New Star Trek series coming to Nickelodeon

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Well, depends who will have the upper hand in everything and how much action will the show be. Disney managed to mistreat rival Star Wars and action show are dead these days, so there's that. Just hearing Star Trek and Nick in one sentence is weird - regardless if it's Nickelodeon or NickToons or TeenNick. It just sounds odd like it doesn't fit and is destined to fail from the start. Even MTV or a CBS channel would maybe be a better fit. But they can really just surprise us, though I'm not expecting much.
I do not think Star Trek has ever been pure action, there is a lot of cerebral problem-solving elements to Star Trek. There can be action in Star Trek, but there is a lot of talking, thinking your way out of problems and making peace with enemies or dealing with natural disasters. Star Trek is a harder sci-fi than say Star Wars, which is science fantasy.

Regardless, Star Trek is one of the 2 biggest franchises Viacom/CBS has (the other being Mission Impossible) and I think Star Trek needs to do more to appeal to kids to remain relevant, rather just the same old long in the tooth fans. CBS has promoting Star Trek a lot in recent years, Nick would be foolish to drop the ball on it (and Nick will get more kid viewers than CBS All Access) if CBS/Viacom want to viable in the future of entertainment.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
It would be interesting to see what kind of villains will show up in this show (I assume there will be villains, even though you do not villains for a Star Trek story).

Star Trek is not a villain based franchise, but there have been some good ones and bad ones, generic Romulan commanders of the week, terrible movie villains like Shinzon, missteps like the Borg Queen, to great villains like Khan Noonien Singh and Gul Dukat.

Khan was a villain who had a legitimate grudge against Kirk but still destroyed his life in his search for revenge. Gul Dukat is a space fascist, who may not be pure evil and occasionally shows some redeeming quality but is ultimately a bad person, who committed war crimes and wanted to be praised for his actions, even though they are ultimately indefensible, Dukat is a villain who sees himself as the hero, Dukat was in denial but how evil he was, but ultimately admitted the truth of about himself, Dukat's character development involved him becoming more evil over time.

Dukat himself is likely a little too dark for a kids show (he is also dead or in Bajoran Hell right now), but just because this show is for kids, doesn't mean the villains cannot be interesting and complex, like Khan and Dukat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fone Bone

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Apparently, the name has been confirmed:

I wonder if add some classic Trek elements, not just the Borg or Tribbles, but will the characters go to the Mirror Universe and encounter evil versions of themselves with goatees?

Reactions: Fone Bone