New Star Trek series coming to Nickelodeon

Latest News & Videos

Sep 6, 2015
The idea of a Star Trek series for Nickelodeon is quite interesting to say the least. I believe there was a 1973 Star Trek Animated Series that aired on Nickelodeon during the mid-1980s upon looking it up.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Nothing like the '70s cartoon, what an ambiguous statement. That says more about what it isn't than what it is. Still worried this is code word for "nothing like Gene Rodennberry's Trek." There's so little concrete info about what to expect for upcoming projects and what news we get is so dang cryptic. Is it that hard to give the new shows with Section 31 and Picard actual titles or release dates? I've been hearing rumors that the production of Picard show with no name is going rough, and I know that those rumors were actual fact for developing Discovery's first season (remember the release date delay? That's probably why there isn't a release date now that I think about it because fans were disappointed having to wait longer.) Still wonder if all four shows will actually be made or if some will go to development hell. It's hard to be excited when you don't know which things are actually happening.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
The 70's cartoon was dreadful and most people knew it. I'm pretty sure that the producer saying it's nothing like the 70's show is simply saying it won't suck.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Takao

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
The 70's cartoon was dreadful and most people knew it. I'm pretty sure that the producer saying it's nothing like the 70's show is simply saying it won't suck.
Never seen the animated series, so it's hard for me to comment on that remark. Wikipedia's article seems to imply that it was critically acclaimed. It has an okay looking 7.5 IMDB score, which is the same score as the controversial Enterprise. Is it really that bad?

Reactions: MegasMilo379

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
In my opion, TAS was often corny, but not really any more than TOS and it was able to do stories that were impossible on live-action shows until recent years. Sure, it was cheap as hell (if you can't get over stiff animation and limited voice cast, I completely understand) and there were some truly terrible episodes, but Yesteryear, One of Our Planets is Missing and The Slaver Weapon can stand next to some of the best TOS episodes.

While it probably doesn't say much, TAS is the smartest 70's cartoon I have ever seen and, in terms of Star Trek shows, I would put it above Voyager and Enterprise.

Reactions: MegasMilo379

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
It's above Enterprise, but that's not saying much. The animation is not just dreadful. Considering the stories being told, the color palate feels especially mundane, although that is true for all cartoons made in the 1970's. And yes, it was the smartest cartoon in the 1970's. Which is again not saying much. The Original Series reputation as cerebral was overstated (and how) and this is nowhere near as smart as that.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
It's above Enterprise, but that's not saying much. The animation is not just dreadful. Considering the stories being told, the color palate feels especially mundane, although that is true for all cartoons made in the 1970's. And yes, it was the smartest cartoon in the 1970's. Which is again not saying much. The Original Series reputation as cerebral was overstated (and how) and this is nowhere near as smart as that.
I will say, I think TAS had a few interesting story ideas, (like the episode that explored Spock's childhood on Vulcan for the first time and the one where Kirk, Spock and a bunch of other aliens teamed up to stop a galactic war), but the whole show was held down by its production value, bad animation and a tiny voice cast (I like the TOS cast, but only James Doohan was a really talented voice actor, everyone else could do their own voice and that's it, having Nichelle Nichols and Majel Barret voice every female guest star got old quick), which undermined any sort of stories they were trying to tell.

This new show will have a bigger budget so it will have better animation and a way bigger voice cast.

I only hope Nick will not mistreat this show, sending it off to Nicktoons to die as it does with shows like Harvey Beaks and Welcome to the Wayne, if it does not get Spongebob ratings right away. Star Trek is one of my favorite franchises, I hope this would do what Star Wars Clone Wars did for Star Wars.

Ghostbuster

Inside No. 9
Oct 23, 2015
London, UK
Alex Kurtzman gave a few updates about Nick's new Star Trek series during a podcast with Deadline.

In the podcast, Kurtzman said:

"That’s a show that’s for kids, younger. Full CG animation. It’s going to be incredibly cinematic. We just started seeing [story]boards this week. It looks like, wow. It’s on par with "Love, Death, and Robots" in terms of beauty and lighting and cinema, so it’s a a really different feel, and Nickelodeon has been wildly supportive and I think very excited to bring a new energy to TV, you know, in animation."

The show is also targeting a much younger age bracket, which Kurtzman says fans has Star Wars to thank for. In general, audiences for Star Trek develop as young as 9-12 years of age.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
So which alien species would you like to see in this series, there are a lot in the Star Trek mythos:

Should they use existing aliens or make up new aliens?

Most of the star Trek alien species either look like humans or guys with makeup jobs (though I do think the makeup on some aliens like the Cardassians and the Jem'Hadar are effective in making them look like aliens), but you can't change iconic alien designs and make say the Romulans look different, because its animation.

That being said, there are some non-humanoid aliens, mainly Species 8472, the Tholians (who look like sentient crystals) and the various energy creatures we see throughout the franchise. Maybe the Tholians or Species 8472 can play a bigger role or have the aliens from Star Trek TAS show up and be main characters:

Those are some aliens that do not look like humans, a cat person and an alien with several different limbs.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Couldn't they do both?...
Sure, it depends on the focus of the show, what they would want to go with, new aliens can be visually dynamic and add new blood to the series, while the old alien species are iconic and it can be easier to write for aliens who are well established.

With a new alien species, you have to make them compelling and Star Trek started running out of ideas in the mid-90s for aliens species, the Kazon from Voyager were just bargain bin Klingons.

A new species has to be more than just cool visuals, they have to be compelling a civilization. Though perhaps they could make up a new alien crew member for this team of teen rebels, it depends on whether we are talking about main heroic characters or alien villains they may face.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
What will be the time frame as to the setting of the series? Will it take place before TOS like ENT and DSC or after like TNG, DS9 and VOY?

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Kind of a related article to this show, CBS wants to make Star Trek more relevant to a younger generation:

Star Trek started in the 60s, but its big heyday was the mid-80s to the mid-90s, so I think that fanbase is getting older. The 2009 movie reinvigorated the franchise for a bit, but those movies fizzled out in 2016. I like Discovery, but it is not very kid-friendly.

So the purpose of this cartoon likely is to generate more interest in the franchise among kids.

I wonder if they will succeed, kids watched the movies and TNG back in the 80s and 90s, but that franchise does go from goofy to dark and back again at the drop of a hat. TNG had episodes where some of the crew are aged to be kids again, while other episodes dealt with the Borg or alien parasites taking over people's bodies with lots of body horror.

Reactions: Fone Bone

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Currently, the Star Trek shows are rerunning on BBC America, a channel not a lot of people get. All the Star Treks are on Netflix, but there's too many Stranger Things and Fuller Houses distracting kids from discovering Star Trek. The odds of kids discovering it on Neflix are quite frankly very low.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Framingham, MA
Currently, the Star Trek shows are rerunning on BBC America, a channel not a lot of people get. All the Star Treks are on Netflix, but there's too many Stranger Things and Fuller Houses distracting kids from discovering Star Trek. The odds of kids discovering it on Neflix are quite frankly very low.
To be honest, with the notable and welcome exception of Deep Space Nine, I don't find the sequel shows all that relevant for what's going on in the world today. The original series had television's first interracial kiss. The next four sequel series refused to even have a single character who was actually gay. The shows feel dated in their unfunny jokes and unlikable secondary characters too. I think Star Trek would do better to try and reach a new generation with material THEY can relate to, instead of believing they'd be willing to catch up with a bunch of shows that are outright corny by today's standards. We who grew up in the 80's and 90's had a fine run of Star Trek for ourselves. It's totally cool with me if the current generation gets the same privilege.

Who knows? Maybe their versions will seem dated in 30 years too.

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
I think the best of TNG still holds up. Heck, looking at what is going on in US, episodes like The Drumhead and Chain of Command, to name a few, are probably more relevant today than ever before.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
I didn't get into Star Trek until the G4 reruns in the mid 2000s and I found the dated TNG cooler than the then contemporary Enterprise, which just ended a year before said reruns. There's this assumption that kids hate all old things but I can't find any proof its true and kids' networks seem to believe that rerunning anything 10+ years old is poison (except 20 year old Spongebob reruns). There was that time Disney XD attempted to air David Tennant Doctor Who and it seemed to flop spectacularly, getting yanked off within a month. Content and kid friendliness by American standards are probably bigger factors. Anyway, this show probably will reach out to the Voltron reboot crowd.