"New Gods" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

the greenman

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
I admit I'm probably one of the few who though didn't LOVE A Wrinkle In Time, felt it had some merits and wasn't a terrible film. It wasn't really that good of one however and was well... average with a solid message and amusing visuals but a not very well flowing story with a lot of pretty meh characters in it. Regardless of whether or not I hated or loved it, the movie not only pretty heavily bombed at the box office but was also a pretty heavy critical failure as well. One that honestly really should of prevented Ava from getting any more mainstream box office traction, much less still pursuing that other offer after this one severely bombed. Maybe it's just trying to make a stance for diversity or something but after one giant film you really shouldn't be given another to play with. Unless of course DC is just using that as a smokescreen excuse and know that since Ava bombed doing a project whith her particular stamp on it with Wrinkle, will more strong arm her into following they're path for whatever they want the new gods movie to be pointing out "as shown before it's not going to work if you try to do it exactly your way." Which I guess is kind of a messed up way of thinking about these sort of things but sadly is the only "reasonable" way I can justify her being given such another big chance so soon. Especially on a project that let's face it not a lot of people have vested interest in, and DC isn't the MCU where they can just make films based off whatever and expect to get flooded with a ton of cash. They either need the movies to be good or to have some sort of flavor or character to appeal to a general audience, like Joker and Harley Quinn for Suicide Squad. What exactly would New Gods have for that? Darkseid yeah is the big bad of the DC Universe but he doesn't have the general love other DC villains do to carry a project on his own or with even less well known supporting players.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It reeks of DC/WB grabbing whoever's in the spotlight currently. But the aesthetic of A Wrinkle in Time and her popularity can't be ignored I guess. Plus, DC could position it as their Guardians of the Galaxy and expand on non-Earth canon.

Still I'm totally down for a New Gods movie despite my suspicions.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I think if anyone would be a good fit for a New Gods movie, it would be a visionary director like Ava DuVernay, even if I have my doubts that this will have any more mileage then most of the properties DC seems interested in making to film :shrug:.

That being said, I would totally be down for New Gods movie ;).

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I mean....at least we'll finally get to see Darkseid.

I'm not really fans of the New Gods in general, but it could make for a really grand sci-fi film if done right.

the greenman

I admit, I'm not the biggest Fourth/Fifth World fan. I know what I know from the DCAU and a few readups. First off, this film should have nothing to do with earth. This really is DC's chance to go "cosmic" without the baggage of the past few films. I do hope to see them concentrate on Orion and his conflict with Darkseid, Mr. Miracle with Granny, and maybe even the Forever People as well as Forager's insect people at war with Apokolips. Yeah, too much in one film, which worries me. They need a singular purpose to this. Perhaps if they do Flashpoint, it opens a rift in outer space and it is known by both High Father and Darkseid.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I admit, I'm not the biggest Fourth/Fifth World fan. I know what I know from the DCAU and a few readups. First off, this film should have nothing to do with earth. This really is DC's chance to go "cosmic" without the baggage of the past few films. I do hope to see them concentrate on Orion and his conflict with Darkseid, Mr. Miracle with Granny, and maybe even the Forever People as well as Forager's insect people at war with Apokolips. Yeah, too much in one film, which worries me. They need a singular purpose to this. Perhaps if they do Flashpoint, it opens a rift in outer space and it is known by both High Father and Darkseid.
The truce between New Genesis and Apokolips could be the foundation of the story. Orion investigates a violation, i.e. Steppenwolf going to Earth, but discovers an even bigger conspiracy afoot - maybe the Anti-Life Equation but not necessarily - and they quickly move away from the movie canon and go "cosmic" as you say. I'd love to see the Forever People shine. I'd love to see them full on reference Kirby similar to Waititi incorporating Kirby designs in Thor: Ragnarok.

the greenman

Ava DuVernay has gone on record that Big Barda is her favorite Superhero, so I imagine her relationship with Scott will likely be one of the central elements of the film :).
Yeah, that's why I feel this is kinda daunting task. Seeing how there is no script, or outline, I wouldn't be surprised it she drops out. Seems they want to explain what they already setup with the Fourth World aspects of the DC universe. Much like Marvel's GOTG and soon FOX with X-Men Dark Phoenix. I'm concerned with how vast this is. For a first film, we probably need the bare necessities; specifically Apokolips. I think DuVernay might be better suited for a Mr. Miracle solo film, seeing her affinity for Barda. They have a chance to do a genre "escape" film in this. Shawshank, Escape From Alcatraz, Escape from New York, Papillion, The Great Escape, even Chicken Run.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk
0c2cb0a47bd83fe41fa690792ad72f18.jpg
426ad8463c3e76166937e6603784e94d.jpg

the greenman

July 25th:
Well, all power to him, but I don't know if I can see him as Scott Free :sweat:.
Yeah, certainly not. Honestly, I used to like the idea of Armie Hammer, but can we find a Big Barda bigger than him?

October 13th:
Well, good to see someone doing their homework:

Ava DuVernay Teases 'New Gods' Movie

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts