Netflix Signs Deal With Alex Hirsch

Latest News & Videos

Toon4Thought

Giving a slightly closer look.
Sep 3, 2013
Netflix has been very hit and miss with their adult animation (for every Bojack Horseman, there's a Paradise PD), but knowing Alex Hirsch's style and how Netflix shows can potentially come out... I'm really not sure if I'm prepared to deal with what it is he has in store. Put simply, it may make Gravity Falls seem unremarkable by comparison.

That, and honestly Netflix is like the only adult animation distributor that seems remotely trustworthy at this point. Adult Swim barely has money, TBS has delayed Close Enough to oblivion, and FOX and Comedy Central just want Family Guy clone number 50.

Reactions: 1 person

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I think if there's anyone I can see delivering some pretty original and entertaining adult animation that isn't just a low-brow comedy show, it's Alex Hirsch :cool:.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
This is pretty cool news. There aren't a lot of adult animated series that I find too interesting or appealing, but given how I enjoyed Gravity Falls, I could see Alex Hirsch being able to make a new series that might catch my attention. The fact that it will be on Netflix might mean that he'll have more creative freedom than if he was developing a show for a TV network too.

Troy Troodon

Jan 16, 2014
Well speak of the devil and he shall appear. I bragged earlier on this site, and on BTVA that I'd like to see an adult animated mystery show like an adult version of GF... and it seems we may well be getting that. (mind you it may not be mystery for all we know but still)

Reactions: 2 people

jaylop97

Staff member
Oct 5, 2014
Austin, Texas
This is similar to JG Quintel working on an adult cartoon for TBS, considering both Quintel and Hirsch made pretty popular programs for the networks they worked in. It's nice that Netflix has given Hirsch the opportunity to continue developing more content.

SourSweetGone

Simultaneously Too Old &Too Young For The Internet
Mar 31, 2017
US
I just hope he doesn't use the same style of art as his shows, otherwise things would get confusing.
How? How would that be remotely confusing? If it's a different show with a different name on a different platform I highly doubt anyone will mistake it for Gravity Falls.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
How? How would that be remotely confusing? If it's a different show with a different name on a different platform I highly doubt anyone will mistake it for Gravity Falls.
If the show uses the same art style as Gravity Falls, it's possible for people at first glance to think they're looking at a kids show. It's like how Sausage Party visually resembles something from Disney or Dreamworks, yet it's content speaks otherwise.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

some Twitter thread I started about my history with CN, inspired by this trend of telling your history with a channel there.
Currently watching Klaus on Netflix, cause it's Christmas in July. :p

I'm at St Joseph, MO though.
The 2005 "Fantastic Four" film is 15 years old today.
Mr. Enter's true colors have been finally revealed.
Today we start the crossovers edition of Media Brackets. This matchup is between "The Manny With The Golden Bear" (Special Agent Oso and Handy Manny) and "Into The Hundred Acre Wood" (Doc McStuffins and Winnie The Pooh).