Netflix "Castlevania" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
And yet it did absolutely nothing for her in a fight against a Cyclops.

Not the point. To reiterate my previous post, Sypha was smart enough to be armed (with magic) while venturing into the cave and not go in unarmed like some dumb yokel. Her losing to the cyclops is irrelevant to PapaGreg's point.

Last edited:

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Not the point. To reiterate my previous post, Sypha was smart enough to be armed (with magic) while venturing into the cave and not go in unarmed like some dumb yokel. Her losing to the cyclops is irrelevant to PapaGreg's point.

That makes her about as smart as a post.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
If you never trashed other shows for being too edgy, dark or edgelord, than yes.
Just... No. You know what? I am allowed to watch whatever I like, no matter what opinions I have previously offered. You don't actually control me. What's weird is that I don't understand why you seem to want that.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
1. No.
2. This:

The dead infant slaughtered in the second episode.

And this is not abhorrent, edgelord shock material for the sake of shock value because?

This all happens in the show's second episode early on.

Also, I reviewed the second season. Pacing isn't great, but Dracula as the central character is fantastic. Action and animation look great. Love the backgrounds and exteriors. The castle looks fantastic.

https://411mania.com/movies/castlevania-season-2-review/

However, I really don't want to see grandstanders who trashed Goblin Slayer to praise this show. It's hypocrisy at the highest level.

Last edited:

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Thats because Castlevania is actually good and mature, while Goblin Slayer is stupid wish fulliment with a coat of edge

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Light Lucario

Staff member
Okay everyone. The Goblin Slayer argument is just a bit too off-topic for this thread. Let's just go back to focusing on Castlevania itself.

PapaGreg

Im on episode 3 so far and I really like how the bad guys are getting attention

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Zanneck

HAIL NEO ARCADIA. NEO ARCADIA FOREVER.
No one who trashed Goblin Slayer or any show for being too edgy or edgelord has the right to watch Season 2 of Castlevania.

I've only been exposed to the first 3 or 4 episodes of Season 1 and I can't argue with that at all. This show is pretty awesome, so that's because, IMHO.

I admit I'm in no hurry to watch more, but deep down, I eventually need to.

PapaGreg

So finished the season and while its good I had some problems
Pros
As always every character gets depth including the Vampire Viking Grombrand who despite being a dumb Brute is was smart enough to figure out Dracula want a war that led to his death than actually completing the objective of killing humans
The dialogue is why I love Warren Ellis, the dude can not only make dialogue poetic and eloquent but also crude and funny. A good example Carmilla who is dialogue can be described if someone talked similar to an 18th century novel but sprinkled in f and s word .
The animation while a bit choppy and had that weird rotoscope scene, really improved compared to the 1st season. Not only its more fluid but we get even more awesome fight scenes involving pretty much everyone.
Cons
While we get more Vampire Generals we only focus on Gombrand and Carmilla which sucks because while I enjoyed their characters I feel as if they had the weakest character designs
It was kinda annoying how in the first 3 episodes are heroes were doing nothing but reading books in a library, I know the reason but its not really interesting.

Season 2 gets an 8/10

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Castlevania "War Council"

That was great. The teaser at the beginning is another thing to state that Dracula's mission is actually righteous.

I like Isaac and Hector and I like Dracula's reason for trusting them.

I also like that Lisa didn't want Alucard to be defined by his father. It didn't work out that way, but that is a good thing for a mother to want for her son.

The animation continues to be gorgeous.

Love the graphic of NES Trevor in the end credit production company card.

Nice start to the season. ****.

Castlevania "Old Homes"

I liked the comical scene in the beginning with Alucard, Sypha, and Trevor.

The scene of Dracula and Camille by the fireplace was interesting too.

What I liked about the hero's campfire scene is that at first Trevor is dismissive of the idea that Dracula was a great man and a scientist, and Alucard thinks him thinking differently is a weakness. An Alucard is right. If Trevor truly had no idea that Dracula was capable of goodness before this night, that means he has no idea what he's facing, or any idea that Dracula's wrath is righteous. And righteous wrath is the most dangerous kind.

Gorgeous animation of the creature burning itself alive.

Interesting episode. ***1/2.

Caslevania "Shadow Battles"

I like that Godbrand is thinking towards the future. And if vampires are immortal, those are the right questions to be asking. He's also right that Dracula's quest is more than likely a suicide mission. The end of humanity means the eventual end of vampires. Maybe Dracula is cool with that, but perhaps his army didn't sign up for that.

Interesting episode. I like how heavily the season is focusing on the villains. Fascinating stuff. ***1/2.

Castlevania "Broken Mast"

Liked Godbrand's flashback at the beginning.

Glad the show is getting into the ridiculousness of the name Trevor. Would that Buffy ever did that.

Hector and Isaac had very different reactions to learning about the betrayal, didn't they? Frankly, I have a hard time believing Hector didn't understand what he was getting into, no matter WHAT Dracula said. It's a war against humanity, and he's one of the only two humans on the court. How does he actually think this ends?

Hector believes Dracula loved Lisa, and Camilla believes he mistook his pet for a wife. Hector is probably right, but there might be some truth in Camilla's notion anyways.

Dracula's scene with Isaac in his cabin was riveting. Amazing voice performances from both actors.

The one scene I didn't like was witnessing Godbrand's gory slaughter. I did not need to see that.

But the rest of the episode was good. ***1/2.

Castlevania "Last Spell"

For the record, even though Dracula's crusade against humanity is righteous, these flashback prove that Dracula IS evil.

Hector's in too deep now. Sucker.

Never heard of Adamic language before. Although it makes a weird kind of sense.

Getting good. ***1/2.

Castlevania "The River"

That was a little bit awesome.

Great climatic scene of the castle moving and causing tidal waves and tornadoes with its appearance and disappearance. Excellently boarded action sequence there.

Trevor has... a stick! He'll understand if you want to run away now.

I love the notion of magic as intent. What an amazing way to think about that.

The bad guys were so busy conniving against each other they didn't see the good guys coming. I almost feel bad for them. What the eff is that?

I was sick of the library anyways. ****1/2.

Castlevania "For Love"

The Morningstar Whip! That was some amazing whip action. And when the vampire's head exploded? Are you kidding me? Awesome! And those freaking ghost vampire ladies? And did you see Dracula's shapeshifting action? Holy cow!

Alucard thinks the war must end on behalf of his mother, and Dracula thinks it endures on her behalf. Either way Alucard is right that it seems like the world's longest suicide note.

Isn't it great that in the end, even Dracula isn't above redemption? I love that he practically ALLOWS his son to kill him.

I also love the idea that by sparing Isaac's life, that was Dracula's biggest betrayal of all. And it shouldn't have been. That was him being kind. I don't even think Isaac understood what a gift and sacrifice that was.

Little Alucard looks like a total ponce in that portrait.

That was amazing. *****.

Castlevania "End Times"

That was a LITTLE overlong, and there were too many false endings. The story ending on Alucard crying didn't feel like the right one either.

I loved Isaac turning into Django Unchained's righteous fury at the oasis. For the record, as far as payback goes, I find eating the jerk a WEE bit too far, but maybe that's just me.

I am surprised Hector saw that ending any other way. He is an idiot.

The thing I like about the Trevor and Sypha ship is how chaste and tentative it is. It's sweet. This is both very new for them and I like that we ended at that particular stage. It felt like a happy beginning, rather than a happy ending. Which is more interesting to me.

But that was the highlight of the episode. The rest disappointed me a bit. ***1/2.

Gatordragon

A jester is you!
So finished the season and while its good I had some problems
Pros
As always every character gets depth including the Vampire Viking Grombrand who despite being a dumb Brute is was smart enough to figure out Dracula want a war that led to his death than actually completing the objective of killing humans
The dialogue is why I love Warren Ellis, the dude can not only make dialogue poetic and eloquent but also crude and funny. A good example Carmilla who is dialogue can be described if someone talked similar to an 18th century novel but sprinkled in f and s word .
The animation while a bit choppy and had that weird rotoscope scene, really improved compared to the 1st season. Not only its more fluid but we get even more awesome fight scenes involving pretty much everyone.
Cons
While we get more Vampire Generals we only focus on Gombrand and Carmilla which sucks because while I enjoyed their characters I feel as if they had the weakest character designs
It was kinda annoying how in the first 3 episodes are heroes were doing nothing but reading books in a library, I know the reason but its not really interesting.

Season 2 gets an 8/10

I just finished season 2 and I more or less agree with this. As dragging as the main trio chilling in the library was, I did like their interactions and humor.

Man, that final battle was fantastic! Especially the brawl between Alucard and Dracula. That was some great animation. It felt more like a superhero movie fight or the Kratos and Baldur fights than a typical anime fight. A lot of work definitely went into making that final battle. I rewound that part several times because I kept feeling those hits. Hoo!

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Warren Ellis needs a story editor or co-writer for Season 3. You can't have the heroes dinking around in a library for half the season.

PapaGreg

Warren Ellis needs a story editor or co-writer for Season 3. You can't have the heroes dinking around in a library for half the season.
Eh its a small gripe that had some good dialogue and development.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I think that was done to show that the season was more about the villains than the heroes. And it was. But I was sick of that setting for the heroes after awhile too.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Why is it automatically assumed that if a person were to suddenly gain super powers they'll put on tights and either immediately decide to save the world or conquer/destroy it?
the sports junkie in me really loves playing Sports Reference's Immaculate Grid games. nice way to start off each morning.
Whenever I watch the RiffTrax version of The Apple, I get that "Hey, Hey, Hey, BIM's on the way!" song stuck in my head.

Plus, Alfie and Bibi's love song sounds kind of like the He-man/She-Ra song "I Have the Power".
Currently being forced to watch the Twilight Saga. Three more 2+ hour films to go.

Help. Me.
If Dick Dastardly ever returns in a SCOOB! sequel, I am sure he will be voiced by Mike Pollock. What do you think?

Featured Posts