New Looney Tunes vs. Looney Tunes Cartoons?

New Looney Tunes or Looney Tunes Cartoons?

• New Looney Tunes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Looney Tunes Cartoons

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

awinger24

After production of The Looney Tunes Show has stopped after 52 episodes, Sam Register and a brilliant team at Warner Bros. Animation finally decided to bring the Looney Tunes back to their slapstick roots.

After countless iterations that deviated from what made the Tunes so iconic (Space Jam, Baby Looney Tunes, Loonatics Unleashed), there must have been some change at upper management 4-5 years after the Laff Riot pilot was failed to be picked up.

We got Wabbit (Season 1) which later was revamped as New Looney Tunes starting with Season 2. Transitioning from a show that focused on just Bugs Bunny to a show featuring nearly every single Looney Tunes character they have including obscure characters like Sniffles and Gabby Goat. It didn't reach a wide audience, but when Pete Browngardt came on board, he and the WBA team where commissioned 1,000 minutes of brand new shorts and interstitials that have been in production from 2018 to 2021. That became Looney Tunes Cartoons and it has proven to be widely popular on HBO Max bringing the Tunes back to mainstream relevancy once again.

Which iteration do you think is the best? New Looney Tunes or Looney Tunes Cartoons?

I'll give my pros and cons.

Pros
Wabbit/NLT:
- The show was able to utilize a huge assortment of Looney Tunes characters. Plus, the show has experimented with different pairings and team ups.
- Many of the episode concepts were quite creative.

LTC:
- A complete return to the 1940s and 1950s style of the cartoons from the opening and closing title cards and everything.
- They stayed true to the character's personalities.
- Again, many creative plots, even with one-off shorts.

Cons
Wabbit/NLT:
- Some of the character designs may hinge on some.
- The execution of the plots are hit and miss, but it never stopped the crew from experimenting.

LTC:
- The crew does not know what shorts are being released in future batches.
- It does feel limited with only 6 plot choices (Bugs, Bugs and Elmer, Bugs and Yosemite Sam, Daffy and Elmer, Porky and Daffy, Sylvester and Tweety), and because of the episodes being released in batches, the formulas might get too repetitive. I highly recommend that this should not be binge-watched.
- The slapstick violence may be a little too much.
- Not to mention the media making a bug fuss about Elmer's fire arm being "removed" just for brownie points.

What are your thoughts on this debate?

Last edited:

Goldstar!

Just a tad spicy
As much as I enjoy Looney Tunes Cartoons, I have to give it to New Looney Tunes, but just barely.

While Looney Tunes Cartoons definitely succeeds in capturing the look and feel of the original theatrical shorts, right down to replicating the title cards, theme music and credits, LTC finds a workable formula and sticks hard to it. A little more variety would be nice. As you mentioned, New Looney Tunes wasn't afraid to experiment with different character team-ups and combinations, some of which had never been tried up to that point. NLT would even attempt to introduce some new potential characters. The character designs on New Looney Tunes didn't bother me personally; After The Looney Tunes Show, I was just glad to see a Looney Tunes show that was actually loony.

As a bonus, NLT marked the triumphant return of the 1940s style insane version of Daffy (and yes, Looney Tunes Cartoons has this version of the Duck as well, but NLT did it first, so that show gets the nod). Also, on NLT, Lola made a few appearances. Granted, it was only 2 and a half counting her cameo at the end of "Hare to The Throne", but that's 2 and a half more appearances than she's had on Looney Tunes Cartoons so far, where we're still waiting to see her. And the show's writers tried to make Lola both athletic and funny. Personally, would have just gone with The Looney Tunes Show version of Lola, but the one that we got on New Looney Tunes seemed good to be also.

This isn't meant to be a strike against Looney Tunes Cartoons, which I also enjoy. I just feel that New Looney Tunes took more risks. Not every short was a winner, but the same can be said of the original shorts. My ideal modern day Looney Tunes series would be a hybrid of both shows. The look and feel of Looney Tunes Cartoons with the experimentation and character selection of New Looney Tunes.

Silverstar

Jet Flyin', Limousine Ridin'
New Looney Tunes I found super boring with lame jokes and lame slapstick.
Respectfully, I disagree. I thought New Looney Tunes was done pretty well overall. It wasn't a perfect reiteration of the original shorts, but that's an impossible task since most of the people who worked on those have either passed on or retired. Also, unlike The Looney Tunes Show, NLT actually had slapstick. New Looney Tunes was closer to what I was expecting The Looney Tunes Show to be. Plus, as I said in an earlier thread: any show that brings back the1940's screwloose version of Daffy Duck is A-OK in my book.

Goldstar Neo said:
My ideal modern day Looney Tunes series would be a hybrid of both shows. The look and feel of Looney Tunes Cartoons with the experimentation and character selection of New Looney Tunes.

^^This.

Moe

Looney Tunes Cartoons so far.

I prefer classic Looney Tunes as 1st.

oknazevad

My ideal modern day Looney Tunes series would be a hybrid of both shows. The look and feel of Looney Tunes Cartoons with the experimentation and character selection of New Looney Tunes.
I'm going to third this sentiment. Hopefully, now that Looney Tunes Cartoons has successfully re-established the franchise's ability to appeal to older audiences while still being appealing to kids, the next batch gets a bit more leeway to play with the formula. And include Lola. I want to see a Lola short that blends her smarty and sporty, yet truly Looney, NLT persona with the classic Clampett-style look of LTC. I just think that is what the character needs.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts