New Star Trek series coming to Nickelodeon

Latest News & Videos

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
I know there was a Star Trek OEL manga, but was that actually any good?

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Look, dumbfoolkid5, it just sounds to me like you're biased in favor of the anime style, if not in favor of it being a Japanese anime itself, or maybe it's not about bias? Either way, it just seems like you think this show won't be worth watching otherwise, or maybe that's not what you're implying exactly, but that's what it sounds like to me, and I don't think that's fair, really.

I'd like it to be 2D myself, but I won't kick or scream or anything if it's CGI either.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShadowBeast

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
And what about that Star Wars short? Or Batman Gotham Knight? Or Batman Ninja?
I like to see Star Trek get the same treatment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I feel like Star Wars is more like anime then Star Trek, Star Wars is grand space opera and ultimately science fantasy.

Star Trek is more hard sci-fi and has more common with sci-fi literature from the 50s and 60s, at least originally. It's not perfect on that score, with lots of bad technobabble, but Star Trek is more grounded then Star Wars, in general, IMO.

I wouldn't have a problem with an anime style, but it's not my first choice (and anime versions of say Picard and Riker would be kinda freaky). I wouldn't mind a semi-realistic character model type, though one that could be done on a TV budget.

I wonder what aspects of Star Trek would work for a kids cartoon and which would not be included. Would the Borg be too scary for kids or would that be fine?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fone Bone

dumbfoolkid5

Apr 15, 2012
New Orleans LA. US
Any Star Trek series that would be more animation based than story based would be doing it wrong. That's the precise reason anime is a terrible fit.
What? Well anyway, at this point it shouldn't matter what style they use as long as it's not Teen Titans or Teen Titans Go style and the cgi is no cartoonish like Star Wars or How to train your Dragon and others like it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

TheMisterManGuy

Oct 23, 2014
One important thing about this show is that it's the first time Nickelodeon and CBS collaborated since Viacom and CBS split in 2006. Prior to this, Nickelodeon produced CBS' Saturday morning lineup for the early 2000s.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I think an interesting question is what type of social commentary will they do in this cartoon if any. Social commentary has always been Star Trek's bread and butter and not all of it is very subtle, ''Let This Be Your Last Battlefield'' is about as subtle as a brick when it comes to its anti-racism message.

Obviously, some of the social commentaries from the live action show wouldn't fly on a kid's cartoon (like the original series episode featuring a Nazi planet), but you can still deal with bigotry or other such topics on this show.

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Obviously, some of the social commentaries from the live action show wouldn't fly on a kid's cartoon (like the original series episode featuring a Nazi planet), but you can still deal with bigotry or other such topics on this show.
Considering the stereotype of children's television being preachy and the fact that even adult television series seem to be preachy about diversity and inclusivity, they probably will have that type of message, which seems to be a lesson some people still haven't taken to heart yet if you look to the real world. Super serious topics such as Nazism will probably only be covered allegorically rather than literally. It's still shocking that Hey Arnold got to have Adolf Hitler in one episode and in a comedic manner at that. Nickelodeon's censors seem fairly lax in some ways.

Reactions: MegasMilo379

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Considering the stereotype of children's television being preachy and the fact that even adult television series seem to be preachy about diversity and inclusivity, they probably will have that type of message, which seems to be a lesson some people still haven't taken to heart yet if you look to the real world. Super serious topics such as Nazism will probably only be covered allegorically rather than literally. It's still shocking that Hey Arnold got to have Adolf Hitler in one episode and in a comedic manner at that. Nickelodeon's censors seem fairly lax in some ways.
I know they would not have Nazis in a Nickelodeon cartoon, I am using that as an example of social commentary would be used on the live action shows that would not be permitted on this show, which is fine by me.

We see regimes in Star Trek with bigoted and authoritarian outlooks, like the Cardassian Union and the Dominion and something like ''Last Be Your Last Battlefield'' dealt with alien bigotry, but was a pretty on the nose allegory for real-world racism and Voyager was pretty heavy-handed in its social commentary, with aliens called Malon killing other aliens, by dumping toxic waste in their space. Now not all social commentary is equally well handled or executed, but it is Star Trek's bread and butter and I do think you can make social commentary that would work in a kid's cartoons.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Looks like they officially green-lit the show.
The new CG-animated series will follow a group of lawless teens who discover a derelict Starfleet ship and use it to search for adventure, meaning and salvation.
As Variety previously reported, the series hails from Kevin and Dan Hageman, the pair behind “Trollhunters” and “Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu,” as well as Eye Animation Productions (CBS’ new animation arm), Secret Hideout, and Roddenberry Entertainment. Ramsey Naito, EVP of animation production and development at Nickelodeon, will oversee the show.

Reactions: Fone Bone

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Not really surprised at the teenage protagonists, but the idea of them being space delinquents seems like a very interesting idea when it seemed like Nickelodeon would go for innocent paragon teens. Still curious as to where it will be on the dark/lighthearted scale, but the early hints seem to suggest that this will be more darker and drama driven than some expected. I assume the tone will probably be similar to Clone Wars or Avatar the Last Airbender when it comes to drama/humor.

JTZ

Aug 30, 2017
Could be similar in tone to the space season of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles(2012).

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Except in Space Cases, they weren't "lawless teens"...they were failing students whose teacher didn't believe in them and was convinced they wouldn't amount to anything (they did prove her wrong...mostly; however, that show ended up having a different problem, but anyway...).

In any case, the whole "lawless teens" thing could go in any direction you could think of, but we'll see what happens once the show premieres.

In any case, we still need to know what the continuity is...

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
We still don't know what time period it will be set in. That's an interesting thing to still speculate about.

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
On the other hand, they probably only did it in order to prove her wrong (it's been a while, admittedly). That is, they were desperate to do it (prove her wrong, I mean) because she never believed in them in the first place. However, I don't see that as a "two wrongs don't make a right" sort of thing (it's more like "cause and effect"; there's kind of a difference). Also, it wasn't quite a "this never should have happened" type of thing, either. Either that, or it was left vague, if anything.

As for this new Star Trek show, we'll have to see what happens here.