Nick Animation President Russell Hicks Steps Down.

kanc

Uhhh I'm not surprised, then again some other Nick staff have left Nickelodeon company due to Nick's decline in ratings, like Majorie Cohn, etc

rockorockorocko

Could this be Nick trying to right the ship now that there's hope for the animation end in HB and TLH? Perhaps Nick feels they can finally start from scratch and build differently than how they have under Hicks? Not saying he's tenure has been absolutely horrible, but its been highly controversial with way more losses than wins...

digiblader1

And it likely won't be the last departure--considering the mess at Viacom, Cyma could be gone next..as execs try to get away from this mess between the Redstones and Phillipe Dauman..

Mandouga

Unfortunately, this isn't going to (really) solve the main problem(s) with NICK, other than [suspected] overreliance on a certain yellow sponge. Not that that show is bad or anything, but when your most popular show is overexposed, even by popularity standards, and when certain shows are suspected to be cancelled, because they don't (immediately) have similar viewing figures, there's something wrong there, and even when a show has lots of people watching initially, shoving that show down people's throats isn't the answer (in my opinion). In any case, this also includes, among other things, airing whatever, whenever, however, and randomly* premiering new episodes, then randomly stopping with no new episodes for weeks if not months, all while thinking people--regardless of age or "target demgraphic" (as they would put it)--won't notice/care. It's like the old saying goes, "Variety is the spice of life", and even if people don't notice or care right now, they might eventually. Still, whatever happens next, ultimately, NICK (and the rest of Viacom, for that matter) will only have themselves to blame. Just saying.

*Not as randomly as the Cartoon Network or anything, but still.

Erased Paper

In any case, this also includes, among other things, airing whatever, whenever, however, and randomly* premiering new episodes, then randomly stopping with no new episodes for weeks if not months, all while thinking people--regardless of age or "target demgraphic" (as they would put it)--won't notice/care.
That's been going on for more than 15 years.

rockorockorocko

Unfortunately, this isn't going to (really) solve the main problem(s) with NICK, other than [suspected] overreliance on a certain yellow sponge. Not that that show is bad or anything, but when your most popular show is overexposed, even by popularity standards, and when certain shows are suspected to be cancelled, because they don't (immediately) have similar viewing figures, there's something wrong there, and even when a show has lots of people watching initially, shoving that show down people's throats isn't the answer (in my opinion). In any case, this also includes, among other things, airing whatever, whenever, however, and randomly* premiering new episodes, then randomly stopping with no new episodes for weeks if not months, all while thinking people--regardless of age or "target demgraphic" (as they would put it)--won't notice/care. It's like the old saying goes, "Variety is the spice of life", and even if people don't notice or care right now, they might eventually. Still, whatever happens next, ultimately, NICK (and the rest of Viacom, for that matter) will only have themselves to blame. Just saying.

*Not as randomly as the Cartoon Network or anything, but still.

Which is why, perhaps this is a sign that Viacom is willing to finally right the ship and remove the ones who led Nick INTO this debacle. We all know the network needs a lot of help.

I will say this tho, as of right now SBSP is only airing seven episodes a weekday (remember when it was 13 A WEEKDAY?), AatC has two regular reruns, TLH already has one as has warranted that slot with its winner ratings, and HB/SJC are having premiere weeks this month. Plus, HD has one slot, TTM has two, and NRDD/GS/SoR are rotating a slot.

Nick has eight shows on their regular weekday lineup (SBSP, AatC, TLH, HB/SJC, HD, TTM, NRDD/GS/SoR). That's incredible when considering a few years ago it was SBSP with 13 slots, FOP with 2, and two reruns of Drake and Josh. Yuck.

I still think there's hope for Nick and maybe we are seeing things change?

Tommy Lawson

Staff member
And it likely won't be the last departure--considering the mess at Viacom, Cyma could be gone next..as execs try to get away from this mess between the Redstones and Phillipe Dauman..

i was thinking about creating a thread for that Sumner Redstone vs. Philippe Dauman clash (it is easy to forget his name is Sumner Redstone, and not Summer Redstone), but this can also function as the thread for discussion of the current Viacom turmoil. Two interesting reads: one from the Los Angeles Times says he clashed with Zarghami. and Deadline has an article up with what Zarghami said about him. The Deadline article says that Nickelodeon became #1 in Kids 6-11 at the end of May, but that news appears to have been drowned out by the Redstone vs. Dauman stories in recent weeks.

19MagiswordLane

Anime Superhero's Crooner of Carnage, babe!
i was thinking about creating a thread for that Sumner Redstone vs. Philippe Dauman clash (it is easy to forget his name is Sumner Redstone, and not Summer Redstone), but this can also function as the thread for discussion of the current Viacom turmoil. Two interesting reads: one from the Los Angeles Times says he clashed with Zarghami. and Deadline has an article up with what Zarghami said about him. The Deadline article says that Nickelodeon became #1 in Kids 6-11 at the end of May, but that news appears to have been drowned out by the Redstone vs. Dauman stories in recent weeks.

I don't believe a saw a thread about the turmoil, so it's fine by me if you want to use this one (if that's ok by you).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

also, I don't know if can ever look at any of the shows connected to Dan Schneider in a good light ever again. some of the actors are ok with us still enjoying them but I don't know if I can get past it.
as a survivor of childhood trauma, I I wish everyone would leave Amanda Bynes alone. she owes us nothing, and I hope she's doing as well as she can possibly be right now.
I think most people are very upset and lamenting the fact that Nickelodeon (NOT including preschool shows nor nick@nite) aren't having regular new episodes since after Transformers: EarthSpark finished the season.

Let's hope we get new promos during watching Sonic the Hedgehog 2 tomorrow night.

I knew about the promotional cans but I'm just seeing this ad for the first time. I love seeing Daredevil pushed by Marvel.
Notable moment from The Rock.

Featured Posts