"Star Trek: Prodigy" News & Discussion Thread

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Well, depends who will have the upper hand in everything and how much action will the show be. Disney managed to mistreat rival Star Wars and action show are dead these days, so there's that. Just hearing Star Trek and Nick in one sentence is weird - regardless if it's Nickelodeon or NickToons or TeenNick. It just sounds odd like it doesn't fit and is destined to fail from the start. Even MTV or a CBS channel would maybe be a better fit. But they can really just surprise us, though I'm not expecting much.

I do not think Star Trek has ever been pure action, there is a lot of cerebral problem-solving elements to Star Trek. There can be action in Star Trek, but there is a lot of talking, thinking your way out of problems and making peace with enemies or dealing with natural disasters. Star Trek is a harder sci-fi than say Star Wars, which is science fantasy.

Regardless, Star Trek is one of the 2 biggest franchises Viacom/CBS has (the other being Mission Impossible) and I think Star Trek needs to do more to appeal to kids to remain relevant, rather just the same old long in the tooth fans. CBS has promoting Star Trek a lot in recent years, Nick would be foolish to drop the ball on it (and Nick will get more kid viewers than CBS All Access) if CBS/Viacom want to viable in the future of entertainment.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It would be interesting to see what kind of villains will show up in this show (I assume there will be villains, even though you do not villains for a Star Trek story).

Star Trek is not a villain based franchise, but there have been some good ones and bad ones, generic Romulan commanders of the week, terrible movie villains like Shinzon, missteps like the Borg Queen, to great villains like Khan Noonien Singh and Gul Dukat.

Khan was a villain who had a legitimate grudge against Kirk but still destroyed his life in his search for revenge. Gul Dukat is a space fascist, who may not be pure evil and occasionally shows some redeeming quality but is ultimately a bad person, who committed war crimes and wanted to be praised for his actions, even though they are ultimately indefensible, Dukat is a villain who sees himself as the hero, Dukat was in denial but how evil he was, but ultimately admitted the truth of about himself, Dukat's character development involved him becoming more evil over time.

Dukat himself is likely a little too dark for a kids show (he is also dead or in Bajoran Hell right now), but just because this show is for kids, doesn't mean the villains cannot be interesting and complex, like Khan and Dukat.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Apparently, the name has been confirmed:

I wonder if they will add some classic Trek elements, not just the Borg or Tribbles, but will the characters go to the Mirror Universe and encounter evil versions of themselves with goatees?

Last edited:

Mandouga

Wall Street Journal? Says them. I think they're the ones who claimed that that The Legend of Zelda was going to adapted into a Netflix series, but even if it wasn't them, they've still made reports that have turned out to be...not entirely accurate.

Let's see what Nickelodeon and/or Paramount have to say.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Wall Street Journal? Says them. I think they're the ones who claimed that that The Legend of Zelda was going to adapted into a Netflix series, but even if it wasn't them, they've still made reports that have turned out to be...not entirely accurate.

Let's see what Nickelodeon and/or Paramount have to say.
I'm reporting this post for essentially calling The Overlord, who was kind enough to share this news with us, a liar.

Ghostbuster

Team Wolf Brothers!
Doesn't sound good for the future of Star Trek, including Nick's new series. :/ [edit: removed link]

Hopefully they're just rumours.

Last edited:

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
All I really want to know is when the series will premiere. The show has been in the works for over a year and still no word on a release date.

To put things in perspective, Viacom and CBS were still separated when the show was announced. Now they are one again.

Mandouga

Those are some serious claims. Still, I'll be taking them with a grain of salt. if they are in fact the case, though, especially the "hostile reception" one for Discovery and Picard, that would mean they brought it on themselves. I mean, did anyone really want to see one "mature audience" Star Trek series, let alone two? Well, some might have, I guess, but I don't blame the fans for reacting to those shows the way they did.

So the new animated series may be getting just one season. In any case, it looks like the franchise is in real trouble one way or the other...

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Youtuber Overlord DVD is a doomsayer who prophesied that Discovery would be cancelled after season 2. Why put tens of millions into a failed show unless they are desperate that it will eventually pay off. Maybe this time he's actually right, but he's cried wolf before. Star Trek Discovery's audience score was 51%, but season 2 got an even worse 36%. I agree with Mandouga that making Star Trek darker and more violent was a major reason why. I made it episode 3 of Discovery season 2 and discovered the show doesn't lighten up in season 2, despite Pike being a more lighthearted character than Lorca. Picard has a higher 73% approval rating, and it seems like Stewart's performance is carrying the show. No gore, yet, but some F bombs. There probably will be some in a future episode. There's plenty of evidence there is a backlash, but there seems to be fans, particularly new fans, who embrace what Discovery is and there are a minority of people who were angry that the Mandalorian didn't have squirting blood everywhere.

I would love it if there is a show that both kids and adults can see. It seems like with cable in general, shows are TV-Y7 or TV-MA, with hardly anything in between. Streaming has a few TV-PG shows like Lost in Space, but that show feels like an anomaly.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Cosmic Book News is an alt-right Comics Gate website, I would not trust a thing they say personally.

I just realized that this was Cosmic Book News and not the similarly named Comicbook.com, which usually wouldn't post mere rumor, especially from someone who is as big a doomsayer as Overlord DVD. Discovery is an easy target to attack and make fun of, but I would say that he's more an entertainment personality than a real news personality. I did lose respect for him when he eventually showed himself to be another right wing wingnut (which seems odd as I personally think Discovery is somewhat less preachy on social issues than the old series). Picard (the series) I guess is "SJW" for having an anti racism message about how bad it was to
let the Romulans die
. I guess anti hate stories aren't allowed anymore.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I just realized that this was Cosmic Book News and not the similarly named Comicbook.com, which usually wouldn't post mere rumor, especially from someone who is as big a doomsayer as Overlord DVD. Discovery is an easy target to attack and make fun of, but I would say that he's more an entertainment personality than a real news personality. I did lose respect for him when he eventually showed himself to be another right wing wingnut (which seems odd as I personally think Discovery is somewhat less preachy on social issues than the old series). Picard (the series) I guess is "SJW" for having an anti racism message about how bad it was to
let the Romulans die
. I guess anti hate stories aren't allowed anymore.

I think if people like DVD Overlord do not like social commentary in Star Trek, they do not understand one of the major points of this franchise, its like complaining about anti-bigotry messages in an X-Men story, that is the point of the X-Men.

Personally I think DVD Overlord is a grifter who panders for views from the alt-right and does not engage in good faith criticism, anything not negative would not get the same views.

I do not trust sites like ''Bounding Into Comics'' or ''Cosmic Book News'', they have an alt-right agenda and just make up stuff, but people can be tricked into thinking they are legitimate pop culture news sites. I wouldn't blame people for posting articles from these sites at first, but I think I should just make clear that these sites are not really trustworthy.

Regardless, I would hope Viacom/CBS would put a lot of effort into this new Star Trek show, in order to make this franchise more appealing to the next generation. Really Star Trek cannot thrive solely on the same old fan base, making a show suitable for kids will increase this franchise's fan base.

PicardMan

Staff member
Reporter
Bounding into Comics seems to be loved by google as it seems to often be one of the top results when looking up any geeky topic.

Personally I think DVD Overlord is a grifter who panders for views from the alt-right and does not engage in good faith criticism, anything not negative would not get the same views.

There seems to be a whole genre of "franchise x sucks" videos and the negativity seems to draw viewers like a moth to a flame. On one hand, it seems to be an alternative to media that seems to shill every franchise and portray it as perfect, but it seems like there's not much middle ground in media criticism and it feels like it's hard to find anything with a balanced perspective. Oddly, it seems like most basher channels worship The Witcher because the mainstream media didn't like it. Contrarianism must get views.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Bounding into Comics seems to be loved by google as it seems to often be one of the top results when looking up any geeky topic.

There seems to be a whole genre of "franchise x sucks" videos and the negativity seems to draw viewers like a moth to a flame. On one hand, it seems to be an alternative to media that seems to shill every franchise and portray it as perfect, but it seems like there's not much middle ground in media criticism and it feels like it's hard to find anything with a balanced perspective. Oddly, it seems like most basher channels worship The Witcher because the mainstream media didn't like it. Contrarianism must get views.

There is a middle ground between those 2 extremes. I like good faith constructive criticism, more than just gushing or nitpicking and trying to find reasons to hate something.

I like Discovery, but I do realize it has flaws and Picard is better so far. But Discovery is not the train wreck the alt-right doomsayers say it is.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Picard is amazing. What negative reception is he talking about?

I am not going to link to them, but there is the usual band of alt right Comic Gate reviewers who hate Picard because, well I don't know, they do not like it has allusions to modern issues through allegory or "SJWs" or whatever.

If you go through the video scroll of these "reviewers", you will see they complain about everything in their videoes, you will see almost nothing positive in their feed, which makes it pretty easy to dismiss these reviewers as grifters, IMO.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I am not going to link to them, but there is the usual band of alt right Comic Gate reviewers who hate Picard because, well I don't know, they do not like it has allusions to modern issues through allegory or "SJWs" or whatever.

If you go through the video scroll of these "reviewers", you will see they complain about everything in their videoes, you will see almost nothing positive in their feed, which makes it pretty easy to dismiss these reviewers as grifters, IMO.
Let me get this straight. Supposed Star Trek fans object to Star Trek referencing political issues through allegory. Do I have that right?

Some people are SO stupid.

Also, I want to point out that I'm subscribing to the service JUST for Picard. That means CBS is getting what they want. Even better, my 83 year old dad will almost certainly be subscribing soon. This will be the first streaming service he has ever subscribed to. Simply because he liked the Pilot he saw on YouTube so much.

He's got a few projects on the fire for now, but he'll probably get a subscription next month. I can't think of a bigger metric for Picard's success than the idea that it's attracted an 83 year old to subscribe to his first streaming service,

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts