New Redwall animated series and film heading to Netflix

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
I personally would go with both. I simply don't have trust in Disney for adaptations much anymore (not that they were ever trying to be faithful). In terms of fantasy and science fiction in 21st century film, we have seen the technology develop to a point we can see anything on screen.

I was going to develop a thread on the subject of all the Disney film book adaptations they made (at least older animated fare but we could toss in John Carter or Narnia), the studio could redo if they want to, and make it better. In fact they have automatic franchises. However, the older regime made choices in the past that altered stories and turned them into something that wasn't reflective of the books. Not saying that they were all terrible or anything.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
Yeah, Redwall is for kids, but older kids like later Harry Potter books. Most of the villains are murderous psychopaths who are punished for their villainy with a gruesome end, Disney wouldn't handle that well.

The PBS series tonned things down here and there, but got many of the major points right.
I wonder what an adaptation of Redwall would've looked like if it was made by Don Bluth, since he made movies with mice in it? Would it have been like The Secret of NIMH?

harry580

I wonder what an adaptation of Redwall would've looked like if it was made by Don Bluth, since he made movies with mice in it? Would it have been like The Secret of NIMH?
well, he might make redwall since he has that new studio he set up

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

well, he might make redwall since he has that new studio he set up

We shall see, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that Netflix would hire Bluth, his style could work with adapting Redwall, but Netflix may hire some new up and comer animator.

I thought the Nelvana series was competently animated, though had some animation glitches and errors (dead characters showing up in crowd scenes) and they often got away with as much violence as they did by having it take place slightly off-screen, having the camera pan away at the last second where a sword or an arrow strikes and they show character reactions and sound effects (but there was a lot of on-screen death too), I would curious how they would handle the violence in these Netflix projects.

With the Martin the Warrior series, I wonder if they adapt the Legend of Luke, the story of Martin's father fighting pirates.

Minor spoilers for the book:

A vicious pirate Vilu Daskar kills most of Luke's tribe and his wife for fun, Luke abandons a young Martin to be cared for by his grandmother so he can go out and get revenge on Daskar, which resulted in Badrang the Tyrant killing the grandmother and enslaving Martin, so Luke is a bad father.

Martin appears as a ghost in most of the series, but he appears in the flesh in Mossflower, Martin the Warrior and as a bit appearance in the Legend of Luke, but that is mostly Luke's story.

The tricky thing with Redwall is the books feature new settings and characters almost every time, Redwall and its mythos is the only real reoccurring element.

The darkest aspect of these books is how utterly cruel some of the villains are and will gruesome their ends are, to punish them for their evil ways.

the greenman

As we all know, Bluth got into it with Disney back in the day and honestly (and obviously) stretched out well on his own. Would've been interesting to see his take on a Pied Piper of Hamlet film though.

To answer the question, this would've been right up his ally. Though, still not certain if even Bluth would've been a good fit on the kinda stuff these novels present. NIMH is a good comparison though. I am wondering if this Netflix venture will give the characters Beatles-esque voices, as the author was from the same area as Paul & George.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Another interesting question, should Netflix feature Redwall protagonists besides Martin the Warrior and Mathias? Redwall as a franchise spands a huge time frame and even settings outside of Redwall and Mossflower, with different protagonists, even if Martin and Mathias are the most well known.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I wonder what they will do if they adapt the later books, the villains get even more vile and horrorific as the books go on, not that villains from the first couple of books were sunshine and rainbows either.

Dragnatek

I wonder what they will do if they adapt the later books, the villains get even more vile and horrorific as the books go on, not that villains from the first couple of books were sunshine and rainbows either.
The series has this clear divide of good and evil. The villains and their minions were generally so vile and heartless that when they died you are cheering it on. And they die a lot. As I already said I hope they don't skip on that aspect. The old cartoon did pretty good job in that regard.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It's been over a year since this Redwall project was announced. With Netflix animation in choas, I wonder if Redwall is in trouble.

The Overlord

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
So it's been two and a half years since this Netflix Redwall project was announced and still no news. It has not been canceled like Bone was, so that is a good sign for this project.

What lessons do you think this Netflix Redwall project can take from the PBS-era Redwall shows?

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts