"New Looney Tunes" News & Discussion Thread

Lemanic

Yes, let's do this! Discuss the next instalment of the Looney Tunes franchise here.

680x478

Wabbit - A Looney Tunes Production: The hilarious, heroic and mischievous Bugs Bunny you love is back! From Warner Bros. Animation, Bugs stars in an all-new series consisting of comedic shorts that find the iconic carrot-loving rabbit matching wits against (and getting the best of) classic characters like Yosemite Sam and Wile E. Coyote. Along the way, Bugs will encounter brand-new foes…and he’ll have some help from new friends like Bigfoot and Squeaks the squirrel.

For me, I'm outrageously cautious about this.

ChildHood90s

Loves his coffee
I'm loving the art style that in that promo image. Looking at the squirrel, I can tell a lot of zaniness is going to be coming out of him. (Either that, or squeaks pulls a Daffy, and has his serious/super sly moments of screen time.)

Dixie_Chick89

Clemont fan
I'm hoping this will be good since it sounds like it'll be like the classic shorts. Plus, the style in the image looks pretty neat too.

Can't wait to hear more about it.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
I've already given my first impressions of this show on my blog, so rather than parrot myself, I'll just link it here.

Dr.Pepper

If it is more faithful to the original shorts, then count me in. I was not much of a fan of the sitcom style Loony Tunes Show.

dth1971

First Mickey Mouse gets new cartoon shorts, and now it's Bugs Bunny's turn.

I wonder if Lola Bunny, Daffy Duck, and/or Porky Pig will appear in these new WABBIT shorts.

Classic Speedy

Mildly perturbed
Staff member
Reporter
Jerry Beck made a good point on Stu's Show on Wednesday: While none of these revivals are likely to match the originals, they're worthwhile for two reasons:
1) They keep the characters/franchises relevant, instead of letting them fade into obscurity, and
2) These new shows are often accompanied by DVD releases of the classic material. Think about it: When Looney Tunes Back in Action debuted, what did we get? Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 1, plus some theatrical shorts (yes, most of them went unreleased, but still, they were made). TLTS debuted in 2011, and a few months later we got Looney Tunes Platinum Collection Vol. 1. That seems to be the way these big studios operate: They wouldn't bother with a release on its own, but if they can tie it in with a major new series or movie, that's okay.

So, I'm hoping for good things, both when it comes to this show, and the potential for DVD/Blu-ray tie-in news (fingers crossed).

wiley207

I'm hoping they get good writers, instead of using the Improv writers from the Groundlings. I've always wanted to see how the "Duck Dodgers," "Tom and Jerry Tales" or "Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated" team would handle writing such a project (Paul Rugg, a writer for the latter who was also an Animaniacs veteran, did contribute to one episode of the Looney Tunes Show. Maybe he'll work for this one too.)
Good music would be an added plus. Andy Sturmer's music for "The Looney Tunes Show" wasn't that good, and was also rather sparse. Maybe Robert J. Kral could score it, like he did with "Duck Dodgers" (he also worked on SD:MI and the recent Scooby-Doo movies and specials.)
It would be good for this to be more 'toony than "The Looney Tunes Show." And the fact it's done in the "shorts" format is an added plus! :D

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Looks like it's meant to pander to people who hated The Looney Tunes Show.

Silverstar

Adorable Li'l Monster
Looks like it's meant to pander to people who hated The Looney Tunes Show.

Is that a bad thing? New Looney Tunes shows every few years keep the characters and the franchise relevant and fresh in peoples' minds, and this series being allegedly closer to the shorts in look and feel equals win/win in my book.

Jazz1000

Evil PLANS...
i already gave my options and and thoughts of this on my youtube channel nit ill say again here
i thought this be better the TLTS not that show bad idea and don'y gove me wrong new thingsn are always good for show but i have that feeling that im gonna enjoy this show more then TLTS

Toon Master

I actually hate the art style on the first post. I guess I'll be one of the few. I also didn't mind the sitcom style of the Looney Tunes Show, but I would rather have it go back to the ways of the original shorts which it seems like this show will be doing.

Lemanic

Well, one of the more prominent complaints about "TLTS" was the awkward and tactless pacing, which stemmed from the fact that it was in fact a 22-minute sitcom. Hope the shorts format with smoothen up things.

Dudley

Staff member
Well, one of the more prominent complaints about "TLTS" was the awkward and tactless pacing, which stemmed from the fact that it was in fact a 22-minute sitcom. Hope the shorts format with smoothen up things.

I agree, comedic cartoons work best in shorter formats.

Anthonynotes

I'm looking forward to seeing "Wabbit" as well, not being a big fan of TLTS. Hopefully Daffy here won't come off feeling like a knockoff of "Aqua Teen Hunger Force"'s Master Shake (as his TLTS self felt like), and resembles one of his more classic versions, whichever version you prefer...

wiley207

I had high hopes for the looney tunes show before it aired and was disappointed. With same crew on this one I had doubts

The only "Same crew" I know on this one is Jessica Borutski, but I think she has a higher position this time than she did on "The Looney Tunes Show." Much of the rest of the crew (i.e. the writers and directors) had almost NO experience with the Looney Tunes, which is why they need a good creative team.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jeff Bergman voices Bugs again, and most of the voices are also the same. Though if they make Wile E. Coyote talk (as it did mention that he would be one of Bugs's foes), I sure hope Kevin Michael Richardson doesn't voice him. I don't want Wile E. to sound like Tech E. Coyote; that voice would not fit at all...

ChildHood90s

Loves his coffee
Jessica Borutski is on this show? That's awesome. I loved her take on the classic Looney Tune's art style. Now I can't wait to see what this looks like in motion.

Brad12

As i've said in other threads, i believe people feel like it was always their intention to make The Looney Tunes Show like the shorts when that was never the case. The Looney Tunes Show from the ground up was just meant to be its own thing. It was never supposed to be like the shorts so when people say it disappointed them because it wasn't like the shorts i just don't get it cuz it was never supposed to be that way. It was just supposed to be it's own thing in a modern day setting. Because i was expecting what they said it was gonna be, thats why i enjoyed it and wasn't disappointed. I feel people would've enjoyed it better had they not been expecting it to be like the shorts. I don't think it had anything to do with the crews experience with Looney Tunes. They just needed a crew that could write a sitcom show not a shorts-like show. And that's what they got.

As for this show, its the same deal. I'm expecting what it says its gonna do. Which is do what they did in the classics. I wonder if Spike and Tony will be working on this show. And i as i mentioned in the other thread about the 2014-2015 programming highlights, i hope they continue to explore some of the elements from TLTS with this show such as Bugs and Daffy being civilized. We all know Daffy will be in the show. I hope that they keep him and Bugs on the same page as they did TLTS as i enjoyed watching them both get praise and attention together rather than making Daffy be the butt of the jokes who gets made a fool of. Being treated as equals those two was just awesome. And like someone said earlier on the thread, if they go back to an earlier feel for Daffy, i hope it's his 1940's version. I'd rather see his crazy, heart of gold side than his jerk side. I hope Tina and Lola will be in it. It's our chance to see Lola be her insane self in classic looney tunes feel and idk about the rest of you but Tina has always come off to me as a sitcom version of Slappy Squirrel from Animaniacs so if she's used in this show, i can picture her being like Slappy when it comes to foes and what not.

Lastly, i believe this show will prob come out next year. if it was just recently announced, its prob in the early stages of production so we prob won't get it for a while. Can't wait for this show.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts