NFL 20 "Regular Season & Playoffs" Talkback

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
Lift every voice and sing. After a, let’s say, unconventional off-season, the National Football League begins its next 100 seasons with the Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs hosting the Houston Texans.

WEEK 1
Thursday, September 10, 2020
HOU @ KC, 8:20 PM

jaylop97

Staff member
I've never been as excited for an NFL today as I was today, man it felt like years since the last game happened.

Anywho the Chiefs are as sharp as ever, as for the Texans, I admire Watson's efforts in running the ball but he's not the best, and his throwing game was hit or miss, when the pressure was intense he really did suffer from the rush. That said the Texans second half was a big step up from the first half.

Road to Gotham

Vikings defense was non existent. With no pass rush on Rogers the young DBs were unable to cover.
Overall the play in all the games were quite good. Not too many yellow flags.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
Wow was that an embarrassing lack of self-awareness last night at the end of the game. You're not used to seeing that from him. I don't like getting into the argument over whether he or Belichick is most responsible for the Patriots dynasty, but you don't see Belichick lead teams defeating themselves with mental mistakes like that too often. Even so, Belichick or not, Brady should know better by now.

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
No matter how you’re spending Thanksgiving, you can spend it with the Lions and Cowboys. I’m trying to avoid 2020 cliche, so I’ll simply say, tonight’s Steelers-Ravens game has been postpone. :(

WEEK 12
Thursday, November 26, 2020
HOU @ DET, 11:30 AM
WAS @ DAL, 2:30 PM

Road to Gotham

The Packers are running away with the NFC North. :(
Lions fired their Head Coach and GM.
Wonder if the Bears will do the same.
Vikings have won 4 out 5 games. YAY. But will most likely miss the playoffs. :(

The Penguin

Mod of Fowl Play
Staff member
With today’s special Christmas Day game and that other thing, this is the first time in NFL history that the league will hold games on all seven days of the week. The Minnesota Vikings are New Orleans for the holidays as they take on the Saints.

There will be more football before Sunday with a triple-header of NFL action on Saturday starting at 1 ET.

WEEK 16
Friday, December 25, 2020
MIN @ NO, 2:30 PM

Saturday, December 26, 2020
TB @ DET, 1:00 PM
SF @ ARI, 4:30 PM
MIA @ LV, 8:15 PM

PF9

There should be a realignment to put several teams in more geographically accurate divisions, as follows:

AFC
East: Buffalo, New England, NY Jets, Pittsburgh
North: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Kansas City
South: Baltimore, Jacksonville, Miami, Tennessee
West: Denver, Houston, LA Chargers, Las Vegas

NFC
East: Carolina, NY Giants, Philadelphia, Washington
North: Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota
South: Atlanta, Dallas, New Orleans, Tampa Bay
West: Arizona, LA Rams, San Francisco, Seattle

Reasons for teams moving to different divisions

Pittsburgh and Baltimore: Theoretically, either could have been moved to the AFC East. But since there was only room for one of them, I chose Pittsburgh because they were north of the Mason-Dixon line, and are in the same state as Philadelphia, who is in their conference's East division. Baltimore is located south of the same line, and even though the area has more Northeastern characteristics now, it is still classified as Southern by the Census Bureau. Yes I know nearby Washington is also in their conference's East division.

Indianapolis: They move from the AFC South to the North because Indianapolis is a Midwestern city, not a Southern one. Plus Cincinnati is located just down I-74 from Indianapolis.

Kansas City: For most of their existence, they have been in a West Division despite a non-West Division team in Houston being located further West. And since the NFC North consists entirely of Midwestern teams, I thought the AFC North should too.

Miami: They have remained in the AFC East despite being the southernmost NFL team, and the presence of another AFC team in the state. Their location is far removed from the greater Boston, Buffalo and NYC areas. And in this alignment, not only are they in the same division as Jacksonville, their furthest division rival, Baltimore, is closer than the NY Jets, their closest AFC East rival.

Houston: Continuing from Kansas City, Houston is put into the West as the westernmost Central time team in their conference. Major League Baseball has it right, the Kansas City Royals are in the AL Central, and the Houston Astros in the AL West.

Carolina and Dallas: The fact that Dallas is in the NFC East despite being west of every non-West division team in their conference (and at one point, west of the St. Louis Rams) is a huge pet peeve of mine. Back when the Rams were in St. Louis, it would have made more sense to put them in the North, Dallas in the West, and Detroit, somewhat incongruently, in the East (Detroit is closer to the East coast than Dallas is though, and is in the Eastern Time Zone, unlike Dallas). Furthermore, Cowboys is a distinctively Western nickname. And had they been in the NFC West during the first 14 years of the 8-division setup, they would have shared a division with the 49ers, with whom they had many battles for NFC supremacy in the past. Now, Dallas would move into the NFC South and Carolina into the NFC East, as North Carolina is in fact an East Coast state unlike Texas. The Panthers would thus share their division with a Washington team like the Hornets and the Hurricanes (the latter also having NYC and Philly in their division), while the Cowboys would gain a division rival in a neighboring state for the first time, the Saints (the Mavericks and Pelicans also share their NBA division). The NFC South would also be unique in having at least one former member of each of their conference's other three divisions (East, North nee Central, and West) in their division.

khuddle

PF9, your ideas are interesting, but I must say, as a native of Washington DC, taking Dallas out of the NFC East is practically unthinkable. The Dallas-Washington rivalry is just about fiercest one in the NFL, and the rivalries between Dallas and Philly, Dallas and New York, are not far behind (though maybe this changes now that Washington are no longer known as the Redskins).

After watching the Chiefs-Saints game, where the Chiefs didn't even play that well and still won the game pretty handily, its clear that the rest of the league are all now playing for second place. Give that Chiefs team a bye week to heal minor injuries, then HFA throughout the remainder of the playoffs, I don't see anyone stopping Mahomes and that offence, do you? The Steelers are in a tailspin, the Bills and Browns are talented but still very young, and the powers in the NFC (the Saints and the Packers) are not on the same level.

Although a Chiefs-Browns AFC finals game would be very interesting, because the Browns have the offence to gun it out with the Chiefs. That would be a fascinating matchup.

PF9

Dallas is an Eastern city in only the loosest definition - that defining the Eastern US as the Eastern and Central Time Zones, which would put part of the Cowboys' home state in the Western United States as it is in the Mountain Time Zone.

I mean the NFL has always been weird with geography. For a good portion of the 1960s, they were fine with two Central Time teams - Dallas and St. Louis - being in the Eastern Division, and two Eastern Time teams - Baltimore and Detroit - being in the Western Division. Then Atlanta became part of the West in 1967 while New Orleans became part of the East.

I mean they fixed some of the geographic anomalies in 2002, but not all of them and created a new one with Indianapolis in the AFC South.

The Cowboys are currently the only DFW team not to have a regional rival in their division:

The Rangers have the Astros

The Stars have the Predators

And the Mavericks have the Rockets, Spurs, Grizzlies, and Pelicans - and in my proposal to add Seattle and Vancouver as 31 and 32 in the NBA, the Thunder would join this group

The Cowboys under my realignment would have the Saints

Dallas, culture wise, virtually has nothing in common with NYC, Philly, or DC.

Charlotte has more in common with those cities, but what they have in common with them is restricted by the fact that Charlotte is distinctively Southern, and the other three Northeastern. One thing is for certain - Charlotte is much closer to the Atlantic Ocean than Dallas is.

khuddle

PF9, your argument here is that rivalries are always regional. And sometime they just aren't.

Sometime they are dependent on the relative strength of two teams. For example, in the 1990s, the Cowboys and 49ers had a ferocious rivalry, largely because both teams were very strong during the same time period (early 90s to mid 90s), and also because they shared some common players (both Deion Sanders and Charles Hayley "betrayed" the 49ers, defecting to the Dallas Cowboys). The rivalry had nothing to do with geography.

Plenty of examples of this in other sports: Duke-Kentucky in college basketball. Nothing to do with location, or even the same conference (ACC for Duke, SEC for Kentucky). More to do that they were powers in the sport during the same time period. Boston Celtics - LA Lakers in the early 80s. Again, hardly to do with location, more to do with the contrasting styles of Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Detroit Red Wings - Colorado Avalanche in the NHL: one team a storied franchise with a rich tradition (Detroit), the other a brand new franchise with no tradition whatsoever. And yet they were huge rivals because they happened to be powerful at the same time. And because they had contrasting styles of play -- Red Wings were an offensive powerhouse led by Steve Yzerman, Sergei Federov and Brendan Shanahan, and Colorado were a defensive team largely dependent on the play of their Vezina winning goalie Patrick Roy

So rivalries don't depend soley on regional location, as you would contend. They depend on a lot of other factors as well.

jaylop97

Staff member
This year has been crazy, definitely have to say that the AFC wild card selection finals next week is going to be crazy with 4 potential contenders and 1 of them won't be making it. Same with the NFC East, 3 teams have a chance to claim the playoff birth for the NFC East, it's funny that Philadelphia was the winner last year and this year they got booted first, especially earlier in the year when everyone thought they'd win it.

That is in general 2020's NFL highlight for sure.

Road to Gotham

The Vikings were totally clueless on Defense against the Saints.
The Bears have roar back. Surprised that Trubisky is playing so well.
JETS win again. They are making things difficult for teams trying to make the playoffs.
Dolphins have the Best backup QB in the League.

PF9

Sometime they are dependent on the relative strength of two teams. For example, in the 1990s, the Cowboys and 49ers had a ferocious rivalry, largely because both teams were very strong during the same time period (early 90s to mid 90s), and also because they shared some common players (both Deion Sanders and Charles Hayley "betrayed" the 49ers, defecting to the Dallas Cowboys). The rivalry had nothing to do with geography.
The fact that the 49ers and Cowboys had such a huge rivalry in the 1990s was a huge argument in favor of taking the latter out of the NFC East in 2002, and putting them in the West with the 49ers.

BigFatHairyDeal

Defender of the Universe
Region-based divisions are least important in the NFL compared to other major sports leagues because of TV scheduling. If you have an East coast team play a West coast team, just schedule the game for 4 pm ET and everyone can watch. Compare this to MLB where there's no great catch time for LA to play NY on a Tuesday night where both coasts can watch the game in its entirety without badly disrupting work or sleep. It really must've sucked for Braves and Reds fans to be stuck in the old NL West pre-1993 and have 36 intra-divisional games played 3 timezones over. It's probably not much better for Houston or Texas these days, but at least now they have that intrastate rivalry that may some day catch on. Maybe.

I think Cowboys/Redskins/Giants/Eagles is mostly fine since you have decades of history. I don't think it's worth disrupting those rivalries.

If the NFL expands, I'd like to see it expand to 36 teams, and go back to six divisions. With each team playing 10 intradivisional games, like the old AFC Central did when Cleveland came back to the NFL, at least we're less likely to have losing teams make the playoffs. The downside is that fans won't be able to see as many teams across the league, but since the NFL is probably going to lengthen the regular season schedule anyway, at least there'll be more opportunities to add extra teams to the schedule.

Road to Gotham

Its PLAYOFF time. Super Wild Card Weekend.
I loath Tom Brady so much I am hoping the Washington Football Team wipes his smug smirk off his face before halftime.
I predict a 30-16 victory.
Otherwise I have no rooting interest in the other games. Just close games to keep things interesting to the finale whistle.

PF9

Region-based divisions are least important in the NFL compared to other major sports leagues because of TV scheduling. If you have an East coast team play a West coast team, just schedule the game for 4 pm ET and everyone can watch. Compare this to MLB where there's no great catch time for LA to play NY on a Tuesday night where both coasts can watch the game in its entirety without badly disrupting work or sleep. It really must've sucked for Braves and Reds fans to be stuck in the old NL West pre-1993 and have 36 intra-divisional games played 3 timezones over. It's probably not much better for Houston or Texas these days, but at least now they have that intrastate rivalry that may some day catch on. Maybe.

I think Cowboys/Redskins/Giants/Eagles is mostly fine since you have decades of history. I don't think it's worth disrupting those rivalries.

If the NFL expands, I'd like to see it expand to 36 teams, and go back to six divisions. With each team playing 10 intradivisional games, like the old AFC Central did when Cleveland came back to the NFL, at least we're less likely to have losing teams make the playoffs. The downside is that fans won't be able to see as many teams across the league, but since the NFL is probably going to lengthen the regular season schedule anyway, at least there'll be more opportunities to add extra teams to the schedule.
AFCE: Baltimore, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Miami, New England, NY Jets
AFCC: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Tennessee
AFCW: Denver, Houston, Las Vegas, LA Chargers, Oakland/San Jose, Portland

NFCE: Atlanta, Carolina, NY Giants, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, Washington
NFCC: Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, New Orleans, St. Louis
NFCW: Arizona, Dallas, LA Rams, Sacramento, San Francisco, Seattle

AdrenalineRush1996

Its PLAYOFF time. Super Wild Card Weekend.
I loath Tom Brady so much I am hoping the Washington Football Team wipes his smug smirk off his face before halftime.
I predict a 30-16 victory.
Otherwise I have no rooting interest in the other games. Just close games to keep things interesting to the finale whistle.
Well, at least the Patriots domination of the NFL has officially ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

MeTV went off the air for about 15 minutes, right during one of the last Svengoolie segments up until it was time for the news (which I get in my area instead of Star Trek).
Well Bakugan was made in Canada too, so...
I made another temporary rebrand now, this time for two weeks, to celebrate the 15th anniversary of CN City's European introduction (21 April 2006).

Includes a 2004-styled profile picture and a banner featuring the 2010-present ITC Lubalin font and a checkerboard-styled logo.

I also plan to occasionally post in the 10th international CN thread, and City era CN CEE schedules.
man i can't wait for The CW's version of the Powerpuff Girls

Featured Posts