Niche Cartoons you liked as a kid

Latest News & Videos

TheMisterManGuy

Oct 23, 2014
As a child, what Cartoon did you really enjoy, yet for some reason, never did well in ratings, or your friends didn't seem to watch or get? When I was around 9, I really liked this Italian Cartoon called Monster Allergy, which aired in the US on Kids' WB! when the brand moved to The CW. Yet even as a kid, I never saw anyone talk about it.

Reactions: Joe Taylor

Mr. Daniel

Back (but just occasionally)
Sep 25, 2015
El Tigre comes to mind. That was a pretty decent show.

Rise of the Guardians didn't do well at the box office, but it's developed a legion of fans. Mainly due to Jack. many fangirls thinks he's a hottie and that he is part of the internet's biggest love square: The Big Four.

I've also watched some T.U.F.F Puppy. It was ok.

On the friend thing, I loved the Polar Express. But my classmates gave me weird looks and said they preferred to play Grand Theft Auto. And this was when I was Seven years old!

Oh, and if we count live action kids stuff into this. Naked Brothers' Band is criminally forgotten.

PinkieLopBun

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 14, 2015
Massachusetts
pinkielopbun.carrd.co
I remember reading once that My Life as a Teenage Robot didn't do so hot, but I liked it. I also liked Catscratch and El Tigre, and while I don't know how their ratings were, I'm guessing they didn't do well if they didn't last long. I might add more if I think of any.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Nov 1, 2013
I thought Get Ed! was okay nothing too Spectacular also I flat out loved Monster Rancher

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
Monster Rancher definitely comes to mind for me as well. It was a surprisingly good show and one of my favorite shows to watch back in the day on Fox/ABC Family. Compared to quite a few other toyetic monster shows at the time, it never really got much attention even back then.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
As a kid I really liked Martin Mystery, Kappa Mikey and Shinzo despite not knowing anyone else who knew those shows existed :(

I also liked Alfred Jodocus Kwak, The Forgotten Toys, Spirou & Fantasio and Space Goofs Season 2. These cartoons were actually very popular at my school but no one on Toonzone seems to know about their existence.

Dr.Pepper

Sep 10, 2006
In A House
When I was little I liked Shnookems and Meat. I hate it now, but when I was in preschool I didn't get it was an uninspired Ren & Stimpy rip-off.

Not a kid, but as a teen I liked Robotboy for some reason.

Radical

Banned
Nov 7, 2004
Lacey,Washington
My top favorite awesome underrated cartoons/anime,

Where On Earth Is Carmen Sandiego? - Such an awesome classic action cartoon with awesome plots/storylines/action.Both Zack/Ivy, Chief, Carmen Sandiego, and Dr. Gunnar Maelstrom were awesome classic heroes/villains.Cool with Jennifer Hale/Scott Menville as Zack/Ivy and Rodger "Squidward/Dr. Light" Bumpass as Chief:D.Loved the awesome catchy opening theme song.

The Mouse and the Monster - An awesome funny wacky underrated cartoon from UPN with a sweet plot/funny crazy episodes.Both Chesbro(Chez) and Mo were awesome funny likable major heroes/protagonists with funny chemistry and Dr. Wackerstein/Olga were my favorite funny creepy underrated villains, Olga being a strange voice of reason, sweet, hehehe, I was a big fan of the show and I miss it.

Space Goofs - Such an awesome funny/wacky short-lived Foxkids comedy cartoon that I enjoyed.The five aliens Etno, Gorgious, Candy, Stereo, and Bud's chemistry was hilarious/fantastic and when they transform into humans/animals to get rid of the unexpected visitors/villains in their rented house was pretty sweet/enjoyable.

Flying Rhino Junior High - Great "kids in school" cartoon from CBS Kidshow in the Saturday Mornings.It was pretty entertaining, has great plot/storylines with the reality warping/fantasies coming to life in Flying Rhino Junior High, and silly/goofy character designs.The Phantom(Earl P. Sidebottom)/Raticus were awesome funny likable underrated cartoon villains.I was a big fan of the show and I miss it.

Home Movies - Awesome/enjoyable with sweet comedy and great funny episodes.Both Brendan, Paula, Melissa, Erik, Jason, Coach John Mc.Guirk, and Mr. Lynch were the best funniest characters:brendon::melissa::coach::D.

League of Super Evil - Funny silly CGI comedy series starring supervillains that want to take over their neighborhood in Metrotown and the world.Both Voltar, Red Menace, Doktor Frogg, and Doomageddon were great funny supervillain protagonists while Doktor Frogg is the poor punching bag I feel sorry for as much as he's the most evil one of the bunch.I so despised that annoying spoiled brat/jerkette Lightning Liz who needs a good severe beating, but her comeuppance in Rock-a-bye Voltar was satisfying, yaaaaaaay!!!!!!

Flint the Time Detective - Such an awesome underrated action/comedy anime with a great enjoyable plot/storyline.Both Flint Hammerhead, Rocky, Sarah/Tony, Dr. Bernard Goodman, Jillian, Pterry/Getalong, Merlock, Dark Lord, Petra Fina, Dyno/Mite, Super Ninja, and The Uglinator were awesome likable funny protagonists/antagonists and all the Time Shifter monsters were cool/interesting.

Shinzo - Such an awesome underrated action anime with an awesome plot/storyline and the whole cool "animals taking over the world" formula.Both Yakumo, Binka, Hakuba, Mushra/Sago/Kutal, and Rei/Sen/Este(they're SO CUTE!!!!) were awesome likable protagonists and loved Lanacuras and all the Enterran villains along with the Enterran generals Daku/Ryuuma/Rusephine who were awesome/interesting/ruthless:D.Cool that it had two seasons though.

Last edited:

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Austin, Texas
Kenny The Shark was something I remembered watching before Discovery Kids became The Hub, I did get some enjoyment out of it back then.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Cartoon Headquarters
Hard to say what is niche exactly... or what was. I certainly didn't think of that as a kid and just watched whatever I liked. But looking back... Fish Police, Tigersharks, Dinky Di's, BoBoBos, Hobberdy D., Cadillacs & Dinosaurs, Clyde, Spartacus Sun Beneath Sea, Candy Candy... Those would count, right?

Danno Kane

Jan 14, 2015
Mine were Darkwing Duck., Beetlejuice the animated series., Tales from the cryptkeeper., The real Ghostbusters., Ren And Stimpy., Toxic Crusaders., Eek the Cat., Sam and Max Freelance Police., Count Duckula., the 1992 Addams Family cartoon., & Attack of the Killer Tomatoes the animated series.,,. Also Bump in the Night.,,.

Nikktoon

Mar 15, 2011
FL
I used to watch Belle and Sebastian when I was really young. Does anyone else remember that cartoon? I also loved Danger Mouse, The Snorks, and Ewoks.

Red Arrow

ça va nog wel
Oct 22, 2012
Belgium
^ Gaumont Animation (the studio that made Gawayn, Matt's Monsters, Spaced Out and Robotboy) is currently making a Belle & Sebastian reboot, so I'm pretty sure it has its fans somewhere.

Otaku-sempai

Sep 10, 2010
Lackawanna, NY
I used to watch Belle and Sebastian when I was really young. Does anyone else remember that cartoon? I also loved Danger Mouse, The Snorks, and Ewoks.
I remember Belle and Sebastian, but that was a little late to be part of my childhood. Likewise with Nickelodeon airing The Mysterious Cities of Gold.

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA!
Sep 26, 2011
Neo Arcadia, USA
(Removing the "as a kid" part, seeing as I discovered ALL of these shows in my early 20's...) I can think of a lot - but the most that come to mind are Jimmy Two-Shoes, El Tigre, The Secret Show, Edgar & Ellen (animated series), Grossology, and Growing Up Creepie.

All of these were pretty underrated - however, compared to what I watch now, I'm not sure they all hold up as well to me.