Paramount reportedly up for sale

the greenman

Honestly, I don't find it surprising. This is one of the older studios that never really seemed to make headway with trying to advance itself. I think the combo of being linked with CBS was a sort of crutch.

Not like they don't have good IP. Transformers, GI Joe, kinda Ninja Turtles. Just don't seem to know what to do with it.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

harry580

I wonder if someone could buy it like maybe some Japanese company like toshiba

and also, for those saying paramount don't have good ip, what about mission impossible or top gun or jack ryan or even Italian job?

harry580

I wouldn't be surprise if Lionsgate buyout paramount global, I mean, they already bought out the Weinstein company library, eone studios & more plus they recently spun off Starz so maybe Lionsgate can make a bid for paramount global

DeanBurrito25

That is interesting. It seemed like the tide had been turning for Paramount over the last few years, especially with Top Gun: Maverick being such a high grossing success last year; even this year's Killers of The Flower Moon is off to a strong start (albeit that one is also produced by Apple). If an acquisition were to happen, all of Paramount's brands underneath - Nick, Comedy Central, MTV and the like - would be ostensibly affected. I just wonder how far reaching the effects would be. I can't even think of which studio would acquire them in this case.

Every so often, I wonder how much things would have been different for the studio if Disney hadn't bought Marvel and they still distributed the rest of the MCU movies. I wonder if that would have helped them be in a better spot than they are now.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
This is the original article here:

News sources like CNBC unfortunately are exaggerating like crazy.

Still, the article says that the window of opportunity for a merger/sale/whatever has passed.

Oof. Are we really going to only have FOUR major film studios soon?

Disney/20th
Universal
Sony
WBD

This is getting sad.
I doubt that's what is happening here.

Last edited:

PF9

Putting Bleeps on a Streaming Show Is Stupid
If Charter can pay off its debt then in a few years they should buy Paramount Global and in the process integrate the regional news and sports networks under Spectrum into the CBS Entertainment Group.

the greenman

Oof. Are we really going to only have FOUR major film studios soon?

Disney/20th
Universal
Sony
WBD

This is getting sad.
Well, it's pretty unfortunate that if you look at it, both Universal (Comcast) and Columbia (Sony)are now really owned by tech companies. The rumors of Apple and Amazon owning Disney and WB can't be fictional at this point.

So, question is where does that leave Paramount? Especially since they are so tethered to CBS. I'm not even certain it will get through the government like the Disney FOX thing.

harry580

Well, it's pretty unfortunate that if you look at it, both Universal (Comcast) and Columbia (Sony)are now really owned by tech companies. The rumors of Apple and Amazon owning Disney and WB can't be fictional at this point.

So, question is where does that leave Paramount? Especially since they are so tethered to CBS. I'm not even certain it will get through the government like the Disney FOX thing.

I bet Netflix will get it, I mean, they would use the paramount home entertainment arm to replace their dvd & blu ray service that they recently dumped and do more theatrical releases

the greenman

I bet Netflix will get it, I mean, they would use the paramount home entertainment arm to replace their dvd & blu ray service that they recently dumped and do more theatrical releases
Yeah, they would be the first one I imagine to grab them, but they're basically staying afloat as opposed to having a massive profit.

Elijah Abrams

Just deal with it!
There have been reports lately that Shari Redstone wants to part ways with Paramount Global and have David Ellison and RedBird Capital acquire it. While that sounds great, giving potential to Skydance Media and Skydance Animation being folded into Paramount Pictures, leading to John Lasseter getting the boot, what's bothering me is that if this goes through, then assets such as CBS, the MTV networks, Pluto TV, and Nickelodeon will be sold off, and Paramount+ will be closed down, per an analyst.

harry580

if they allowed to do that, maybe sold cbs, mtv networks, Pluto tv & Nickelodeon to sony while david Ellison's paramount will keep paramount network & paramount plus and maybe relaunch upn & paramount comedy, maybe make a new channel for children (paramount kids & family anyone?)

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts