: “I knew that there were enormous headwinds confronting television. But then my wife asked me the question that I like to ask everybody, which is: ‘Why not?'"

Paramount & Sony are the two studios trailing behind in streaming. Don't bring up Crackle please. It's more of a placeholder streaming service, then anything they put thought into. Like a cable station app or something imho.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

The Overlord

If they were realizing that, they would be greenlighting new cartoons right now...

Maybe, but Brian Robbins just took and said the cupboard was bare in terms of useful IP, saying they really only have 3 shows. Also Nickelodeon is part of Viacom, which I think is a very mismanaged company (look at all the bombs Paramount released in the threatres). I think Viacom thought it could it's old cable based business model and did not have to change and their model worked for a while, but now it doesn't.

Corporations do not change on a dime usually, but the entertainment landscape has changed so quickly in the last couple of years, it can force them to change, but old habits die hard.

AdrenalineRush1996

Back with a better image
Paramount & Sony are the two studios trailing behind in streaming. Don't bring up Crackle please. It's more of a placeholder streaming service, then anything they put thought into. Like a cable station app or something imho.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Not to mention that Sony sold most of their stake on Crackle to Chicken Soup for the Soul not long ago.

The Overlord

This is another interesting article about Viacom's decline due to a lack of interest in digital media until recently. It's a bit older, it's from April, but still relevant to see why Viacom wanted to partner up with Netflix and who their poor decision making hurt them.

There was a video from a YouTuber called Saberspark that talked about Nickelodeon's downfall, its fairly old, so I won't bother posting it, but it does have a quote from an employee about how Nickelodeon became less experimental and more corporate over the time.

I do think Viacom was an experimental company that became more rigid and static over time, maybe the Netflix partnership will let them be more experimental.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
You still understand why people are excited for Star Wars and Frozen sequels though. Nobody's asking for more Danny Phantom, and the guy's acting like he actually won a poll that he didn't, and that his franchise is the most popular thing ever. That is very 2019, and reminds me why I don't like current people in power. They make crap up, and act like they are the greatest people ever.

BillK15

The Overlord

Apparently CBS All Access is getting the Nickelodeon library too:

This does seem like a confused strategy to me, Viacom does not seem to know whether it wants to throw in CBS or if it wants to sell its content to other players in the streaming Wars.

LinusFan303

Squeak
Unless Viacom changes this , CBS All Access' reason for existing is so CBS can use it to negotiate with cable companies for the sweet CBS re transmission fees (the one thing keeping local TV profitable) Viacom could use it the same way to have companies pay them the rate they want for Viacom channels.

ToonsJazzLover

I’m wondering if CBS is getting the past Nick lineup (including preschool) while Netflix gets the rest of the lineup from the 2010s.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
I can't see CBS All Access getting much of Nick's preschool line-up, as a lot of it is already on Noggin (unless Noggin gets absorbed into CBS All Access).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.
Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts