"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Frontier

Staff member
New Variety article about the "Crisis" at Marvel with a bunch of reports including Marvel's back-up plans to replace Kang with Doctor Doom, and reviving Iron Man and Black Widow.

I suppose time will tell just how accurate these are...
I can buy the plan to replace Kang with Doom, it's baked into Secret Wars as a story.

I don't know if bringing Iron Man back would solve anything. I think they did Natasha dirty, so...

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
They should just recast Majors. Honestly, Hollywood seldom is willing to do anything sensible. Audiences would accept it with no problems or even explanations needed. We aren't dumb. We get stuff like this sometimes happens. You do not need to redesign the entire arc to protect the integrity of Majors' performance. He does not deserve that benefit.
I think they did Natasha dirty, so...
Agree here. Twice.

Goldstar!

What up, dog?
First, I applaud Disney for waiting for the results of Jonathan Majors trial before erasing him from the MCU. Innocent until proven guilty is still a thing, last time I checked. I have some thoughts regarding Mr. Majors' situation, but it's probably best not to discuss them here.

In any case, assuming that Mr. Majors is found guilty, Marvel should just recast him and hire a new Kang the Conquerer. It's already been established on Loki that there are multiple Kang variants in the Multiverse, so just have a different Kang variant that doesn't look like Jonathan Majors. Every Loki variant wasn't played by Tom Hiddleston. Admittedly, Majors wouldn't be easy to replace, since he is crazy talented, but it wouldn't be impossible. I've read in a couple of places that Kevin Feige may be planning to reset the MCU, which honestly, I think is a good idea. If this happens, then all of this mess would become a moot point.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
They don't even need to go THAT far and explain the different appearance via a Multiverse explanation. The audience will already get it. You do a quick Don Cheadle "I'm here, deal with it," quip and nobody will raise ANY objections at all. It's weird Marvel is acting like this could upend their all of their long gestating plans. They aren't thinking sensibly or giving the audience enough credit.

Stupid crap like this is how we got the Bat-Embargo on JLU. And Hollywood never learns to trust the viewer. Even after all this time.

Frontier

Staff member
I mean, I was expecting some kind of Doom pivot because that's baked into a story like Secret Wars, but it should be a natural development and not a backup plan.

Also I can't believe they were doing Blade and were coming up with a plot where, once again, Blade takes a backseat to a bunch of other characters.

The Marvels initially not having a coherent plot doesn't really surprise me.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Given the next Avengers movie is supposed to be "The Kang Dynasty" I imagine it might be easier to re-cast the role than re-writing the entire story. Though granted I'd also like to see Doctor Doom anywhere, especially involved with the following "Secret Wars".

the greenman

The bottom line is Phase 4 was a massive mistake on many levels. Feige is seeing it now. Keep the main thing, the main thing. The MCU has too many characters introduced for no apparent reason, of course at least not yet.

It was believed that this phase was going to be all cosmic. They should have stuck to that. It was a huge waste to intro She-Hulk, Man-thing (though it was cool), Moon Knight, and like for why? I think they should be concentrated on all Cosmic IMHO. Especially seeing how they don't have Spider-Man or X-Men.

I do understand they have/had their plans ahead of time, but. . .

Honestly, I would have stuck to that Cosmic. Fantastic Four, Captain Marvel (meh, she was miscast), and Eternals (miscasting director).

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JMTV

The Adorkable One.
The bottom line is Phase 4 was a massive mistake on many levels. Feige is seeing it now. Keep the main thing, the main thing. The MCU has too many characters introduced for no apparent reason, of course at least not yet.
I mean, this is what happens when you're introducing too many characters just for the sake of propping up your streaming service. Or other cases, dumbing down classic characters just for the sake of a joke. Not only you are pissing off the hardcore fans, but also alienating the casual viewers since the Disney Plus MCU shows felt like too much homework.

Why can't the MCU TV shows be a separate universe similar to Agents of Shield? That would be much less of a headache than they are now.

I think the major problem with Phase 4 in general is that it was made by people who don't know what they are doing nor really understand what made the MCU so great. I would blame Disney for spreading the Marvel brand too thin by not giving Feige creative control, but Kevin Feige is not blameless either. I do love and respect the guy, but there are times where his ideas were questionable at best, yet very fan-ficy at worst. Feel free to disagree with me, but I think someone needs to knock him down a peg or two of thinking he can do no wrong, and focus on fixing the problem of the MCU right now.

The MCU TV shows were not doing well. Phase 4 and 5 films were getting trashed on (with the exception of Guardians 3 and No Way Home). Jonathan Majors is going through controversies. Now, with superhero fatigue, it's like....what the hell is going on over there?

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I mean, this is what happens when you're introducing too many characters just for the sake of propping up your streaming service. Or other cases, dumbing down classic characters just for the sake of a joke. Not only you are pissing off the hardcore fans, but also alienating the casual viewers since the Disney Plus MCU shows felt like too much homework.

Why can't the MCU TV shows be a separate universe similar to Agents of Shield? That would be much less of a headache than they are now.

I think the major problem with Phase 4 in general is that it was made by people who don't know what they are doing nor really understand what made the MCU so great. I would blame Disney for spreading the Marvel brand too thin by not giving Feige creative control, but Kevin Feige is not blameless either. I do love and respect the guy, but there are times where his ideas were questionable at best, yet very fan-ficy at worst. Feel free to disagree with me, but I think someone needs to knock him down a peg or two of thinking he can do no wrong, and focus on fixing the problem of the MCU right now.

The MCU TV shows were not doing well. Phase 4 and 5 films were getting trashed on (with the exception of Guardians 3 and No Way Home). Jonathan Majors is going through controversies. Now, with superhero fatigue, it's like....what the hell is going on over there?
Like anyone, they're not infallible. They had success for a long time and got too used to it probably. But as previous reports have gleaned, they got shook by response to titles like Quantumania and are making changes on both fronts like we've heard about Born Again.

Last edited:

the greenman

So all that over nothing, huh :p?
Well, the Fourth supporting character stuff is new and had not heard that part before. Only thing I heard was the character of Blade involved him having to train his daughter. This seems to be based on the new comics. So who knows.

It would not surprise me. I think they wasted a lot of time and money so far. Subpar filmmakers on projects is not going to fly.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Pooky

Staff member

I was never the biggest MCU fan so I probably shouldn't get involved but...

"Debunked" is quite a stretch. A countenance perhaps. I'm sure the Variety piece has an angle because all writing does, and I'm sure there's some muckraking in there, but the overall picture seems somewhat accurate.

And I love how the article claims, but doesn't show, how the claims in the Variety article come from Reddit and therefore aren't credible, but its "evidence" is posts from that safe haven of accuracy, Twitter.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I was never the biggest MCU fan so I probably shouldn't get involved but...

"Debunked" is quite a stretch. A countenance perhaps. I'm sure the Variety piece has an angle because all writing does, and I'm sure there's some muckraking in there, but the overall picture seems somewhat accurate.

And I love how the article claims, but doesn't show, how the claims in the Variety article come from Reddit and therefore aren't credible, but its "evidence" is posts from that safe haven of accuracy, Twitter.
Good catch. This is why you are an astute poster.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts