"Star Trek: Prodigy" News & Discussion Thread

Daikun

Long Live the Fighter!
Staff member

The new “Star Trek” universe could be expanding beyond CBS All Access.

Variety has learned that CBS Television Studios and Nickelodeon are negotiating for a new “Star Trek” animated series aimed at kids.

Plot details on the new series are being kept under wraps, but it hails from writers Kevin and Dan Hageman. The Hagemans are known for their work on animated shows such as “Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu” and “Trollhunters.” They also worked on the story for the films “Hotel Transylvania,” “The Lego Movie,” and “The Lego Ninjago Movie.” They are repped by WME and Underground Management.

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
This would be better suited for All Access, as I said it needs family programming to be a major player in streaming.

Looks like another sign a remerger is inevitable too.

PF9

As I said in another thread this really should be on CBS All Access which needs family programming to be a major player in streaming.

Nickelodeonforever

Anybody wanna join the chat you can though this is only for star trek the animated series on nick not for anything else so strictly nothing non related to this show

Mandouga

I want to say that I hope this show reflects what Star Trek is really all about, even if it's being created specifically as a family show, but considering how they decided to do Star Trek: Discovery, I just don't know. I'll be direct. I'm not liking the idea of two different Star Treks (one for "mature audiences", and another for "everybody else")...

The Overlord

I want to say that I hope this show reflects what Star Trek is really all about, even if it's being created specifically as a family show, but considering how they decided to do Star Trek: Discovery, I just don't know. I'll be direct. I'm not liking the idea of two different Star Treks (one for "mature audiences", and another for "everybody else")...

I do not mind different Star Trek shows for different audiences, Star Trek is dynamic enough a franchise to appeal to different audiences.

Frankly, I think Star Trek Discovery tries too hard to appeal to adults sometimes (I do not need F bombs in Star Trek), so I wouldn't mind a more kid-friendly Star Trek and getting kids interested in the property is key to its survival.

I think a key question is can you make something appealing to kids that still captures the ethos of Star Trek.

You can't have a cartoon where Riker and Picard debate morality in a conference room for most of the episode, but a Star Trek show shouldn't be blowing up Romulan ships for 30 minutes either.

So what do people here think this Star Trek cartoon should be about and when should it be set?

Last edited:

LisaLoudFan30

I wonder if Nickelodeon is gonna make a new Mighty Mouse series in the future, since Nick is developing a Star Trek series that is a CBS properties. Because Nickelodeon was going to make a series called ''Curbside'' back in 1999, featuring the Terrytoons characters which is a failed pilot that never aired on television.

PF9

This show should be set in the Kelvin Universe, so that it's on TV for the first time.

SG-17

I do not mind different Star Trek shows for different audiences, Star Trek is dynamic enough a franchise to appeal to different audiences.

Frankly, I think Star Trek Discovery tries too hard to appeal to adults sometimes (I do not need F bombs in Star Trek), so I wouldn't mind a more kid-friendly Star Trek and getting kids interested in the property is key to its survival.

I think a key question is can you make something appealing to kids that still captures the ethos of Star Trek.

You can't have a cartoon where Riker and Picard debate morality in a conference room for most of the episode, but a Star Trek show shouldn't be blowing up Romulan ships for 30 minutes either.

So what do people here think this Star Trek cartoon should be about and when should it be set?
Frankly it should be a simple exploration show. Do something wild and have it set in like the 26th/27th/28th century in the Delta or Gamma Quadrant (or maybe another galaxy) on the Enterprise-L. Give it distance from the current canon and don't talk about stuff from earlier in the timeline.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
This show should be set in the Kelvin Universe, so that it's on TV for the first time.
The Kelvin Universe is deeply unpopular with fans. It should have died when the movies did.

If I were in charge, I would make the series a non-canon adaptation of the original series, with no continuity ties whatsoever. Continuity is getting tough enough to worry about what any kids cartoons are doing. Just have it be an unconnected alternate universe and be done with it.

Last edited:

Mandouga

Um, no.

The universe where...

Vulcan blows up, and Spock and Uhura are suddenly an item?

I don't think so.

The Overlord said:

Filmation's version* would like to have a word with you. In any case, I've never questioned the idea. The problem is, we are looking at the very real possibility of two different extremes, and Star Trek never was about one kind of extreme or another (and still isn't despite what the makers of "...Discovery" would like to think).

I will agree on thing. This new show they're planning? They had better not mess this one up.

Also, a new adaptation of the original show? A show set in the distant future even from the ("prime" version of the) franchise's perspective? Well, I suppose either of those COULD work, but we'll have to see.

I just hope that, in some way or another, it isn't another "educational" series that shows what happens when you disobey your "captain"'s orders, even if you have good reasons for it (get it?...). It would probably be even worse if this show were to do that as part of a focus on the life of the son or daughter of a crew member (or even senior officer) of a "no name" ship in the fleet (it would be even worse than that if it was in fact, a certain "famous" ship that starts with "E" and ends with "se"), and how he/or she copes with life on the ship and in (a holographic, or otherwise) school (you know, just like you or me), because then, it would just be another drama (nope; I'm not using the "c" word that ends with "y", and I think some of you know "why").

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if this show turns out to be another generic series of some kind that uses the franchise as a hidden metaphor of some kind, I'm not even going to bother.

*Which I understand aired on Nickelodeon at one point in the 1980s.

Last edited:

PF9

Nick wasn't the only network owned by VMN to air the 1970s cartoon.

TV Land aired it at one point too, as part of a block with other TV cartoons that eventually became owned by CBS. The other shows in the block were 2 Hanna Barbera series: Harlem Globetrotters (which CBS has always owned but has rarely been seen since the 70s), and The Fonz and the Happy Days Gang (based on Happy Days), along Baskhi's Mighty Mouse series, a Heckle and Jeckle TV cartoon and Filmation's The Brady Kids.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts