New Star Trek series coming to Nickelodeon

Latest News & Videos

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Thinking about my first Star Trek experience. First Contact was the first movie I saw as a little kid in the 90s and this scene scared the tar out of me:
Star Trek would probably have to be adapted to be kid friendly as I don't know how scary they are allowed to be. We still don't know the time period it will be set in. If it's the TNG era, I wonder how they'll adapt the borg. That clip admittedly is pretty mild in the scare factor compared to other scenes.
I think the big thing with the Borg does not overuse them, they are way scarier when used sparingly, if they show up all the time, they start becoming generic villains and lose their menace.

I do think you can do the Borg in a kid-friendly setting, the Borg are sinister, but they are not villains who are too dark to work on a kids cartoon, Borg stories are not overly gory, their horror is somewhat more subtle.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I think the big thing with the Borg does not overuse them, they are way scarier when used sparingly, if they show up all the time, they start becoming generic villains and lose their menace.

I do think you can do the Borg in a kid-friendly setting, the Borg are sinister, but they are not villains who are too dark to work on a kids cartoon, Borg stories are not overly gory, their horror is somewhat more subtle.
Voyager overused, then ruined the Borg. I'm sick of them at this point.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Voyager overused, then ruined the Borg. I'm sick of them at this point.
That's more than fair, but it actually has been a while since the Borg has shown up in media, the last time they appeared on TV (rather than comics and novels that would havea smaller audience) was the Enterprise episode Regeneration that aired back in 2003. Kids today wouldn't have grown up with the Borg being overexposed like kids in the 90s did. The Borg may be new and interesting for kids today.

The problem is you do not want to repeat the mistakes of the past. Due to their power and nature, there is a limit with stories can do with the Borg, though I have heard the novels tried to do some new things with them, I have read some of them and they are interesting.

But it's not necessary for the Borg to appear in this show, but it could be interesting if the writers have a good idea for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fone Bone

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Given that the Hageman brothers are involved in it, I think this is going to be a good animated series.
I had to look them up. The Lego movie is well made, but quite different than Star Trek. It's hard to think of very many serious space opera cartoons made recently besides Clone Wars and Voltron. There have been a few comedic ones back in the 00s, like Futurama and Duck Dodgers, but that was a while ago. I'm wondering how they can do space opera?

AdrenalineRush1996

May 13, 2016
I had to look them up. The Lego movie is well made, but quite different than Star Trek. It's hard to think of very many serious space opera cartoons made recently besides Clone Wars and Voltron. There have been a few comedic ones back in the 00s, like Futurama and Duck Dodgers, but that was a while ago. I'm wondering how they can do space opera?
They also were involved in Trollhunters.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Voyager actually made the Borg better by fleshing them out as something more than an unstoppable boogeyman.
I disagree, I felt like Voyager turned the Borg into generic bad guys and made them lose all their menace. When Janeway talks to the Borg Queen on a viewscreen, it has the same impact as Picard talking to some random Romulan Commander, it lacks the menace and uniqueness of a wall of Borg drones shouting at you from a view screen.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I disagree, I felt like Voyager turned the Borg into generic bad guys and made them lose all their menace. When Janeway talks to the Borg Queen on a viewscreen, it has the same impact as Picard talking to some random Romulan Commander, it lacks the menace and uniqueness of a wall of Borg drones shouting at you from a view screen.
They normalized them in other words. They became just another average alien race like the Klingons and the Ferengi instead of the "Event Villians" they used to be.

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
They normalized them in other words. They became just another average alien race like the Klingons and the Ferengi instead of the "Event Villians" they used to be.
Yeah, that's why I feel like for a longer story arc, someone like Romulans and the Cardassians work better, they are not as powerful or as scary, but being on more even footing with the Federation means they do not lose their menace if the Federation manages to defeat them. They can be underhanded and treacherous, they can manipulate events and people, Romulans and Cardassians would do things the Borg wouldn't, the Borg have no use for schemes or plots. The Dominion is in between the Borg and the Romulans, maybe not as powerful as the Borg, but more powerful than the Romulans and not afraid to get underhanded and play politics.

The Borg coming onto the scene should be like the Apocalypse, if the Borg shows up, it should be a season finale with a lot of build up. I think the Borg can work in a kids cartoon, but do not overuse them like last time. I do think the novels did some interesting stuff with the Borg, I read a short story where criminals wanted to create new Borg drones to use as weapons after the Collective was destroyed and I heard of an event novel where the Collective is destroyed, after trying to destroy all organic life, deciding other civilizations were more trouble then they were worth.

This show can also try some new villains or take an obscure villain group and make them the big villains of the show.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
Maybe Nick can bring back reruns of the 70s cartoon go along with this new one

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
As a Star Trek fan they overused both Q and the Borg. Deep Space 9, is imho, the best of the sequel series, but I do like Voyager. The writers got lazy and honestly there can be some "Hollywood scheming" in bringing back actors. I happened to watch the full run of DS9 and Blake's 7 back-to-back years ago. Those are the best of Star Trek. ;)

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Maybe Nick can bring back reruns of the 70s cartoon go along with this new one
In many ways that show is as dated as disco, the animation is terrible by today's standards and the tiny voice cast is distracting, plus anyone wants to see this show through several streaming options.

Nobody would watch the 70's rerun. Nobody watched it when it was on the air either.
I will say that despite its bad production value and some bad episodes, it had its moments, that cartoon helped expand Spock's backstory, there were episodes that had fun ideas like traveling back to the Salem witch trials with an alien that looks like the devil, but is actually a nice guy and Kirk, Spock and same random alien guest star guests on a quest to stop a war by retrieving stolen national treasure that is sacred from former warlike aliens who are now peaceful, but do not like it when people mess with their sacred objects.

So some ideas were interesting but were hindered by bad production and the fact that a lot of the other episodes were pretty bad.

I actually wouldn't mind if they put in M'Ress and Arex, (the two more alien crew members added to the TOS crew by the cartoon series, but never seen in the main cannon again, though showing up in novels and comics) in this new show. Not that is absolutely necessary, these two are pretty obscure and were not the best characters around in the cartoon, but their presence could be fun and the point of animation would be too have more over the top characters appear on the show that would be tricky in a live action TV show.

I think I would like to see aliens who are not just guys with bumpy foreheads can be the bad guys, like the Tholians, the Gorn or Species 8472. You hardly ever see those guys, because they are too expensive for live-action TV, but in a cartoon, you can have them appear as much as you want. TAS had a few good ideas that were undermined by bad writing and bad production values, I hope this show has great production values that will serve some great stories.

As a Star Trek fan they overused both Q and the Borg. Deep Space 9, is imho, the best of the sequel series, but I do like Voyager. The writers got lazy and honestly there can be some "Hollywood scheming" in bringing back actors. I happened to watch the full run of DS9 and Blake's 7 back-to-back years ago. Those are the best of Star Trek. ;)
Yeah, if they want to bring back John de Lancie to do Q for an episode, that's fine, but I wouldn't want see him all the time. If Q doesn't show up, I am fine with that too.

I think rather see some of the more alien looking aliens, like Tholians, the Gorn or Species 8472 be the villains, just to show off some cool animation.

Last edited:

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
I know they are controversial, but how would people feel about the Xindi appearing?
I actually liked the Xindi, I think Enterprise actually got good by season 3. Most of the Xindi leaders were sympathetic because they only wanted to destroy humanity because they had been tricked by beings they saw as gods into thinking humanity was going to destroy them (and thus Archer was able to convince them of their mistake because they were reasonable), except for Commander Dolim, who is one of the more evil villains in Star Trek lore.

The thing is as villains, I am not sure what you can do with them, without rehashing their Enterprise story, I think they were mainly interesting because of almost all of them, except for Dolim, were only enemies of humanity because they had been tricked by powerful aliens and thus Archer was able to use reason to convince them to abandon their quest to destroy humanity. So you either repeat something already done or find a new hook for them or they just end up as generic bad guys and then you can replace them with anyone.

I guess they can be allies of the Federation instead of enemies, the fact they are 5 species in one civilization is kinda interesting, but they would need a good story purpose for them to be there.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
What I'm predicting is that this series is going to borrow from the iconic 2 (original and TNG) but not the lesser known 4 (DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery). I was surprised that Star Trek Beyond referenced Enterprise in spite of being the most divisive Star Trek before Discovery at least tied for that honor.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
What I'm predicting is that this series is going to borrow from the iconic 2 (original and TNG) but not the lesser known 4 (DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, Discovery). I was surprised that Star Trek Beyond referenced Enterprise in spite of being the most divisive Star Trek before Discovery at least tied for that honor.
Enterprise wasn't divisive. Enterprise simply sucked.

There are also a reference to Scotty accidentally killing Admiral Archer's dog in the first reboot.

Reactions: the greenman

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Enterprise wasn't divisive. Enterprise simply sucked.
It has a small fanbase. My mother loves it. Personally I found the show, very flawed, especially seasons 1 and 2 but I found some redeeming qualities to make me give the show a mediocre 5/10 rather than an awful score. It's still the least good series.

Reactions: MegasMilo379