New Star Trek series coming to Nickelodeon

Latest News & Videos

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Discovery's edgyness is pretty controversial, but I am worried about the other extreme. Nickelodeon and fart jokes. Well, the network has done great adventure series with detailed world building, like Avatar the Last Airbender, but I'm worried about it being one of the crappy Nickeledeon cartoons...in space.

I just want a show that can be hopeful and optimistic yet serious and deep. The tone of Star Trek shouldn't be that hard to do.

This will definitely get a wider audience than Discovery because the paywall and TV-MA rating limits viewers.

JTZ

Aug 30, 2017
Discovery's edgyness is pretty controversial, but I am worried about the other extreme. Nickelodeon and fart jokes.
There may be some and the show might be more targeted towards a younger audience, but I seriously can't believe they'll make a Star Trek series about people farting in space.

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
Actually agree with most of your post, Mandouga. Except for this.
Kids did not like the original Star Trek cartoon at all. It was mainly watched by adults. That's why NBC canceled it.
Same thing that befell cartoons like Animaniacs and Pinky and the Brain (with one key exception - kids actually DID like those shows)

And one more thing - Nickelodeon is quite capable of making serious cartoon series. We've seen that with Avatar and Korra. And to a lesser extent Winx Club (though Nick didn't fully own that one, and doesn't finance the series anymore).

PF9

Jul 9, 2008
Ohio
Also, I said that Nick can do serious cartoons. Avatar, Korra and to a lesser extent Winx Club are examples (the latter wasn't fully owned by them though, and Nick no longer co-produces).

Reactions: Fone Bone

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
I'm wondering about the timeslot. TMNT 2012 got a Saturday morning slot with no reruns anywhere else. It seems like Nickelodeon will probably do that to this because it's an actiony cartoon. How much hope is there for it to air in the afternoons or evenings?

kanc

Sep 9, 2013
I'm wondering about the timeslot. TMNT 2012 got a Saturday morning slot with no reruns anywhere else. It seems like Nickelodeon will probably do that to this because it's an actiony cartoon. How much hope is there for it to air in the afternoons or evenings?
actually TMNT did try weekday airings but that didn't last song

kanc

Sep 9, 2013
That must have been a pretty brief period. What time on weekdays and how long did it last?
2pm half hour (after Nick jr block ended), i don't remember exactly how long it lasted, maybe a week or two weeks?

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
2pm half hour (after Nick jr block ended), i don't remember exactly how long it lasted, maybe a week or two weeks?
That is really brief and early enough in the afternoon that most kids are probably still in school. That was a crappy timeslot. No wonder it only lasted a week or two. I'm just hoping Star Trek gets a decent timeslot and a few reruns.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Nov 1, 2013
As long as it has a hot catgirl Im in

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Mandouga

Jun 27, 2007
Newington, CT, USA
Nickelodeon is quite capable of making serious cartoon series. We've seen that with Avatar and Korra.
...which ended up taking themselves too seriously in the long run. Star Trek is something that takes itself seriously, but not too seriously (unlike Discovery, of course; Deep Space Nine, and some of the movies did come close, though). Yes, there have been occasions where characters get killed off, which probably won't happen in this new show, but still.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
...which ended up taking themselves too seriously in the long run. Star Trek is something that takes itself seriously, but not too seriously (unlike Discovery, of course; Deep Space Nine, and some of the movies did come close, though). Yes, there have been occasions where characters get killed off, which probably won't happen in this new show, but still.
DS9 didn't take itself too seriously. And for the most part I think the movies didn't take themselves seriously enough. :p

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
DS9 didn't take itself too seriously. And for the most part I think the movies didn't take themselves seriously enough. :p
The advantage of a TV series is the ability to balance multiple tones. You can have a silly episode like the Trouble with Tribbles and a drama like City on the Edge of Forever. Movies generally have to have a consistent tone, like Star Trek 4 (silly or not, I love it) or boring and dull like the first. Avatar had plenty of comedy in my opinion, like the cabbage guy. It could be great and should, but we'll see what we get.

Reactions: MegasMilo379

The Overlord

Aug 5, 2002
Visit site
Depends on the episode or movie, sure the Ferengi episodes of DS9 were silly, but episodes like Duet, Waltz, Far Beyond the Stars, In the Pale Moon Light, etc, were very grim and serious.

I love some of those episodes, but they are episodes that would appeal to adults and I think kids would find uninteresting and parents would think it inappropriate for kids (Far Beyond the Stars has Sisko living as an African American writer in the 50s and dealing with systematic racism, Duet has Kira discuss genocide and war crimes with a suspected Cardassian war criminal for most the episode, In the Pale Moon Light has Sisko commit criminal acts for what he thinks is the greater good and Waltz has Dukat suffer a mental breakdown and has Dukat reveal he wished he had committed mass genocide while occupying Bajor).

The movies are likewise different, Star Trek 4 is fairly light hearted (Star Trek 5 is just bad), but Star Trek 2, Star Trek 6 and First Contact are pretty serious and Star Trek Nemesis tried so hard to be dark and serious that it made the movie joyless.

I think there is a balance, I wouldn't want a Star Trek cartoon just to be a Star Wars copy (I like Star Trek better as a property for a reason), but you have to make a cartoon that kids would find exciting, I hope they could balance action and even some comedy, with social commentary and some interesting sci-fi concepts.

Edit: That being said, there are a lot of Star Trek episodes and movies that would be fine for kids, I think you can make a kid-friendly Star Trek and still have it be Star Trek.

Last edited:

PicardMan

Staff member
Nov 9, 2016
Thinking about my first Star Trek experience. First Contact was the first movie I saw as a little kid in the 90s and this scene scared the tar out of me:
Star Trek would probably have to be adapted to be kid friendly as I don't know how scary they are allowed to be. We still don't know the time period it will be set in. If it's the TNG era, I wonder how they'll adapt the borg. That clip admittedly is pretty mild in the scare factor compared to other scenes.